Science Discussion

Um, if you don’t know were they ended up how are you sure they are still there?

1 Like

We do know today that mitochondria were some kind of batcerias before. It is now a fully integrated symbiotic organelle in the eucaryot cells.

Scientifics are also discovering more and more facts about our guts. First is the intestinal flora as stated in the article, for which we still don’t know much. Second there are many more neurons inside our guts than thought, to the point it’s called “the second brain”.

However there’s nothing to worry much about. While the genetics and bacterias are important, the environment is even more important, especially in the early years of our life.

Fixed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10char

1 Like

The Newcomers to the Periodic Table really http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/01/elementary-my-dear-watson/422505/

NASA Says A Black Hole Is Burping. Not much but interesting. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/122306/20160106/nasa-black-hole-burping.htm

1 Like

I’m surprised bentware hasn’t best me to the punch here, but there have been rumors(and only rumors) that we’ve detected the first gravitational wave at ligo.

As it stands today we have 2 facilities, one in Washington and another in Louisiana. A third is being built where upon completion if a wavebis detected, they will be able to triangulate the waves origin. With the 2 facilities as is, they can only narrow the origin down to a single plane.

They’re pretty cool facilities and I had the opportunity to hear a few of the lead guys at the Washington site talk about their work and, at the time, the upgrades they were performing. It sounded like they were close and if this rumor is true they were. Its just a matter of noise reduction.

I’d like to get more in detail but mobile sucks. Its cool stuff though, understanding gravity waves can help us understand the fabric of spacetime.

1 Like

My money is on the regular detection of superluminally propogating waves. I wonder what that will do to relativity.

I’d love to take you up on that if I could :wink:

Online gambling :wink:, always a good decision.

But I suppose a gentlemen’s bet would do.

1,000 internet space bucks? or whatever the currency of battlescape is!

Colossal star explosion detected

7:40 audio.

It’s not just audio. It had no hydrogen or helium. Read why.

It is foggy on Mars.

This next image shows the planet’s Valles Marineris canyon system - which is about as wide as Australia, and at almost 4,000km long, is the largest in the Solar System.
Image copyright Michael Benson

A fog hugs the canyon floor, which is more than 6.5km deep in places - more than three times deeper than the Grand Canyon in the United States.

I’m assuming it isn’t water fog. Correct me if i’m wrong.

1 Like

That’s really interesting bentware, thanks for posting! I’m curious about that most too, @Kichae, do you have any speculation or knowhow to what the mist could be? I was under the impression that Mar’s atmosphere was too thin to hold gaseous vapour in visible quantity besides the occasional CO2 molecules.

Is it because it’s so low in altitude? Also how do we measure sea level, if any, on Mars? Did we pick an arbitrary altitude that is 0 or just measure from the lowest point?

Apparently it’s microscopic crystals of water ice, seen in images as early as Viking 1.

1 Like

Ok thanks that’s cool to know!!

I wonder if anyone will call their element unobtanium just for shits n giggles.

1 Like

They could, but they’d have to change the name to stealabilium after the heist of the century (especially considering the half-lives)

Now that’s a surprise - we may have nine main/lone/normal-not-like-those-dwarf-planets-out-there-hey-get-out-of-my-orbit-you-little-meddlers planets after all.


http://www.nature.com/news/evidence-grows-for-giant-planet-on-fringes-of-solar-system-1.19182

Now that Nemesis, Tyche and Vulcab have been blown as names, what should we pick? (Note how this time they are more prudent about reckless name-blowing).

2 Likes

Personally, I’d call it Hades, Hel, or Osiris.

Hades is already represented as Pluto. Hel and Osiris break with the tradition of naming planets after Greek/Roman deities (which I’m fine with, but I don’t know how well that would fly in general).

Personally, I’m backing Tartarus.

2 Likes