The engine is under development concurrently with the art tools and art workflow/pipeline. It’s difficult to provide tangible/substantial community involvement at this stage of development, other than highly skilled coders and artists wanting to put in long hours on the project for free, luckily we have found some (mostly from the community). The game design will be presented during the KS, the game development will come after the project is funded. Post KS is where we will seek much more community involvement via alpha/beta testing and feedback, ideas and other input. Once I:B is released/shipped the modding tools will follow and the community asset contributions/I-Novae marketplace can begin. There will not be any community contributions for the initial development of I:B as the art budget is scoped and set.
In terms of monthly, weekly or some of you wanting daily updates/blurbs, the art team has shown you all we are willing to show, we’ve made a decision to not show anything new until the crowd funding campaign. We are working in our spare time outside of our fulltime jobs and lives, we don’t have enough to show you without dipping into what we’ve been working on for the KS video.
In terms of coding updates, we are developing a game engine that will one day be commercially licensed to assist in the funding of current/future INS projects. I have never followed a game engine’s development before so I am not aware of just how much of the IP is shared freely on the internet, be it implementations, code, things that are busted, fixes and whatnot. Keith/Flavien can address that if they so choose. Chances are, if they are going to give blurbs, it will be on twitter, anything more substantial will show up in a blog.
We share with you in the frustration of the slow pace of development (maybe our girlfriends more than many of you :)). Remember, projects like Star Citizen and even Elite Dangerous had pre-funded funding and manpower resources that dwarf ours (and I do not believe they shared anything with their communities until they actually presented their game idea via KickStarter, which is the stage at which we currently reside), we only have our spare time + bank accounts. I know many are sick and tired of hearing that “excuse”, but it is the truth.

