Science Discussion

Wait… How’s That even science ? Pure after-effects with plenty of animations… This ain’t augmented reality yet !

1 Like

Yes, I already knew about “Magic Leap”, thank you for the video.

What I meant was: the “robot shooting” game is all about special effects. It is not a demo and most certainly farther from reality that their current prototype is (at least for all we know, since they’re not showing anything).

I’ll trust this company when they’ll throw out prototypes, not intentions. For now, “Occulus Rift” is more real and impressive IMO.

I was being lazy. sorry.

http://www.popsci.com/boeing-just-patented-force-field-lasers

Star Wars here we come. :wink:

1 Like

I got one better! Sorta… Just read it yesterday! First thing I thought of was possible applications for reducing reentry heat felt by spacecraft. Then I read that to have any effect one would need 7 Tesla magnetic fields! Yikes!!

If you put the two together then you’ve really got a nice little shield…

2 Likes

Not only 7 Tesla, but the decrease of heat transfer rate was only of 12% for a material almost at 0K. I’m not sure (couldn’t find it in the article) if the percentage would remain the same for higher temperature …

2 Likes

Now. Increasing heat transfer rate would be interesting too …

And yep … seven Tesla is a lot …

3 Likes

Lazes are used to cool adams (spelling) to try to get to 0, K ( zero degrees kelvin that is) to lazy to look it up. :frowning:

I assumed that the near 0K was a requirement for superconductors to create a large enough magnetic field, and not something that was inherent to the experiment itself. You bring a good point though, I wonder if it would have the same effects at normal* temperatures

*normal being something experienced somewhat often in nature…

I hate to be picky, but Kelvin has no degrees, only Celsius and Fahrenheit do… It’s just “0 Kelvin” or what have you

Copyed from Skyentist Ya it’s not working :frowning:
" I hate to be picky, but Kelvin has no degrees, only Celsius and Fahrenheit do… It’s just “0 Kelvin” or what have you"
/lookes it up…

Kelvin is a temperature scale designed so that zero degrees K is defined as absolute zero (at absolute zero, a hypothetical temperature, all molecular movement stops - all actual temperatures are above absolute zero)

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/chemistry/glossary/Kelvin.shtml

Something I often find, Both of us are wrong. 0 K and it’s equivalent in C and F are not degrees. The more you know.
Or this sight is just BS.

just a look at what color is this dress…explanations.
A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskAQwOBvhc
B: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-31656935

Two explanations. A friend was coming through youtube and found more. Real answer is that don’t know.

These incredible images are the best yet of our near-neighbor dwarf planet Ceres

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-images-of-dwarf-planet-ceres-2015-4?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+(Business+Insider)

1 Like

First warm-blooded fish ‘under our noses’!
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/opinions/warm-blooded-fish/

2 Likes

Tesla unveils batteries to power homes
Well not to produce power but store it.

3 Likes

Pluto’s Moons Are ‘Tumbling In Absolute Chaos,’ NASA Says
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/04/411946929/plutos-moons-are-tumbling-in-absolute-chaos-nasa-says

1 Like

And now something about The Moon: The moon may have dusty ‘clouds’

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/06/17/the-moon-may-have-dusty-clouds/

Vortex in Lake Texoma ‘could swallow small boat’. More fun then science.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33282343

1 Like

The ongoing conjunction between Venus and Jupiter reached minimum separation tonight, with the two planets separated by less than the width of the full Moon this evening. While out for a walk I managed to snap a few pictures with my cellphone. This is the best of the lot.

Venus, the brighter of the two, is on the bottom. The picture was taken from the wooded park behind my apartment.

5 Likes

I got one too, wonderful stuff.

4 Likes