I believe these are free-to-use quality environment maps with baked in HDR lighting, which should soon get replaced with in-engine shot environment maps.
They provide a good base for different lighting situations.
I believe these are free-to-use quality environment maps with baked in HDR lighting, which should soon get replaced with in-engine shot environment maps.
They provide a good base for different lighting situations.
They are testing to see if the background lighting/image affects the 3d model correctly. You can see this effect more easily on some pictures from older blog posts.
Heh, alright.
Remember that they are just concept art pieces. You probably won’t see these ingame in the current size and shape.
The first vid uses several tracks from the Dead Space 3 soundtrack. The second uses a track from the Splinter Cell: Double Agent soundtrack by Michael McCann. If you like it you should check out his other work. The music he did for Deus Ex HR was incredible.
I record the screen with camtasia studio. It uses the techsmith codec, a lossless codec built for screen captures. The speed up is more like 60x >_> The only thing I do differently when recording is I try to keep the canvas still and focus on a single area more. Normally I jump all over the place which you can see on older vids. When sped up its impossible to follow. I normally draw on a big (10000x10000) sized canvas which runs fine when drawing. When I start recording I can notice a drop in performance so I don’t do it often. When I do I force myself to use a more managable size canvas.
The editing is a pain in the ass. The max clip speed in camtasia is 999% so I have to speed up and export all the clips a few times. I takes a full evening editing and testing a complete vid.
We use freely available HDR cubemaps to test the textures. They are used for the ambient lighting stage. If it looks good/correct in one environment it will look correct in any light setup, provided it’s setup properly. We have a few very diffuse ones and some high frequency, more interesting environments. We mostly use the high frequency ones to test if the textures have the desired look.
While the Cent faction is visually very distinct the SFC and Deltans have been a bit tricky. We’re pushing the industrial/brutal look much more on the SFC stuff.
Here’s a “SFC” doodle. While it has an industrial feel it’s just not brutal enough. It’s a mix of SFC and Deltan styling.
![]()
This is a warmup sketch I did yesterday. It’s much more fitting.
![]()
You might think its hard to apply that kind of styling to large objects but…
![]()
Loving the looks of these new ships. Might even try my hand at modelling one or two of them, even if it’ll never end up in-game.
Wow, thanks a lot for the answers Jan. And that site. Loved the music on Deus ex hr. 
And the music on the second video is “Iceland Extraction Theme (part 2 & 3)”, in case you ever decide to add the credits on the video’s description to prevent any youtube copyright nonsense.
What’s with the ship being rendered in front of a hardwood floor?
They got one of the 3D printers, and well, the ship really works.
Why yes i know how to work all this stuff, why do you ask?
It’s an in-engine shot, actually. They’re testing how an environment map affects the lighting of a scene. It’s just they don’t have any space-y ones yet.
Hello all! If this has already been answered elsewhere, I’ll happily go check it out. I just came back to the new forums and was wondering if, with the new direction I-Novae is taking, it will still be possible to contribute assets like high-poly meshes following a new CDD?
If not, will there be any other way to contribute content of this type, like competitions or such?
There is a possibility of having a stretch goal in our crowd funding for MOD tools, if we reach this level of funding, then yes, you would be able to generate assets for player modified versions of the game. We do not plan on any contributions system for I:B, the art will be done/controlled in house for the initial game release.
Thanks for the quick reply! If it depends on the Kickstarter, then I’ll do my part!
(Not to say that I wouldn’t have contributed otherwise, haha!)
Awesome thanks! 
If the crowd funding goes really well, and the MOD tools are part of the plan, there is a possibility of having community contributions contests & whatnot, but we’re not going to commit to anything like that right now 
Awesome concepts. All of them. I’ve always liked your style. And now I really want to see the rest of that industrial ship with a cropped detail view 
I was going to link B5 for some cultural designs. Just to make it easy. Boxy/utilitarian. Fish like. Rectangleish. Plant like. Spider like. that easly goes too far. Rocket sort of. and the Flying Saucer.
The brakiri cruiser has a sighn on it saying “Bet you can’t miss me!” Don’t make one like that.
I liked the pill bug you were going with before.
Forgot Squid. As far as that goes see something cool make it a ship. My sister as the Death Star. Kinda done in Space Balls.
Moar time-lapses, please. 
Those concepts looked seriously cool, like others I myself have been missing the amazing concept art of what ships could turn out looking like. If I was to have one request through, it would be for you guys to recreate, remodel, or in some way embody the concept of the flamberge (see my avatar for reference :P) somewhere down the line (obviously i’m not expecting you guys to go out and make it, just my two cents), it’s pretty much my favorite design for a ship I’ve seen thus far, though this new stuff comes pretty close! keep up the good work and i’ll try and support you guys as much as the (somewhat limited) funds I have can provide.
I think a lot of us internally still like the Flamberge design, I would love to see it come back in some form down the line.