do any of you listen to astrophysics/science podcasts? i listen to startalk often and i have been looking into the infinite monkey cage. any recommendations would be appreciated.
This video is about the mainstream explanation for a pulsar (call it the Lighthouse explanation) versus an alternative explanation for the phenomenon (call it the Stroboscope explanation). The video comes from ‘electric universe’ proponents, who claim electricity, rather than gravity, is the main force that is at work in space. I was wondering what you guys think of this radically different theory.
same thing i wondered since i was a little kid, it’s wonderful to find out that there are many others that think the same thing (tho i think it’s a mixture of both things, EMF and Gravity, where in the end they are inside the same thing, just got no idea how to explain that, i just think it’s like that), i’ll give it a look
No. No you’re not. We may as well discuss the US election, or religion, or Mac vs Windows.
Well, I truly am wondering that. Discussing how both electricity and gravity could result in observed phenomena - in a ‘science discussion’ thread - is not quite the same as discussing politics, religion or brand preferences.
You understand why religion and politics are verboten topics of discussion, right?
Would you be keen on seeing a discussion on global climate change here? Because electric universe is the global climate change of cosmology.
The subject is besides the point, a lot of people believe in a lot of different things, it doesn’t mean they are ignorant idiots and there are better ways to approach the discussion on their beliefs.
No, the subject is exactly the point. We don’t want to discuss this subject here. That’s exactly, and fully, what I’m saying. I’ve said nothing about people being ignorant, nor idiots.
Back down.
What is beeing discussed is up to the debaters. Not a single person.
If you want to curb further discussion about this theory please deliver sound arguements, shouldn’t be hard for you.
Also I don’t believe in man made climate change. 
Go for it @Kichae, just don’t forget to mention fairy unicorns, magic dragons and such other things while referring to a subject someone holds dear…
I haven’t broken anyone’s fingers, nor cut out anyone’s tongue. But I think it’s a bad topic of discussion, and I’ve said so.
Can I just point out to everyone that I’m not starting this…
So it is a very polemic subject, and not in a good way, in the field of astronomy.
No harm done, and I think that’s fair enough as of what to learn about it here.
Now, I can point you toward, this guy who is
- an astrophysicist
- running a blog about astronomy, science, philosophy of science, agnotology and varied stuff, among which:
- having a series of articles literally called Ask An Astronomer Anything At All About Astronomy
If anyone can give you a level, detailed answer about the “Electric Universe” theory, it should be him.
Now we should put this particular point to rest, everyone 
Rhys also posts some really fun animations of his galactic collision simulations, if anyone’s into that sort of thing.
I try to post science articles were what they are discussing is accepted, by the majority of scientist. Human caused global warming is accepted by the majority of scientist. (97% last I herd) So go prove them wrong then I will believe the other side. I’m well aware scientist can change what they think through evidence. I won’t follow the underdog until the underdog is no longer the underdog.
How many people here have changed accepted science?
I want truth not ego. Facts not propaganda.
This is an interesting video Scott Manley just made. How long is a year?
a postulating question while watching interstellar, seeing the spinning space station scene:
if i spun something really, really fast, like the circular space station in interstellar, i would undergo artificial gravity. yet in the instance i am spinning at a high velocity, would i also be experiencing time dilation?
i am under the impression that time dilation is only a thing because gravity is a “dent” in spacetime. does the rotation of the space station also create this “dent”?
Time is also altered by velocity, although mass is gained, which may be related. Essentially, if you were able to withstand the immense g-forces such a fast rotation would be generating, yes.