Rocketry General Thread

Once you have seen the red eyes, you can not unsee them.

33 Likes

It is interesting, and I’d love to see some simulations of it. With larger and larger payloads, it’s conceivable that large payloads of gasses could be released.

For very small objects, the effect would be much stronger.

6 Likes

Nailed it

5 Likes

Welp, we have a 3 block-5 recovery and a fairing recovery.

Definitely counts for most recovered and systems to be reused from a rocket launch.

Two fairings and 3 cores, five recovered items. Each side probably costs them like 30 million, center probably 35-40, fairings are 6 mil together iirc.

Basically, they just recovered 100 million dollars worth of hardware this flight, plus or minus 10, maybe 15 mil.

It surely it won’t cost them 90 million to launch when just reusing boosters. If you’re spending 5 mil to recover/refuel each stage, and the interstage costs you like 15 mil, you’re talking more like 30 million for a FH launch. The reported payload on the site is the expendable payload. If expendable is 50% greater (only direct comparison I could find for Falcon 9), then the 63,800 kg payload to LEO becomes 42000 kg, which gives you 324 bucks per pound.

Absurd that we’re already here. It’s 2019. At the beginning of this decade we were launching at 10,000 per pound on the space shuttle. We’re launching things to space at 1/30th the cost.

Starship will completely change everything.

7 Likes

Next mission for FH will include the Lightsail solar sail craft as part of a fleet of 25 satellites :grin:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theplanetarysociety/lightsail-a-revolutionary-solar-sailing-spacecraft/posts/2477959 Earliest flight targeted for May31

2 Likes

I get a blank page. :frowning:

Still just the title is worth a “like”

5 Likes

Scott Manley tells us about - Deep Space Updates - Hopper Hops, Heavy Tests, Hacking The Aurora & ASAT Debris Tracked

And… How Israel’s Lander Crashed Into The Moon, And How Falcon Heavy Flew

4 Likes

The KS link probably wasn’t working, I found the Planetary Society’s page for that ^

3 Likes

Very happy to see the Planetary Society using it’s funds to make science happen, :slight_smile:
Long ago when I was a member they used there funds to get the American government to vote for space money, not use there own. (Planetary Society uses it’s member’s money to land a rover on Mares, sells rights to fund other space missions!!! In my dreams. :/)

20 Likes

Clean audio version without the silly screaming :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

SpaceX capsule suffers ‘anomaly’ during tests in Florida - bbc

5 Likes

Kinda sucks. I would say “I hope it doesn’t slip the schedule,” but I honestly hope they take their time.

5 Likes

They’re pretty fucked. This was a disastrous failure because judging by the leaked video that I’ve seen it happened during pre-test checks at T-8ish. The engines weren’t even firing at the time. Honestly it’s a huge issue. Imagine whatever they just did happened while DM-1 was docked with the ISS for a week. It could have blown up the entire station and that’s the rhetoric we should expect to hear in the near future from NASA. It is a huge safety issue now and whether or not they fix it they will have that smudge on their record for dragon-2 now.

This will probably setback their crew program by at least 6 months to a year. Their internal investigation will probably last 1-3 months and add some extra time to retrofit and make the fixes to existing and future capsules. The nightmare of NASA oversight will at the least double whatever it would take them normally.

Definitely evens up the race with Boeing at least.

8 Likes

Thats space flight though, sometimes big steps forward are accompanied by big steps back. As long as the push forward is always stronger than the will to keep the status-quo the goals will be achieved. Although I do hope in my lifetime to see proper Moon bases. And the first few manned missions to Mars.

Scott Manley tells us more about - SpaceX’s Crew Dragon Capsule Destroyed In Engine Test

5 Likes

Something I’ve been putting together at my lab while looking at the impact of future constellations on the orbital environment.

This is essentially the spatial density at a given altitude in 5km shells from the beginning of the space age to now.

This is an older version but essentially gets the point across on how some of the future constellations can impact the density of these orbits.

Interesting things to note are the jumps around 2008 and 2009 that correspond to increased debris from the iridium-kosmos collision and the chineses asat test

Moving forward I’m planning to create a time varying density that shows when spacecraft in an equally spaced constellation are close based on a sort of spherical heatmap but I’m not quite there yet. It’s interesting stuff to look forward and see how crowded our orbits are going to get based on the addition of thousands of satellites across multiple constellations.

29 Likes

Scott Manley asks - Does ARCAspace’s Water & Electric Powered Rocket Make Sense?

1 Like

Fly me to the Moon Jeff

Jeff Bezos unveils Moon lander concept - bbc

7 Likes

Scott Manley tells us about - Blue Origin’s Blue Moon, in Blue Lights Showing Big Blue Spherical Fuel Tanks

and…SpaceX,Starlink, Dragon, Hopper & More - Deep Space Updates - May 11th

7 Likes

So glad this is going ahead soon

6 Likes

Scott Manley ask the question - Apollo 10’s Lunar Module Snoopy Is Lost In Space - Could We Bring it Home?

2 Likes