A quick update as I head to GDC

Come on, we want video!

1 Like

Three months now. Is this friendly encouragement or am I just being mean?

3 Likes

It’s friendly encouragement haha. Nobody else is to blame but myself, the rest of the team has moved diligently onto our actual KS video (which is really coming together) and I’m currently the one holding up our rings video due to the aforementioned lighting tweaks. I’ve had a lot going on the last few months so my coding time has been impacted quite a bit. I apologize for the delay and greatly appreciate your patience!

5 Likes

More hope to cling onto to avoid committing suicide. Can’t wait. :smiley:

While I’d welcome a new video to kick around social media, my chequebook really has its fingers crossed that that the kickstarter will hold off until late August at this point.

It’s highly unlikely we’ll launch it before September as some of the team members will be on vacation during August.

3 Likes

This is one intrepid reporter who’s going to be doing a happy dance tonight!

Well, damn, pushed back from mid july to somewhere in september? I feel like you will always make us wait two months…

Mr. Jafo’s lobbyists have been hard at work ensuring his lead reporter can afford to pay its own way into the alpha.

Anything to keep him from picking up the tab.

With this new professional front in the form of the website (and us closer to the brink of a kickstarter than ever before) it’s easy to forget I-Novae is still the same part-time company they have been for ages.

However, this is dangerous in terms of their reputation if new people don’t know it. I’m a little sad I’ll have to wait longer, but I-Novae have to do this right in order to get funded enough to move to full-time development.

1 Like

Well they stoped giving dates. So there’s some improvement.

Somewhen somewhen … when Keith gets to solve them … them lighting sightings … hindering our two-chamber view … of the monsterous I-Novae engine … we’ll be free … to empty our pockets … trowing fake money at them.

Hey ! Who said my money is fake ? I made it myself ! Don’t go thinking that printer’s job is an easy task :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, best of luck there ! Hopefully the video should at least be ready … anytime soon :slight_smile:

So @INovaeKeith, has the video basically been scrapped in favor of pouring effort into KS material instead?

No, it’s nearly finished. We have been making some material, lighting, and planetary atmosphere changes which have required some of the assets in the video to be touched up and that’s what’s currently delaying it. The primary issue has been that using realistic quantities of light doesn’t play nice with traditional hdr/tonemapping algorithms.

4 Likes

I’ll go for four months.

2 Likes

Honestly, at this point it might be better to save the video as a precursor to the kickstarter. Realistically, you’ve got to release the KS in the next 12 weeks or so to avoid it going into the holiday season. Being able to put a date at the end of the video and having it be like 2 weeks or so before the kickstarter could start drumming up interest without it being too far away.

1 Like

What’s wrong with holiday season?

INS have always been on their own schedule, I don’t think anything external can influence their plan.

Well I’m sure it will be great. I think it be a good idea to release the KS before Elite/SC enter a more open beta stage, the end of year will be filled with those two games in the Space Sim arena, so I would avoid releasing a KS at those times. (Nov 14’ onward is going to be dominated by SC/Elite/Console releases!!!)

Perhaps September is a good month to release in I don’t know? But atm its pretty dry with not many major releases so prime time to steal the spotlight.

They can’t release before they are ready and capable of doing so, if that date falls after Nov '14, there is nothing they can do but release or wait. Maybe we should be suggesting further dates beyond '14 rather than giving deadlines for this year.

Well, if they’re going to miss this year, then the most opportune time to launch their KS, imo, is in the runup to a gaming event like GDC or E3. Launch the KS a week before with some kind of demo or in-depth video showing of the game, and use that to show to the world if you manage to get floorspace at one of these events. That would ensure Infinity would be a recurring feature in gaming press throughout the KS campaign.