It would help if they would bring it to PC. Then maybe I would want to buy it, let alone be able to play it.
But eh … I’ll wait 10 years until I can emulate a PS4 on my PC 
It would help if they would bring it to PC. Then maybe I would want to buy it, let alone be able to play it.
But eh … I’ll wait 10 years until I can emulate a PS4 on my PC 
They are releasing it for PC at the same time as PS4. That was announced last week at E3.
The PC version was not news as I’ve had seen PC version mentioned on wiki for months. But I guess they re-announced to reassure that there is indeed going to be a PC version.
We could say that Infinity MMO was even more ambitious than No Man’s Sky as it would real scale geometry. Not to mention all the features that were more discussed by the community rather than confirmed by I-Novae. Should be noted that Crayfish’s summary of community driven gameplay discussions surprised Flavien of the unrealistic amount of work it would take. That is saying much as Flavien wanted to make a Massive Multiplayer Online game. Wish we’d see that summary. wink wink
That is what programmer art looks like. (Unlimited detail example)
My view is that No Man’s Sky is in the same category as Spore. Both are very ambitious procedurally generated universes with cartoony artistic styling and both have a lot of hype before release. Ultimately I don’t think NMS will be able to live up to the hype just as Spore didn’t. It’ll probably be a fun game for a while but I expect 99% of players won’t make the journey all the way to the galactic center.
programmer art is a funny way to put it, in this case i think it’s intentional, though. The bright flat colors are something a lot of newer games are doing thesedays, its a way to make full use of modern lighting and graphical effects without aiming for realism, it is also cheaper but i think overall that style has a lot more longevity than realistic graphics. For example an example of stylization aging better take, wind waker, it still looks good i think.
PA, overwatch, and a few other new games are using similar art styles.
Seems they’re working to get some form of crafting/building system up and running with it (if the way that weapon ‘absorbed’ the rocks it destroyed is anything to go by).
It was also upsetting to see just how painfully scripted their ‘unscripted gameplay demo’ was. They’d have done better if they hadn’t shown the game at all with how rushed they looked on-stage. A five-minute slot to show off what they did in ‘live’ gameplay was nowhere near enough.
Epic is more or less using a similar style with Fortnight so I’m inclined to agree that many games are going for more of a pseudo cartoony style.
Cheapskates, don’t want to pay for good art.
I’m having the same reaction.
I welcome it for two reasons:
It suggests a reduction in cost for creating any given visual. For the same cost, a greater number of interactions can be depicted. That means more emphasis on gameplay.
It properly reflects the gameplay, which is cartoony. All these complex visuals are false advertising because although I see a tree, it’s likely just a pillar that serves as an obstacle. I can’t cut it down, burn it down, climb it, turn it into boards, get bark from it, and so on. So a cartoony style allows the art team to depict only as many interactions as the gameplay can actually support.
Ultimately, realistic visuals are overkill for games. They’ll stay that way for a very long time. It’s just that players are used to ignoring all that false advertising.
I dislike the graphic style too.
I think nobody can resume the hype arround NMS as the consequence of Sony’s marketing, the game is the primary reason of this. And I personally agree with them : there’s not, actually on market, another game capable of what they did. And I don’t think INS is going to be in competition with NMS, or SC, etc… BS is a space arena shooter, not a MMO.
And the comparison with Spore is easy, but not really obvious for me. The gameplay’s choice concerning your own evolution was a huge mistake I think, like the fact of destroying everything around you to grow up (for the “game of life” it’s very reductive).
I bet on the good success (not the most ever, but a good one) of NMS, because I don’t think NMS has made the same errors. But I must confess I share the worries about the gameplay. I hope this is not just “move, discover, fight/absorb, go to move”. If so, the diversity of the generated environment will decide of the duration of success of this game I think.
Finally, it’s maybe because english is not my language, but I have the impression reading this topic that Sony is like Devil for a lot of members (or is it about this (stupid) opposition between big editors and indies ?) ? If so, why ?
It’s not just Sony, but almost all large companies, particularly in retail. They’ve become ever more manipulative, intrusive and dismissive of customers. We’re just a resource to exploit in their pursuit of greater profits as part of their ‘responsibility’ to shareholders. It’s a system that is quite broken. Elon Musk seems to understand the purpose of a company: to provide a service to the community. I think Steve Jobs had a similar attitude. And there are others out there. So when it’s done right, you can make a lot of money and still be admired for what you do.
Here’s a reddit on the topic of Sony hatred.
I think the disapproval of Sony in this thread is just about the misleading advertising and hyping up of the game.
NMS has received a lot more attention than I think it would have done on it’s own merits.
If you watched some of the big companies’ E3 press conferences, one thing you would notice is that they are trying very hard not to be the Microsoft from the 90s or EA from 10 years ago, in nearly every presentation from EA to MS, they mentioned how they are listening to the players concerns and wishes when making games, more importantly they are actually using those suggestions when it comes to features and design.
Times are changing…
thanks cybercritic, this what I’m trying to say too. Sony makes marketing of course, and they want to make a lot of money of course (who don’t ?), but their approach is the one consumers waited for a while. I think times are changing too, because the “this is for players” of Sony is real.
And you can notice that change on Square Enix too, watch the technical reports on FFXV, the FFVII remake, look at the Episode duscae 2.0 demo that includes the players suggestions, etc…
Apple, MS or EA (EA best “same game reseller”, it’s impressive) are not in this way.
Both Jobs and Musk work(ed) under the idea that if you build a better mouse trap you’ll catch more mice, but Musk has revealed himself to be something of a market revolutionary, while Jobs was far more of a traditional industry tycoon. Jobs, in particular, seemed to believe that quality products + market and customer manipulation = corporate empire. He was right.
The thing is, though, that corporations aren’t just businesses. They’re a special subset of business that has a responsibility to its shareholders above all else. That is what they are built for. So, one may have the opinion that a business must serve the community, but that opinion flies in the face of the very definition of a corporation. This is why businesses often go from innovative to oppressive once they go public. Their purpose transforms from providing products and services to customers to providing ROI to shareholders.
Sony has a long history of building ill will with computer users and gamers. One need look no further than Sony Music’s ninja root kit instalation on Windows XP computers back in the day, or Sony Online Entertainment’s mishandling of Star Wars Galaxies. And let’s not forget the hubris Sony displayed with the PS3 launch.
Sony managed to win console users back with the PS4, but PC gamers have long memories.
That said, I don’t see much Sony specific bile here. I think we just have a game that has a ton of hype, but for which we’ve seen NO actual gameplay. Whatsoever. We’ve seen THINGS. Planets, ships, NPC fleets, animals, plants, etc have been shown, but we have precious few ideas as to what you do with it all, other than get your name attached to planets you stumble across first. NMS is selling an idea, and we’ve all been burned by buying an idea, rather than a product, at some point in our lives.
Someone is telling me that they have a unicorn, but they’re only showing me photographs of white horse’s tails and helical horns. That’s not convincing. All that tells me is that they have tails and horns.
Is that what INS is doing, I mean they are showing even less ATM?
If the “general” KS crowd is as tough as the forum crowd, we are in deep shit.
if the I:B kickstarter is to be successful the kickstarter video will need to be very high quality while also gaining good reach (which means we need good luck)
And good marketing. At the moment reach is expanding, but we need to expand further. That’s where everyone here can help, by spreading awareness for the project when the time comes. Or now, share it with people now 
I’d like to request my earnings for 8 years of marketing of infinity 
No. INS isn’t claiming to have anything. They’re just saying they want to go unicorn hunting. There’s a huge difference.