Science Discussion

Gifs of Mars climate as seen from orbit:

(The movement of the higher altitude puffy clouds are from the orbital motion parallax here)

6 Likes

Just wanted to add “from the satellite” here because it wasnt immediately apparent to me.

Pretty cool stuff I’ve never seen Martian Weather before though I’ve definitely heard it talked about.

1 Like

Found !

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/11/proposed-theory-of-emergent-gravity-to.html

On Phys.org
http://phys.org/news/2016-11-theory-gravity-dark.html

And ArXiv

1 Like

You were correct in the first placement kamui. :slight_smile:

Maybe not so probabilistic after all…

(Emphasis on the maybe, mind you)

3 Likes

Fascinating. I always had a soft spot for the pilot wave theory (though I didn’t understand much of it :slight_smile:), I am glad it makes a come-back!

1 Like

This is an absolutely amazing observation: measuring the polarization of visible light from an isolated neutron star at 400 light years.

1 Like

90min long. UK Iplayer.

1 Like

Boeing unveils concept designs for its Mars Transporter and Deep Space Habitat that will launch in the 2020s

1 Like

Any excuse to start using the word cislunar in conversation is good enough for me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Interesting news! Upgrading the infrastructure across the solar system is definitely important but I hope it doesn’t get too much in the way of actual voyages!

I would love to see people land on Mars in my lifetime, one way or another.

Well the faster it gets up the better because it would provide a good safety line in case anything went wrong on missions to Mars.

1 Like

How?

Elon has said Lunar orbit or the Earth-Moon L1 are of no practical use when going to or returning from Mars.

A station at the L1 would probably be useful for research purposes, but that’s it really.

My own research suggests low ∆v interplanetary transfers can be achieved by making use of various planet-sun Lagrangian​ points but the transfer time is hugely increased.

1 Like

Not directly between Earth and Mars I understand that. My line of thought was that if you have some form of rescue craft stationed at the lunar orbital station, you would at least reduce the energy required to launch a rescue mission (ie. no stage 1 to orbit).

I believe that for most of the lunar orbit (27 days) less energy would be required if the craft was in Earth orbit than lunar orbit.
Plus being close to Earth is convenient.

I would think fixing things might make it worth it.
/list a bunch of things that could be fixed easily in space as opposed to just letting them burn up

Atmosphere found around Earth-like planet GJ 1132b

1 Like

The recent Stargazing Live show in Australia led to 90 new planets being discovered.

4 Likes

The race to destroy space garbage

Just encase there is someone who hasn’t seen the video before.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39521406

2 Likes

Its Dust Jim, But Not As You Know It

RF pulses from dust collisions could be killing satellites - theregister.co.uk

Tiny impacts don’t smash sats, but the energy they produce might break electronics

1 Like