Rocketry General Thread

Heyoo this is your 1 day/25ish hour warning of a launch. SpaceX is launching bulgaria Sat 1 tomorrow at 4:10 Eastern, 1:10 pacific, 18:10 UTC.

Yes this will feature a landing attempt on the drone ship OSCILY(Of Course I Still Love You).

Yes this is the second launch of a reused stage that has already flown and launched a satellite before. Very exciting stuff! This core was first launched at the beginning of this year launching satellites for Iridium from Vandenburg AFB. It performed a flawless landing off the coast of California and was towed into Long Beach harbour where they brought it in under the cover of darkness. Next time(next month) if the stage is being towed in during the day I will run out there in a skiff to get you guys some pictures.

You can find the stream on SpaceX’s page on youtube and their countdown is to the actual launch at T-0, and should start around 20 minutes prior to that time.

2 Likes

You jinxed it, launch delayed some days for valve replacement.

Tragic…It was fine when I posted I promise :frowning:

I KNEW it. They work on Valve time :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Next attempt 6/ 2 3

Half Life 3 confirmed?

1 Like

6/2=3 we’re through the looking glass here, people :alien:

2 Likes

or are they?

1 Like

Hey everyone! So we just missed the launch from Vandenberg about 30 minutes ago and I did not mention it…however I have 1 shitty phone picture to show for it!

My buddy brought his nice camera and got pretty sweet video from liftoff to stage separation with a bit of blurry parts but I’ll share that later.

4 Likes

SpaceX in launch and landing double bill - BBC News

SpaceX nails two launches and barge landings in one weekend - theregister.co.uk

1 Like

Uh ignore the rocketlike wind and half the video being out of focus…We were pretty happy how it turned out despite the in and out of focus due to autofocus. It was pretty cool to see stage separation!

For whatever reason he couldn’t upload in 1080p and if he manages to let youtube let him I’ll link that later.

It will probably be 3 days or so until the core gets back and I’m hoping to get out on the water and get pictures/video of it coming back in as well

2 Likes

The Livestream just started for Intelsat 35E (take 2).

SpaceX halts Intelsat 35e launch twice in a row

1 Like

Postponed until tomorrow (5th) or Thursday.

Out of an abundance of caution, SpaceX will be spending the 4th of July doing a full review of the rocket and launch pad systems. The next launch opportunity for Intelsat 35e from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida is now no earlier than Wednesday, July 5 or Thursday, July 6.

1 Like

Launch is today at 7:37 EAT again. Apparently it was scrubbed due to the GNC computers finding a fault. As far as I know the exact issue hasn’t become public yet.

I’ll be in bed (the joys of earning money), but I’ll be there in spirit. Go SpaceX! I was kind of surprised though that this is another expendable one, I thought they didn’t want to expend any anymore and here we are… I guess the Falcon Heavy delays are biting into their manifest planing.

1 Like

Launch went fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Funny you mention FH. This payload was originally set to be launched on a FH. Due to all the upgrades of f9 it’s capabilities increased to the point where they could launch it on a f9 expendably. Because it’s heavy enough to be a FH payload is exactly why f9 was expendable. When FH starts launching I have a feeling all payloads that can’t also include an f9 landing will be moved to FH so they can land all 3 cores.

That’s my suspicion as well. Even if they could launch a payload on F9 in expendable mode, it would be cheaper in the long run to use a FH with full reusability.

Anyone know if FH can be partially fuelled based on launch requirements?

An interesting thought, but the only reason I can imagine for doing so would be to reduce the mass coming back on landing. It would be like an airliner aborting to return to its departing point. They dump fuel to reduce weight and make the landing safe.

It might just be simpler to manage the logistics of waiting for enough launch customers who can share the same launch configuration. That way, you’re always launching with a full tank and not going through all that work to set up a launch for an incomplete manifest. The fuel is apparently not the critical factor.

And speaking of full tanks, here’s a couple videos showing the inside of a rocket fuel tank as it delivers its fuel. I always wondered what went on in there and now I know.

Falcon 9 second stage LOX tank. No narration. The strange movement at the end is when the engine stops and the stage is at 0g. Although the video doesn’t show it, the fuel eventually just breaks up into blobs that float around in the tank.

Saturn 1 (not 1B) kerosene tank. Narration.

1 Like

Interestingly enough it’s actually better for falcon 9 to be heavier when landing. By decreasing the Thrust too weight ratio the computers have a longer time during the landing burn to get it right. The toughest landings are 3 engine burns with so little fuel because the landings are 3 times faster and 3 times less time to adjust for errors.

2 Likes