Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

Nope :smile:

On the “Design Challenge” idea:
I still strongly advise to concentrate on a single piece of information. This will get out of hand otherwise.
We had Yunaum design Interfaces back in the day and he alone generated quite a discussion. Even realizing Flaviens comments in the end and putting out something he liked. (Even though I liked the designs in the middle of the thread more)
Now imagine three or four guys doing the same.
I also believe that concentrating on just one information will create more and more diverse ideas.

1 Like

I always wanted to try a basic vegetation generator but I never got around to it. Theoretically they are pretty simple conceptually (getting them to work well every time in a real game is the hard part). Maybe I’ll use it as an excuse to finally learn Golang. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, there is a large amount of coding stuff that could be done as fan art challenges. But maybe this thread should be renamed to Content Challenges for Infinity?

Stop reading my mind! :smiley:

1 Like

Stick branches at 137,5° degrees? :smiley:

1 Like

There are at least two themes suggested now. How many would be interested to take part in a vegetation simulation challenge? And how many would like to make something interface related? :wink:

I was thinking of doing something with modular building design, do have two projects open though…

Well what if the challenge was modular something? :wink: Be it buildings or vegetation or even modular UI.

Just tossing ideas around here without much idea about their feasibility. But I at least would prefer some general theme so that we won’t be comparing apples to oranges once we vote.

And two simultaneous challenges might clutter the thread too much at the same time. We have had only1 challenge so far and we are running at 187 posts already :open_mouth:

I’m sure we can run all of them. The sooner we start, the better. :smile: I think it’s up to you to choose the first one.

I’m not sure @LucasFIN, coding is more suited to collaboration than competition, it’s basically a waste of resources having 3 separate people working on essentially the same project yet producing different products, the stricter the requirements the more pronounced this problem is.

However if the theme is broad enough, it could lead to some nice distinct takes on the subject and conform to typical challenge conditions. I’m ok with it being a challenge on “modular stuff”, as I would get to work on what I want, not sure how others feel about it.

3 Likes

If at least 3 participants are ok with this kind of approach I will announce Challenge 2. :smiley:

Sorry, I won’t be taking part.

I couldn’t resist and made a Modular Buildings prototype in the last 3 days. I’m probably not gonna be around next week, so consider this my entry if the challenge runs. :slight_smile:


https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32239143/modular_buildings_p0.zip

1 Like

Is t easily testable for non programmers too? :wink:

Edit: any change for a video or gif presentation?

Challenge 2 - Coding a modular prototype


Challenge category: Coding

Time: + 1 month (until Sunday 8th of February)


Time for the second challenge! There has been a lot of interest for a coding challenge so that’s what it will be. Let’s see if we can get at least 3 contestants. The more the better.

Contestants:

  • cybercritic
1 Like

I think a coding challenge is a pointless exercise to be honest. Maybe refocussing on providing art-inspiration for the people involved in this project is a better idea.

On the topic of space-ship design: I personally like designs that are “realistic”, meaning that they look like they might actually work and are believable. Wings that will work when the ship enters the atmosphere, or lack of wings and propulsion steering only etc…

I wonder if ships in infitinty will behave differently once they are in an atmosphere, and if the type and density of the atmosphere will make a difference (that could be a huge tactical factor in a battle, but its probably way beyond the feasible scope of this project).

Maybe its possible to do that. If the planets are generated, I imagine there must be a parameter for the density of the atmosphere, this parameter could be applied to the ships thrust as a factor, and it could also be applied to the ships maneuverability (dense atmosphere provides high maneuverability but limits speed, and the other way around).

Welcome to the forum TARS.

The Infinity art style is well established - ships will not have wings.

Regarding various ships behaving differently in atmospheres, I believe that is the plan but it will not be based on aerodynamic features of the ships.

I see you found how to edit you post. In future, please edit rather than double posting :smile:

Sorry for the very brief reply. I’m sure others will welcome you with more detailed responses but I just wanted to say hi and point out some basics.

2 Likes

Problem with “coding a modular prototype” is that feedback will depend almost entirely on the modules used; there’s only so many ways to do a pseudorandom “put A on top of B,” and I doubt you’ll be benchmarking performance or evaluating documentation.

On the other hand, practical experience in implementing pseudorandom “put A on top of B” seems useful so if you feel like doing a “design modules for ‘modular building’-challenge”-challenge first I’m in.

So I’ll sign you in? :slight_smile:

Hmm… Yes… non coding people most likely won’t judge the technicalities of the entries. Probably just the experience of using the prototypes and/or seeing them in action. In other words: how ‘cool’ they look :stuck_out_tongue: So is it about the coding then or just trying to create art by coding?