Not at all. Letting the audience question it and find the right answer for themselves is better than shoving information down their throats. That’s the tact that they took and it worked well I thought.
I watched the first season first and just recently bought and finished the book. I was surprised by how closely some of the dialogue followed, but at the same noticed a slightly different portrayal of relationships between characters. I got a totally different vibe from a few of em. Great series and I love the hard science in it.
I’m also looking forward to saving up all the new National Geographic Channels Mars episodes. Ron Howard and Elon Musk are involved. A more closer look at the real relatity of post first mission to Mars and the establishment of a small colony outpost.
…and i have ignored it for so long…what a waste of time.
I just tried the series and swallowed first season in one go
Immediately had to read the book only to find out it’s written by duo of authors influenced by my fav. author…(who no longer writes scifi )
To put it simply it reminds me of sliced bread … but bit better.
Yeah and what a surprise to get into middle of the book and find the end of season one of series there.
I am currently reading second book.
Series is getting pretty popular i had really hard time to find store that has the books in stock…but it might be due to christmass.
…is it just me or do you see it too ? …how fitting the battlescape is next to expanse universe?
This was exactly how I watched it. 2 weeks before finals and I binge watched that sucker on a saturday because it was far more important than anything else after the first episode.
Such a pleasant surprise that was!
Ironically I just bought books 2 and 3 about a week ago and finished book 2 the day before yesterday. Oh MAN I am loving this series. I read the first few chapters of 3 last night and I’m about to dive into it to finish it today or tomorrow. It’s about to go down in the book.
I’ve noticed that sci-fi as a genre has had a resurgence in the last couple years which I’m happy about because I’m a fan. Regardless of how you feel about the martian, interstellar, arrival, passengers, or god forbid the sorry excuse gravity was, it’s nice to see big name productions getting people to think about science and space in the context of every day life.
I need to order the next couple of books. I’m 90% positive I had a dream earlier this week that was expanse related. We were looking for something in a debris field on a spacecraft and it just had that feel to it. When I dream about stories I know that they were well written
[details=Spoilers !!!]I really liked the alien side of things… where what is alien really feels alien.
It really is fresh to see something different then just humanoids we are used to.
The main story / mystery is really captivating. Btw did anyone of you played Tarr Chronicles? you would know why i ask.
…but i get the feeling that main characters did get somewhat sidelined, or i was not really fond of the colonists/scientists … i guess it would get samey or perhaps even boring. So i understand the reason. Except the one which is always awesome and i have a bad feeling he is gone for good.
Anyone read the fifth ?[/details]
I’m not reading your post in case its got current season spoilers I like to save up all the episodes in best quality and watch them all back to back in one session.
I am looking forward to watching season 2 as soon as it finishes.
lol. Lasers to ignite charges I think is something the military has actually been working on for a cleaner burn than traditional caps for artillery and tank shells.
Anyway, I can’t find myself enjoying The Expanse much, and I don’t get the hype - hype which has led to it being too valuable for Netflix or Amazon to pick up, it seems. So I quit watching like 5 episodes in.
I liked Dark Matter a ton, and it was also easy to watch. The set design sucked, and the acting for the “hacker gril” was awful. But the directing, cinematography, and writing all seemed pretty top notch to me.
And The Expanse has something that will never not both the fuck out of me: Transparent smartphone screens.
How the fuck are you supposed to read white text on glass when there is white tile or walls behind it? Or black text on it in the dark? It’s the stupidest fucking thing. It doesn’t look cool, it looks moronic and panders to idiots that can’t use their brain at all who thinks it looks cool.
You should read the books since that’s an aesthetic choice the show took. The books deserve the hype because it’s fantastic writing. The show has taken a few liberties with certain parts.
I watched Dark matter and it was nice for a time, but after the mystery is over it got to a point it was just too predicable. Still it was a nice relaxing watch. And that perhaps was more to your liking.
You might have intellectual work and want something more relaxed in your free time.
I found Expanse books to have more attention to detail and this slow burning feel to it. You will learn everything in time. Just need patience. And they are not afraid for story purposes to just use “bad” scenario if it brings some emotions in reader. (They just found that little something, that made G.R.R. Martin scifi so special)
Don’t discount the tv series yet. The books are hopelessly sold out in my small country and that always indicates growing popularity. This didnt happen even with Witcher series.
I got the feeling that this will become big indeed.