Awesomes of the Internets

My relationship with hazeron is long and complicated, but to summarize, haxus is a dick and i have no interest in playing his games anymore, and i advise against doing so unless you have a… scientific curiosity… about how those kind of game mechanics work in practice.

From what i wrote elsewhere in response to this news:

Im sure that’s great, for people who actually want to play the game again that gave them 60 seconds notice before deleting everything. The game where defending yourself from the wrong empire in game meant the dev’s friend who has GM powers for some reason might delete your fleets after sending you threatening PMs. Where the sole developer publicly declared his hatred for his community in an epic tirade, making posts about how his wife hates everyone who plays haz before deleting it the next minute, then posting it again and deleting it again, before nuking half the forums by misusing anti-spam tools, leaving threads with only one poster talking to themselves everywhere.

We crushed that GM’s empire into dust through sheer force of will (and abuse of several bugs, the GM powers in hazeron were buggier and harder to use than the game itself so he gave up after awhile) after what he did. Also my group bailed on the game a little over a year before it shut down, we’d already moved on by the time haxus decided one morning that he’d had enough and took it down. We had some fun on his forums in the few hours they lasted after the game went down dumping some evidence and messing with that aforementioned GM who ended up calling haxus and asking him to take the forums down. I could go on. I probably shouldn’t.

edit: anyways what he’s doing is putting up a stripped down version of hazeron to go in addition to his pay to win, pay to play 2$ game that’s just an even more stripped down version of hazeron. It’s really silly.

2 Likes

Not quite the reply I was expecting. I only figured since you’ve spoken about it previously I assumed that you enjoyed it. My bad!

I do vaguely remember someone on the old forums talking about hazeron in that way so I’m going to assume that was you as well. Ironically, the little I did play it was because you brought it up and I was curious. I only played for a week or two at the time and never of any extended length.

It’s pretty funny isn’t it, i use the game’s mechanics a lot in relevant discussion, b/c it was such a great testbed, but at the same time ended up having alot of negative experience due to what i mentioned.

I really did enjoy it though, tons, but the haxus. I hope you had fun too during the time you played, it was a really interesting concept.

I was able to play with a couple friends and we ended up getting to the point where we made out first interstellar capable spaceship…and then we sorta stopped playing. It was a good time though and a great concept. Although we had no money for the first few days of our empire because I had no idea you actually had to make bullion! I facepalmed so hard when I found that out.

http://www.trekcore.com/audio/

http://tng.trekcore.com/audio/#Iconic

:slight_smile:

1 Like

5 Year Time-lapse of the Sun by NASA

2 Likes

No big bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning
I didn’t read much of it. Have fun.

1 Like

My popcorns are ready :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just found out some interesting features for this forum.

There are keyboard shortcuts.

u = Go back to previously viewed page
j/k = Go up/down one topic/post (highlighed in red)
o = Open topic
r = respond to selected post
c = create new topic
p = preferences
n = notifications
= = catagories etc

I’m not sure why you would use these over a mouse/trackpad, but they are there.

3 Likes

Argh. Mars One makes me sigh so hard. It’s a great concept but it’s doomed to so much failure it’s not even funny. If by some miracle they get enough funding to launch the first “colonists” they will be dead fairly soon after arrival at Mars…

I seriously wonder where they get their funding and more importantly their technology from. Last I checked we don’t have any interplanetary transfer vehicles for sale(by anyone) or even landing stages. I feel bad for those people who are being selected for hopefully nothing, because their fate is either nothing or death.

I don’t have much confidence in unnamed, untested, and unproven space technology that is supposed to send not just a few humans, but a hundred interplanetary 8 years from now. It’s a completely unrealistic goal.

1 Like

But maybe we get some good TV of the preparations here in Earth?

What sort of preparations? I’d rather not see 100 people blow up on the pad…I’m not entirely bitter about it though. I just hope nobody dies. It’s already a waste of money, it doesn’t need to be a waste of life. As long as that happens, I’m okay with the publicity space exploration will get from it.

Well mostly training in the desert / arctic and stuff like that (I understood that will be the next phase). I see that as mostly harmless stuff that might actually contribute to some future colonization efforts.

If they manage to lay the groundwork for a nearly self sufficient base in the arctic that grows their own food and produces their own electricity then IMO that will definitely be a success even if the launch fails. It’s a long way from being in an even more hostile environment, but it’s a start. I agree with you that that will be interesting to watch as it develops.

I have a feeling it will be turned into some sort of reality TV show thing and less about the actual mission of going to Mars and I don’t know how I feel about about that…It’s hard not to be pessimistic about the project due to the unknowns.

1 Like

Maybe that would make for actually interesting and, well, realistic reality TV?

…

Now that would make them go to Mars likely by comparison :smile:

1 Like

You mean this?

Antarctic, so doesn’t have to deal with ocean currents, but other than that it’s been done. With greenhouse and airlocks and everything. And they can’t even use solar panels for half the year.

If these ’ “colonists” ’ are willing to risk their lives on their equipment working in a hostile environment, and willing to accept that even if it does the radiation will probably get them sooner rather than later, why not?

Sure, getting funding will be harder as most organizations don’t really want to make their slogan “we sent 100 people to another planet to die”… but if you think about it, “we gave cancer and fatal inability to breathe to 100 people who knew what they were getting into” would actually sound really positive, relatively speaking, in a tobacco commercial.

3 Likes

Exactly. The Antarctic is probably the best analog that we have for Mars. But the site needs to be devoid of ice, so they’d operate in one of Antarctica’s dry valleys, as high as practical. Set up a habitat that can operate fairly autonomously (an incredibly difficult feat in itself), then lob the Mars 100 people at it in launch increments and let them stay there for a couple years without going mad or being wiped out by an equipment failure.

If I was running the program, I’d find people who are very good at coming up with ways to virtually kill off colonists. They would represent Mars, and Mars doesn’t like you. They’re like those RPG gamemasters who enjoyed killing off their player’s characters.

Because of the impact of their antics on the rest of humanity.

Mercury/Gemini/Apollo, Challenger, Columbia, SpaceX… there is a long list of spectacular successes and failures that have had a significant impact on the way people think about space, and I’d hate to see manned spaceflight turned into some sort of tragic joke by suicidal drama queens. I don’t know how much the label of “suicidal drama queens” applies to the Mars 100 program, but that’s the real concern; will they do more harm than good?

1 Like

I used to agree, however, given the timeline… SpaceX may well make their goals a possibility with re-usability and pushing for the Red Planet themselves. :wink:

I had no idea this existed, I’ll have to read up on it soon.

I know the colonists are willing to risk their lives and that’s what they want to do. But there is so little chance for success they’re playing russian roullete with their lives in a gun with 99 out of 100 chambers filled with bullets. I would think some of them actually want to live on Mars, not just die on the way or within days of getting there.

I was actually going to say something similar but I didn’t. If SpaceX is going to send people to Mars…the first people they send will not be 100 randomly chosen people selected over the internet. It will be specialists and people who know how to do everything they need know in order to make the first of the colony successful. Maybe afterwards when they have a spare MCT or start hiring them out. MAYBE. I also haven’t seen any plans for a collaboration(or mention) between a SpaceX base or a Mars One base…

It’s hard to speculate about this, but I don’t see them getting the money to afford this. The best case scenario for those 100 to go, is hopping on a SpaceX MCT to the SpaceX colony…but then I feel bad for the people who are specialized and professionals(I’m assuming the first colonists will be professionals in engineering and other fields that will be necessary) in their respective fields and all of a sudden a high school band of 100 random colonists come in to make drama for a damn reality show. It is life and death, not for ratings.

1 Like

The Terrible Crossover Fanfiction Idea Generator.

Examples:

Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Sarah Palin and Dungeons & Dragons. The story should use murder as a plot device!

Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Pirates of the Caribbean and King Arthur. The story should use evil clones as a plot device!

EDIT:

Ever wondered if you can deepfry something? Wonder no more! Simply go to this website:

http://victorhh.com/exp/deepfry/

and find out within seconds!

1 Like