No Man's Sky - Hello Games

After 10 hours in game over the last 3 nights I personally don’t recommend No Man’s Sky.

I can imagine it being fun if played with some friends (although reports are that the multiplayer is pretty iffy) but as a single player game, it sucks. It’s like a bad MMORPG from ten years ago, with no players in it. There is stuff to do, but actually it’s pretty boring, albeit slightly addictive (it’s got to get better soon right? I’ll keep going a bit longer).

My opinion might change as I experience more of what it has to offer, but I’m not particularly looking forward to getting back in-game.

I’m about 20 hours in, following the Sentinel, base and anomaly paths, it’s keeping me very occupied. You need to find an unmarked grave to get to the Sentinel story arc, seems there is a whole story based on figuring out where the sentinels came from and how to stop them.

Some things I have done:
[-]Got a freighter, sent frigates to many expeditions (If you win a space battle, you get the freighter free of charge)
[-]Own 2 bases
[-]Have overseer, scientist and armorer working at the base, currently looking for a farmer
[-]Got a better ship (25 slots)
[-]Expanded inventory by 15 slots
[-]Investigated Gek ruins, turns out Gek ruled the galaxy at one point through force
[-]Unlocked many base upgrades
[-]Took on a few mission board missions, my standing with Gek and Korvax is pretty decent.

I’m really enjoying NMS, not ready to put it aside yet, there are a few bugs that pop up once in a while and that’s my only complaint.

1 Like

I’m reacting somewhere in between the two of you. I enjoy the exploration and strange encounters - the single player experience doesn’t bother me because it does feel somewhat alive.

However, I find myself reluctant to log back in because of the horrific UI. It’s quite a fiddle to manage all your resources etc and that’s putting me off a bit.

Even so, I won that space battle and now also have a freighter, which is cool. Would love to get a new ship, but I’ll have to get making money for that!

I like the essence of it, even if the execution is messy. Hopefully they will continue to tidy it up.

We’ll see.

Find an abandoned ship, they are usually the 30+ slot ones, however to fix them is way too expensive as they are worth in the +20mil range. Fix the launch thrusters and the pulse drive, go to a station and exchange it for something mid-range ~20 slot, you won’t have to pay any additional money.

You can make decent idle money by sending the frigates that are attached to your freighter on expeditions, speak to the navigator, he will instruct you to build a command room…

1 Like