Weekly Update #38

Maybe shooting a target already engaged in a large scale battle with many targets that are much closer. That’ll probably be the battlescape version of sniping I guess, except it’s counterable if you can shoot em down!

1 Like

I have to admit I dont like irregular spaceship designs, but the interceptor looks great! Really great!
Especially the back looks damn cool! Gratz! I hope the color scheme wont change that much anymore, that darkgrey/brown looks goods.

2 Likes

I really don’t think the cockpit needs changing - it’s the overall shape that needs rework. It does feel close but the flat top/bottom and bulky shape just doesn’t do it for me - at least for an interceptor.

2 Likes

This guy made a good video about essential cockpit view using SC examples of bad cockpits.

The horizontal bar in the interceptor would be in the acceptable range using his tool, but it would be even better if it was adjusted slightly without compromising the overall shape language of the external hull.

5 Likes

It’s easy to simply rework a picture to demonstrate an improved view but this also can change the outside structure markedly. But it is a very useful video when building from scratch.

That’s the challenge of getting the design right. It’s always a balance of form and function.

They can keep the same shape language and still change the strut positions. It’s just a matter of moving the struts along the same plane as the existing “glass” to achieve the desired clearance around the pilot’s central view.

Edit: Forgive the terrible photoshop, but even things like a bent strut would help

Uploading…

1 Like

I like how he mentioned how balancing a game using control inputs was a bad idea in there.

1 Like

The external appearance can be nothing more than a visual, leaving the physical view largely unobstructed. Wrap advertising does this on vehicles today.

Instead of wrap advertising, go with a programmable canopy. The entire thing is a rasterized surface that can be shaded to any opacity and any pattern that you want. Or any of the presets that the designers work in. Whatever.

If you’re in combat, you may want an unobstructed view. If you’re approaching a star, you may want heavy shading everywhere. If you’re approaching a space station, you want your cool look.

The shading could even be made a physical change to the canopy, lending extra strength, radiation hardening, or some other such thing to the canopy area.

Mostly, the moral of the story is that the canopy is not a ship design element so much as a player usability issue. So make allowances.

I did some image overlaying and brought this “Tool” he uses in the video posted by @selbie to I:B.

This allows us to compare the different cockpits and maybe is an indicator to why so many people complain about this.

On the SC community hub @alluran suggested a better way to allocate points, I’m going to use that one:

Center - 136 points
Ring 1 - 4 points/segment (96 total)
Ring 2 - 3 points / segment (72 total)
Ring 3 - 1 point / segment (48 total)
Ring 4 - 1 point / segment (48 total)
That would give a total out of 400

###Interceptor

400 Points - 136 [Center] - 4 * 4 [R1] - 8 * 3 [R2] - 10 * 1 [R3] - 20 * 1 [R4] =

194 Points

###Bomber

400 Points - 6 * 1 [R3] - 20 * 1 [R4] =

376 Points

###Corvette

400 Points - 5 * 4 [R1] - 10 * 3 [R2] - 11 * 2 [R3] - 22 * 1 [R4] =

306 Points

In the above video, Radiant Flux tried to make a point that if you have view blocking elements in the center you will receive complaints. Having the outer rings relatively clean helps decrease complaints above that.
We can see that the Interceptor clearly fails this test.

@cybercritic asked for some Elite:Dangerous Comparisons, you can find them below:

###Eagle
(Interceptor like)

400 Points - 4 * 4 [R1] - 12 * 3 [R2] - 12 * 1 [R3] - 20 * 1 [R4] =

316 Points

Weird FOV Version

400 Points - 136 [Center] - 12 * 4 [R1] - 10 * 3 [R2] - 10 * 1 [R3] - 20 * 1 [R4] =

156 Points

###Cobra
(Two Seater)

400 Points - 4 * 4 [R1] - 8 * 3 [R2] - 14 * 1 [R3] - 32 * 1 [R4] =

314 Points

And some Star Citizen:

###SC1

400 Points - 136 [Center] - 8 * 4 [R1] - 12 * 3 [R2] - 18 * 1 [R3] - 28 * 1 [R4] =

150 Points

###SC2

400 Points - 6 * 4 [R1] - 6 * 3 [R2] - 8 * 1 [R3] - 16 * 1 [R4] =

334 Points

###SC3

400 Points - 4 * 4 [R1] - 6 * 3 [R2] - 6 * 1 [R3] - 12 * 1 [R4] =

348 Points

7 Likes

Don’t usually like to quote stuff from Discord, but it’s basically official that the next patch will have a fix to the interceptor horizontal bar, thanks @inovaejan.

Also being an ED fanboy, that Eagle pic is something like 180 FOV, real score should be 292+.

3 Likes