Minor Miscellaneous Forum Bugs

There are threads on this forum I do not care about. None of them are in the lounge. Am I really the only person on the internet who doesn’t have to be deeply obsessed with a subject to want to read about it?

For example, while I have always hated punctuation one of my favourite webcomics is a description of how to use a semicolon and from there figuring out the correct uses of dashes and apostrophes wasn’t too large a leap:

That’s the dictionary definition of that’s, and actually [- - = ( )]

[quote]Either version may be used to denote a break in a sentence or to set off
parenthetical statements (ideally with intradocument consistency).
Style and usage guides vary,1 but often in this function en dashes are used with spaces and em dashes are used without them:[/quote]

Another of my favourite webcomics.

I hate when l and I are the same. That would be L and I.

3 Likes

I agree completely; because of it I spent years not really certain what Jupiter’s fourth-largest moon was called.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this is a chrome, android, or phone problem…but when I try to paste anything into the reply box on the forum nothing works. I’ve googled the problem and other users have had this problem before with chrome so it might be that, but I haven’t experienced this issue anywhere else. Just thought I’d let everyone know.

uh, as seen here: Awesomes of the Internets

its a bit weird that it embeds a kickstarter video just from the link, and it also autoplays for some reason. that’s pretty broken, enough of them in one thread and well, goodbye ears for anyone who opens the thread.

autoplaying anything in general is bad.

As I said in that thread:

It’s not Discourse’s fault, and if it was, Kieth wouldn’t waste his time fixing it when there are a bunch of people over at meta.discourse.org doing it.

Discourse automatically turns links into things called oneboxes which are different depending on the link. eg Links to Youtube videos get turned into an embed of that video and links to Wikipedia pages get turned into summaries.

1 Like

Chrome is complaining about “script from unauthenticated sources”. Google support page leads here Manage warnings about unsafe sites - Computer - Google Chrome Help .

edit
Warning is gone now, might be triggered by some action.

It appears after viewing the “SpaceX Current Launch” topic.

It’s probably the Imgur albums, people on Chrome have had problems with them before. At least your version of Chrome shows a warning, my (older v31) version simply doesn’t show the album. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Would it be possible to let us stay logged in longer?

I stay logged in for ages. (A month or more)

How often are you having to login?

I hit forever and have to log in about once every other week. Can go for a month then every other day. :confused:

When I watch an embedded video (e.g. YouTube) in full screen, then escape out of full screen, I am dropped into the middle of the forum thread - despite the video having been at the end of the thread. Does anyone else see this or have a solution to it? It’s rather annoying.

I’m running Chrome on Windows 7.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I’m also using Chrome and Win7…

Reproduced in Chrome. Doesn’t happen for me in Firefox.

Maybe something to do with this:
In Firefox, full screen Youtube is a separate window (Left with Flash logo in image) - I can Alt-tab back to Firefox and use the browser normally with the full-screen Flash player still running in the background.
In Chrome, going full screen takes over the Chrome browser window (3rd with Chrome logo in image)

It may be possible to change Chrome’s plug-in settings to resolve this but that’s just a guess.

I guess you could try disabling PepperFlash, Chrome’s 3rd party implementation of Flash Player. It should fall back to the official plugin. I don’t know if that’ll help, but as far as I can tell that’s pretty much the extent of the plugin settings on Chrome

The other day I could have sworn that I wasn’t suffering from this bug (also chrome on windows 7) but I just noticed it happen now. Disabling pepper flash didn’t work, but even with all versions of flash disabled the youtube videos still play… wat?

YouTube streams videos as HTML 5 by default.

About once a week or so. I couldn’t find any settings to change the log in length.

I have to log in every time I visit the site. Of course, I set the cookies to be deleted when I close the tab/firefox. Maybe it’s cookie related…

I imagine so.

forums.inovaestudios.com sets a cookie called _forum_session