0.2.7.1 ( Saturday, 7 April 2018 )
This new patch includes a couple of quality fixes for planets and projectile effects, as well as massive improvements to the input system, including better support for controllers and HOTAS.
- Tweaked angular accelerations on the smaller ships. The main change is a reduction of angular acceleration on the interceptor to give some momentum to turning. The bomber and corvette are also affected in a smaller way.
- Increased survivability of all ships: small shields boost on bomber, medium boost on corvette and huge armor/shields increase for capital ships (up to +50% for cruiser/carrier).
- Emergency warp out condition tweaks: slightly above air speed, armor <= 75% and shields <= 5% (these conditions were too harsh previously, you had to fly to twice air speed for emergency warp to activate)
- Reduced minimum warp speed to 495 m/s instead of 500 m/s (to better match target speed 3)
- Relaxed max turn speed in direct flight mode
HUD / input
- Fix for players not showing up in exploration mode: the “player” indicator was accidentaly switched between exploration versus combat modes.
- Added support for dual controller inputs in the launcher settings dialog (note: these are mapped to Joystick0 and Joystick1 respectively)
- Added support for OEM key 102
- Introduced new game events supported by the input mapper: specific formation events (Ex.: SwitchFormationMatchVelocity), overcharge (SwitchOverchargeShields), toggling weapon groups (WeaponGroup3)
- Added an input mapper profile editor to the launcher settings dialog
- Added SetTargetSpeed event
- Added support for throttles (events declared as throttles return values in 0…1 instead of -1…1)
- Added support for controller vibrations in XInput - currently this means the XBox controller will vibrate on impacts, collisions, damage etc…
- Added/moved deadzones/curve power settings for both controllers to the input mapper editor. Same for mouse sensitivity. Revamped default settings to be more coherent.
- Added relative versus absolute navigation cursor modes. The absolute mode (SetCursorX and SetCursorY) allows usage of an axis to directly set the target velocity (you don’t need to move the actual cursor on screen for that)
- Also added SetViewYaw/Pitch events to set the absolute camera-view angle. This should be helpful for TrackIR users.
- Also, to improve TrackIR usage, the View (previously called “Head”) event no longer needs to be assigned. When unassigned, it returns true all the time. This allows TrackIR users to simulate a head-look without having to hold the view key
- Fixed View event affecting direct-mode flight model
- The roll axis event is now usable with the navigation cursor flight model (previously, only the roll left/right keys were used)
- Swapped some axis names between XInput and DirectInput. This change made all previous input mapper config files using Joystick0AxisN events incorrect. Please discard/rebuild them using the new input mapper editor
- Added experimental support for DirectInput force feedback. If somebody has a FF-enabled joystick, please test this build and let me know if you can feel a rumble/vibrations on the stick. Also, please send me the log file in PM, thank you
- Renamed “joystick sensitivity” to “power”. Note that the curve power is simply applying a pow(input, value) in the 0…1 range
- Introduced the notion of “idle” value for joysticks calibration. This part of the code is still not robust, due to the way DirectInput works
- Improved the key detection mecahnism. Added a 5 seconds timer to hitting a key.
- Updated support for arrows/POV/hats on controllers. 8-directional POVs should now be fully functional
- Introduced event types: AxisX and AxisY to replace Axis. These are used as hints for arrows/POV/hats when used as an axis input (the angle gets projected on the given axis type). Example: using an arrow with a value of 45° on AxisX will return 0.707
- Added filtering by event types/keys to the detection mechanism. You can’t input an axis into a ToggleButton for example.
- Fixed a rare bug where keyboard input could be lost upon loss of focus of the game (during an alt-tab for example)
- Moved controller settings to the input mapper config file; so they are now profile-specific
- Joystick axis values are automatically reset to their idle values when the game loses window focus
- Added event groups and support for groups exclusion to avoid certain false conflicts between some events
- Cleaned up and change names of some events to be more coherent
- Sensitivity settings should now make input more coherent between mouse and joysticks
- Introduced navigation sensitivity in relative cursor mode. Note that if the mouse sensitivity is different than 1.0, these two settings will get multiplied for incremental mouse movement. It is recommended to keep mouse sensitivity in the input profile to 1.0
and change the navigation cursor sensitivity instead.
- Fixed navigation cursor being incorrectly shown or hidden in direct flight mode
- Reverse axis state for an event can be toggled by double-clicking on the reverse column in the input profile editor
- The input profile editor shows conflicts/issues to the user before saving and exiting the dialog
- Added ability to clear a row, clear all rows, or reset/reload the parameters in the input profile editor
- Fixed cycling formation events which stopped on Fixed
- Navigation cursor settings are now only applied in relative mode. Absolute mode (basically, using SetCursorX and SetCursorY) bypasses those settings, as it is assumed that deadzone/power have already been applied from the input controller already
- Radial menus are now functional with gamepads/joysticks
- Fixed a bug that duplicated planets in video ram and forces cpu overhead by tesselating them, even if they were not rendered
Note: to be clear, planets were NOT rendered twice. They were generated twice (which has a performance cost, but not in terms of average framerate).
This saved around 600 MB of video ram usage.
- Fixed a camera smoothing glitch in third-perso view mode
Assets, visual effects, performance
- Introduced an experimental tweak to projectiles particles to provide some cheap anti-aliasing. Particles in the distance should also preserve their brightness longer now.
- Implemented planetary terrain quality settings. Planets tesselation should be higher around ground level in high or extreme quality mode. The planet should also retain a higher tesselation from space.
- Optimized planet material shader compilation; this should save up to a total of ~30 seconds of loading time when you start the game
- Fixed emissive on static actors, which stayed to zero (black) if the static actor didn’t have a power generator
- Fix for cockpit shadows; due to a wrong setting, cockpit shadow maps used a range that was too far away. The closest shadow map should now better cover the cockpit, which should dramatically improve shadows quality in cockpits
- Moved factory 8 into a crater on Sarake
- Added space whale easter egg around Semnoz (warning: might be hard to detect)