0.2.8.0 ( Tuesday, 1st of May 2018 )
This new patch is an important step towards releasing the alpha, as it introduced the spectator game mode and various game states which currently act as placeholder (such as the main menu). There are also tweaks for the HUD and various sytems.
- Introduced the main menu. Currently is is empty, just click on any key to initiate the connection to the server
- Introduced the spawn menu. Currently is is showing your team bases at which you can respawn at. If a base does not have a spawn point, it will not be shown. Bases can be cycled (default bindings are left/right mouse buttons). You’ll respawn at the currently selected base.
Note that this spawn menu can make the camera jump from a planet to another very quickly and there’s no collisions on the camera. Ultimately, the spawn menu will not show a 3D view of each base, but the solar system’s strategic map with menus to select your ship/loadout. So the
current implementation is a placeholder until after the alpha is released.
- Introduced a kill-cam feature. The view switches to the ship that killed you a few seconds before you explode. After 10 seconds, it automatically switches to one of your ally’s viewpoint. Just like in the spawn menu, you can cycle through ship allies.
This mode only cycles through ships that are in the current battle zone (it will not cycle to a ship that is thousands of Kms away for example).
- Introduced a spectator mode. There are currently no restrictions on what can be observed, but restrictions will be added later on. You can enter the spectator mode at any time by selecting a target on your HUD and pressing F8 (default key). Note that your ship is still alive
during that time and will continue to fly through its current course. If you get killed while observing another actor, the spectator mode will be interrupted and you’ll be back to the spawn menu.
- Introduced experimental record/replay system. Since this is a heavy WIP, there is currently no way to launch a replay. This will come in a future patch
- Doubled pitch/yaw angular accelerations for the interceptor, to reduce rotationnal momentum
- Increased probabilites of some critical hits
- Reduced random aiming spread for bots AI
HUD / input
- Fonts now dynamically adapt to the screen/window resolution
Note: fonts were set up for 1440p, which caused players that are in 1080p (or below) to have text that is too big
- Information window has been moved from top-center to the bottom-right corner of the screen
- Revamped indicator types for actor classes; now using small / medium / large size indicators (respectively: triangular, diamond and hexagonal icons). Structures/bases ues a square icon. Planets still use a circular icon
- New icons have been added in various spots of the HUD (ex.: when exceeding air-speed, an icon is shown instead of the old “AS” flashing text)
- Ship systems status icons are now displayed on the left side of the HUD. When a system is broken, it will be shown as a flashing orange alert until the system gets repaired
- Non-ship actors such as missiles no longer cause a bleep sound when popping in/out on the HUD
- Experimental changes for HUD target indicators transparency and sizes; should now be more clear and improve tactical awareness
- Fixed an old bug with HUD indicator target directions radar/ring which was incorrect when camera view was rotated compared to the ship’s front direction
- Automatic version upgrade of input profile config file (plus, catching exceptions due to invalid config files)
- Added rotation animation to missile/torpedo HUD indicators
- Revamped indicators management, now server driven, which should fix many indicator-related bugs such as “?”
- Detection status of a newly spawned actor is instantly updated (there’s no longer a second of latency)
- Same for HUD indicators creation: the latency has been removed
- HUD no longer shows crosshair and velocity indicators when the viewed actor isn’t a ship
- Tweaks to cursor icons for HUD
- Added arrow to link center of screen to cursor on HUD
- Fixed atmospheric particle effects no longer affected by scattering color
- Fixed sudden change of music volume after a loading screen
- Fixed a crash when launching the game when an input profile in the data folder had an obsolete version
- Fixed a bug with velocity indicators always showing up in third-person camera mode
- Fixed a bug with normal calculation for a dynamic actor’s bounding box hit which could cause impacts to be displayed at the correct orientation
- Fixed wind grid leak when a planet gets deleted
- Fixed a bug with atmosphere objects pooling that sometimes gave the wrong (or no) atmosphere to a planet
- Fixed planet-engine related resource leaks
- Fixed bugs related to power critical hit ( loss of power ) which didn’t use the repair timer
- Fixed potential crash on client related to planet raycasts for projectiles
Assets, visual effects, performance
- Shadow uprate rate has been set to zero in extreme quality mode. This should help to prevent z-fighting flickering on shadows on dynamic entities, however the downside is a performance hit of 10 to 20%. Other quality settings are unaffected by the tweak
- Added a shield impact particle effect, and introduced “surface types” to actors. Weapons configuration files can now specify a different effect for each impact surface type
- Revamped a bit the normal and offset calculations for projectile hits
- Added a max texture resolution setting affecting loaded assets. Currently set to 1024 for at low quality, 2048 at medium quality, 4096 at high quality and 8192 at extreme quality. Note that these are maximums. If an asset texture has a resolution of 2048x2048, then only
in low quality will this texture change to 1024x1024.
- Added different hit feedback sounds for shields versus hull;