I was actually planning on seeing the launch today because i was already north ofnthe city on another trip so I’m bummed it got delayed. I’m debating driving up there next weekend again to try my luck, but I may just wait for the landed the stage to come back instead. I’m definitly going to head out on the water to get pictures of the barge before it reaches the harbour on its way in.
Been observing the Atlas family, and just wanted to drop a few photos of the notes of the designs.
It was interesting to see the original/initial rocket designs back in 1969. The original design took their 5 engine Atlas concept and tried to pitch a 5 engine Atlas-Centaur with Titan III level performance. Would have been interesting to see - that and Centaur plus Centaur Jr.
Can’t believe it’s not been mentioned but there’s a spacex launch tomorrow at approx 9:50 PST. Strongly considering driving up to check it out but grad school apps are due this weekend so I’m probably not gonna go. However I will definitely heading out on the water to check out the barge when it’s on its way in.
Keep doing it like this and the public will start to think this stuff is easy to do.
For those who missed it the primary and secondary missions were successful. All 10 SATs are in orbit and there’s currently a rocket being towed back to LA harbour. Hopefully it comes home during the day and in good weather.
Some really awesome shots in this launch. Was it infrared they used this time for the camera feed? The engine plume looked spectacular 
For those as interested in the landing of the first stage as I am, here’s a link to the point where the it starts maneuvering for reentry. First stage on the left, second stage on the right.
The video holds up quite well right through landing. It’s the best video yet of a landing for sure.
If you’re the impatient type, here’s a link to the same video a bit farther along:
Yes! I thought it was a really cool addition especially during second stage ignition when the expanded exhaust blasts over the first stage. It looked awesome. My friend made it up to the launch and he said it was spectacular so I’m bummed I missed out on this one. Next time!
I’m still trying to get a definitive ETA on the barge coming back…if the maps were up to date this morning it’s about 40 hours out which might make the return a bit early in the morning local time(2am ish) but I’ll be able to confirm tonight. We have an AIS subscription for our boat but the iPad with it is currently in Mex using it but it’s flying home tonight.
You can tell this is just the early stages of the Falcon programme. They haven’t even bothered to make a texture for the launch pad yet.
![]()
Quick update on my part. It looks like the support ship and tug have both turned off their transponders but one had an ETA of about 6 am tomorrow morning which matches with their speed and original distance. It’s gonna be cold and dark since the Sun doesn’t rise until about 630 these days but I think I’m going to go for it. at the least I’ll get photos of the barge tied up with the rocket on it, at best I’ll be able to get close as it approaches.
We hope you didn’t drown… 
EDIT: And while I’m here, here are the images going around on /r/spacex:
They ended up getting into port earlier than I expected( as I woke up) so I figured I’d just make the daylight trip today or tomorrow. I’ve got to work the rest of today so I’ll probably need to sneak it in tomorrow before it goes horizontal.
That’s some amazing photos up there!
I’m actually going to drop a few rocket photos myself. They’re not from me, but it’s an amazing gallery.
Didn’t make it:( by the time I could have gotten on the water it would be dark not too long after. I haven’t seen if the rocket has gone horizontal yet but they usually do it within 48 hours. There many more iridium launches in the future so this won’t be my only chance. Next time again!
That’s Epic.

The title on that made me wonder. If SpaceX really nails reusability will they be naming their rockets or just use boring hull numbers?
That’s an interesting thought. I would assume numbers. Names are usually reserved for things that are associated with people. For example, names were given to the Apollo command module and lunar lander, despite them being only single-use.
If they name anything, I’d expect them to name reusable Dragon capsules.
Metallic Hydrogen - Most Powerful Rocket Fuel Yet? - Scott Manley talks about
CRS-10 Technical Webcast - webacst start in 1h20min