Roberts could get away with that because he had such a following that it didn’t matter if a bunch of people were disgruntled with their marketing BS and monocle-esque strategy.
I don’t think that would work for I-Novae. I think they need to be the good guys and avoid any potential accusations of money grabbing or pay to win, etc.
i don’t think it’s a wise move, epsecially if those ships have an upper hand in combat, this’ll turn the whole thing into pay to win sort of deal, which is a big game killer for most, especially that B:I is going to be a multiplayer game, i’m much more inclined to support visual customization, and mentioning visual customization, if I:B could pull something off like what All Points Bulletin did with the customization, adding more decals as a reward tier could make customization a lot of fun, god knows that i’ve had my fair share of time doing customized decals for my characters and vehicles, and you can always add a market where people can sell those custom made decals for in-game cash
I’m much more in favor of awesome looking skins / paint jobs / decals / lights / afterburner particles to name a few exclusive to kickstarter backers when it comes to ships.
I support it. Can it be worked into Kickstarter though?
After some people had me convinced that if I choose tier 4 I also get tiers 3,2 and 1.
If I can afford it I want a stick with the game on it and two copies.
As an aside, when I first posted in this topic I was an un(self)employed graduate and thinking I’d spend less than £100 on the KS.
I got a job back in April and will probably drop a few hundred on you guys. I’ll be looking for earliest possible access and probably a few beta copies for friends. Whatever that adds up to, I’ll add a bit extra up to about £300.
Isn’t there some standard for making custom T-shirts? By this I mean the possibility to send a blueprint to a network of independent/non-independent local T-shirt makers that recognize it and are able to create the requested T-shirt for the buyer.
Lol wut? Where did you get that idea?
Sure, people have been yelling ‘You should just do a Kickstarter already’ for the last 4 years, but INS’s response has always been the same: we’ll do crowd funding when we’re ready.
Hmm, I do recall him being quite hesitant about the idea of a Kickstarter (iirc)… but of course that was a long time ago back when Kickstarter was new and unproven, so some degree of caution was perfectly justified. Also he was always hoping to be able to fund the game “in house” through sales of the engine and completely avoid the risks associated with KS.
Actually, before Kickstarter was even born, there was something called the indie game development fund (something like that). Dev teams would submit their projects, and a winner was selected and given $250k iirc. We planned to do that before KS came along.
Just wanted to tell it here, instead of accidently derailing the other thread:
I want to point out that I just run into the problem described above in the thread. Someone pointed out that Strafe® could not get funded. So I checked their Kickstarter and noticed that there wasn’t really anything appealing above what I’ve funded (30 Euro) on first sight. Now after looking at it again, the next higher tier looks ok. And I can of course hand out some more extra on top of that. But that came only to mind while thinking about it for more then 5 minutes. And I probably wouldn’t have bothered to raise my extra cash if I couldn’t at least increase my reward. I’ll increase my reward tier to 45 Euro, adding 20 Euro and my top up to 20 Euro adding 15 Euro. Yes it a non propotional increase, I wan’t to support after all.
As said above. For Battlescape there need to be digital only rewards ranging from 5$ to 350$ or even above. People need to see something in the first 15 seconds to jump at if they think about increasing their pledge, like in a store full of goodies. If there wasn’t this 45 Euro tier I might have forgot about it or increased by 15 Euro and not 35 Euro.
Now with Battlescape I will of course take the time to think about it. But most people wont.
Edit: Just noticed that 45 Tier is gone. So I’ll take the 50 even if I don’t want to support early access. I really like that they put the goal where they think they can deliver a complete finished experience. I don’t wan’t to see that before it’s finished. Also noticed that hey don’t ship physical items to where I live. Sure I could circumvent that by letting them send it to a pacet enter in Germany but … maybe add a “Other” with triple the shipping?