Science Discussion

I saw this.

If the findings are verified this galaxy could be a reaaaaaaaaaaally good tool to help us understand the effects of dark matter on the standard galaxy and how dark matter coalesces(by studying how it didn’t in this case).

It’s a really fascinating find and I hope it turns out to be true. Exceptions/minimums/maximums to the rule are often really good to use as test cases for your theories and to help build a greater understanding.

3 Likes

And to follow up that great post above with something of even GREATER human importance…

Scientists explain knuckle cracking -BBC Science

2 Likes

My pet theory for dark mater is higgs boson -zes floting around without being attached to real matter :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooo. Pet theories. Well, is there a correlation between galaxy rotation and dark matter? If so, is the relationship causal? Does a rotating galaxy introduce some effect that causes matter to not escape when it otherwise would? If such an effect exists, then it might have an even greater binding effect at larger scales.

I love pet theories. I don’t have to do any real work.

Dozen black holes found at galactic centre

Not so much found but… “A new analysis provides support for a decades-old prediction that “supermassive” black holes at the centres of galaxies are surrounded by many smaller ones.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43648152

1 Like

Alien Life in Our Solar System? Offworld episode 5: Europa Report (2013) - tested . com

More than half your body is not human
OH NO!!!
But that could explain much.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43674270

1 Like

Planet-hunter launches from Florida

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43790557

1 Like

Turning carbon dioxide into rock - forever - bbc

1 Like

Methane ice dunes found on Pluto by Nasa spacecraft
And some other stuff. :slight_smile:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44317367

2 Likes

Anti-Tank Round vs Asteroid - For Science! - Hayabusa 2 - Scott Manley discusses

1 Like

I love that video so much because it’s our first foray into orbital bombardment. When I first saw it I could not stop watching it and laughing at how ridiculous it is that we’re doing that for science™. Aside from the Falcon 9 landings it’s been my go to for “Look at what crazy stuff we’re doing in space right now.” How fun it would be on the testing team for that “experiment.”

1 Like

http://www.spacedaily.com/m/reports/Proof_of_dark_matter_in_dwarf_galaxies_is_refuted_999.html

1 Like

Source of cosmic ‘ghost’ particle revealed

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44786125

I thought it was Pumpkin Jack. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

lol , just short humour post moment . check the comment section ,


“spoiler alert !”
my fav comment was the about the “british scientits” by captainzap
anyway thank to imgur and other facebook , reedit social media ,

we can shitpost for fun.

1 Like

ha ha


anyway just trolling and joking .
please , back in more “serious” science discussion.

1 Like

I keep coming back to this series of videos by Reid Gower - done to Carl Sagans spoken audio.

THE SAGAN SERIES - The Pale Blue Dot (HD)

Check out the rest in the series here: http://saganseries.com/

4 Likes

I also recommend the book itself.

I stumbled upon Pale Blue Dot my freshman year in Uni and it was the inspiration for me to study physics. Whether you’re just interested for fun or not it’s a great read through and through and helps put life into perspective.

3 Likes

Parker Solar Probe: How Nasa is trying to ‘touch’ the Sun

It’s sending a satellite called the Parker Solar Probe into the Sun’s outer atmosphere, or corona.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-45113552/parker-solar-probe-how-nasa-is-trying-to-touch-the-sun

2 Likes

Arctic’s strongest sea ice breaks up for first time on record
It does go back only to the 1970… I’ed like to know what the indigenous people have to say.

The Northsmen can (seemingly) talk about the last ice age.

1 Like