todayâs xkcd comic gets an honorable mentionâŚ
![]()
Linky: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fugitivegames/into-the-stars
Looks kindof cool. ![]()
MmmâŚvery tempting. Iâll try and remember to look at this again after I get paid
why does this autoplay? thats annoying.
Scared my socks off first time.
I have no idea why it auto-plays. I just inserted the link for the kickstarter page.
Try indenting by 4 spaces. Should hopefully keep Discourse from automatically converting and playing. Will involve slightly more copy-pasting, but oh well.
Just tiping something in front of it works too:
Test: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fugitivegames/into-the-stars?ref=video
Itâs Kickstarterâs fault.
Iâve opened a ticket with Kickstarter and Iâve reported the issue here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/oneboxing-a-kickstarter-page-with-a-video-shows-just-the-video/21473/4
Using four spaces makes it no longer a linkâŚ
A couple more games to keep an eye on:
Also, a neat article from PCGAMER giving the heads-up on upcoming titles:
Talk to an AI.
Couldnât resist to compare this recently released video of a real galaxy:
âŚwith the old âInfinity - Procedural real-time galaxy modelâ video:
I think next time we need more stars - or at least brighter onesâŚ
I donât think the comparison is valid.
I believe I-Novae are going for Milky Way numbers of stars, ie about 300 billion (3x1011). The Andromeda galaxy has over 3 times more at 1 trillion (1012) stars.
In addition, that photo will include many stars in the Milky Way between us and Andromeda (obviously including the big brighter ones).
Also, the model does not include dust which I think does a lot of reflecting and refracting and I imagine has a significant affect on the observed brightness of the image.
Finally, if your perspective was more like the Infinity video (ie inside the Andromeda galaxy looking outwards), I expect your view would be far more similar.
Iâm sure @Kichae will correct me if I am wrong and will be able to educate beyond my assumptions.
Of course itâs not valid. The infinty video says that directly at the beginning - âNo fancy rendering effects - only colored dotsâ
But as I said in the opening sentence: I couldnât resist to compare them because maybe one day thatâs how it might look like ingame 
I think you missed my point⌠Even if the 2nd video was re-made in the future using a 100% realistic I-Novae engine, it wouldnât look like the 1st video because the two perspectives are so different.
We can agree that we would both love to see the I-Novae engine as realistic as possible.
Dawn probe is getting close to Ceres, itâs some 400k km away.
![]()
There arenât any fancy rendering effects in the Andromeda image, either. With the exception of the dust lanes, everything in that image is a coloured dot.
Catch that clip on The Daily Show with a woman and a man calling The Moon âplanet Moonâ and thinking it may be a star?
