Elon would approve, Scott Manley re-creates his vision in Kerbal.
WOW now programs can be recycled!!!
I wonder where this will lead
I was wondering if this would pop up here. Its a pretty clickbait title that isnât really indicative of what happened, go figure.
There isnât an implicit implication of sabotage, spacex is apparently checking all leads that stem from out of the ordinary. From what I understand that there was a visual anomaly of a white spot and a shadow coming from the roof of the building and they want to see what it was.
The probability of sabotage is so low, but they are still checking every corner apparently so they clearly still donât have a good idea of how the COPV breach happened. Thatâs what I get out of it.
It seems Elon has the area of effect bringing out the tinfoil in full force when it comes to the media. The entire article is riddled with discrepancies - legally and scientifically.
Legally, if SpaceX had any kind of suspicion of this being âfoul playâ, this would have been swarmed with FBI. The entire operation was expensive, high safety issue, and that it was an Israeli satellite (foreign relations?). Any suspicion of foul play you immediately call the police and have the police/FBI determine whether or not there was foul play. No one is dumb enough to contaminate a criminal scene/evidence by running their own investigation, THEN calling the FBI. They are requesting access to the roof for different reasons, possibly just examining what they saw from footage. Maybe they were retrieving debris. If it were foul play, FBI would have asked for roof access.
Itâs very likely that theyâve got a fault tree that has âsabotageâ as one of its branches. Chances are itâs another internal incident, as it were with faulty parts that resulted in an explosion as well. So I would take this all for a grain of salt; itâs sensationalism at itâs best, and since Elonâs Mars presentation the journalists have been having a field day with tinfoil articles and moronic 2007-level meme titling.
Thatâa a lot to assert given an internal investigation is standard practice in an industry where rockets blowing up isnât exactly new. Whatâs more they need experienced engineers to investigate what happened before calling the FBI - preferable than calling the FBI every time a rocket malfunctions.
I apologize, I didnât write it clearly. They donât call the FBI the moment an accident happens. They call when something in the data gets them even remotely suspicious that foul play is involved.
They would have called right at that moment because of how important evidence is for such a situation. If people have handled parts or data. It can be declared contaminated and ruled inadmissible in court.
I am only showing high skepticism because of that. The most likely explanation at this time is merely a defective helium bottle or the design of the bottle.
Blue Origin Delays Rocket âEscape Testâ to Wednesday Due to Bad Weather - space.com
Blue Origin has delayed the highly anticipated âin-flight escape testâ of its New Shepard suborbital spaceflight system by one day to Wednesday (Oct. 5), citing bad weather at its West Texas test site.
"Weather no-go for tomorrowâs New Shepard âŞWebcast now Wednesday 10:45 am ET [1425 GMT]
And itâs since happened, linked directly to the interesting but for your viewing pleasure:
Very good job! I was a bit unsure how the booster would fare, but it executed a perfect landing even though it lost its aerodynamic top, so to speak. ![]()
EDIT: Reading their blog post pre-test it sounds very much like they were expecting RUD (link). So good job on managing to keep the booster and bringing it back safely! It can now look forward to retiring, meaning itâll go to a museum. It now has 5 flights under its belt!
Very smooth
Amazing up close camera work these guys do. I wish spaceX would do the same. And with sounds as well. I like Blue Origins approach to the camera and sound all being a big part of the experience.
Maybe if we had more up-close cameras in SpaceX, weâd know why it exploded.
Killer Hurricane Matthew threatens to wreck Kennedy Space Center
Launch site shuts down as mega-storm looks set to hit it head on.
âKennedy Space Center is now in HurrCon 1 status, meaning a hurricane is imminent,â NASAâs Brian Dunbar said in an update on Thursday.
âHurricane preparations at Kennedy were completed early last night, and remaining employees were then sent home. A final check is being made this morning around the space center for any potential loose debris.â
The facility is now in the hands of a dedicated hurricane ride-out team, which will hunker down in the Emergency Operations Center â located in the Launch Control Center at Complex 39 â and monitor the situation as the winds increase in power. In all, 139 staff will remain in the Center until the danger has passed, but they wonât be allowed outside until wind speeds fall below 50 knots (approximately 58mph).
I am much more excited about the possibility of making a Big Freaking Hauler version of the ITS second stage and sending a few hundred tons to LEO for 100 million dollars or so. We could basically start sending a new space station up per launch, or a few hundred tourists. This would revolutionize space tourism in the short term, and would also make manned missions to a bunch of planets cheaper and accessible.
On the whole sustainable colony part, the truth is that mars is âjustâ a low pressure big desert with nothing special to do. It will be fun to see the footage of the explorers, but I donât really see enough there to justify a massive spontaneous migration. People keep comparing this to the migration to America, but in this case it is more like trying to make a similar scale migration to the middle of the Sahara desert. Madness I say.
Once you get to mars you are basically stuck in a bunch of structures built inside a desert. People would have as much incentive to buy a one way ticket to mars as they have today to buy one to live in Antarctica. And still there are very few people there, and that is even though they have freaking penguins. So⌠there is really no real driving force for people to pay so much to move to such a hostile environment(be it Antarctica or Mars).
Elonâs billions could surely start a small science colony on Mars, with a refueling station and maybe some tourists, but I doubt there will be that many people interested in the one way tickets he needs to create the sustainable colony. At least not for quite a few decades. I doubt it will happen as quick as the presentation implied(as in, this century), unless it gets a lot easier to get there(and stay there) quite quickly due to breakthroughs in science, which I canât quite predict when will happen.
I think you under estimate the appeal. Iâd love to go to mars permanently, and Iâm certain plenty others would as well.
Actually, if the moratorium on no industry in Antarctica (it is kept as a sanctuary for scientific research - and the worldâs biggest natural reserve) is not renewed, I suspect we will start seeing actual settlements in Antarctica. There are some pretty nice resources out there, and it is not that hostile. It will kill you in a few minutes if you are caught outside during a storm, you can be completely cut off from the world in a place so cold your freezer will be useful to keep things 30°C hotter and winter nights last for months, but in the end itâs just a bit cold. it is literally a shirt-sleeve environment (when weather is a warm near-freeze). Air isnât even unbreathable! And itâs barely a few weeks away from civilisation.
Even now, there are always a few hundred persons living in Antarctica, some places now look like small villages. For all intents and purposes, it is already colonized, albeit extremely sparsely.
(Note: I am for renewing the moratorium and keep Antarctica the worldâs biggest natural reserve.)
Alas, colonising Antarctica means little about the far, far harder task of colonising Mars. The only big problem with Antarctica is cold. On Mars, thatâs one of the lesser problems - and even it will be even worse.
Not saying it is impractical or will never be done, but citing Antarctica as a counter-example is simply mistaken.
Good points. And I for one would much prefer going to Mars, even on a one way ticket given the choice. And Iâm pretty sure some here would pay for the ticket. 
Just go to Mars. The lage (spelling) on B:I will be killer! I winn. 
Why? To do what? Are you really willing to let go of a ton of the comfort that is a given on Earth in order to go to live in a tube inside a desert for decades?
I see people saying this kind of thing, but I seriously doubt 1% of them really understand how hard and dangerous it would be. After a couple of years it would become really really boring, looking at the same desert every day, living inside the same small buildings, always worrying there is a leak or other dangerous thing happening, no good internet or food, etc. It is easy to sit at your computer and fantasize about âbeing on Mars!â, without actually understanding what that means.
You are kind of right, I forgot about that whole moratorium detail, but the fact that it is isolated and hard to live, resulting in people not wanting to move there, still applies.