New blog post: particle systems and status

14 Likes

I’d settle for interpretive dance.

In fact, I demand that you show me, in your Kickstarter videos, what a space battle will look like in Battlescape through the medium of interpretive dance!

5 Likes

Ok community what can we still from this screen shot. It appears we have some sort of planetary ring system that does not actually go around the planet (Interstellar anyone??). The planet also appears to see through (Ghost planet maybe??!?). The white line on the bottom right seems to be a spacial ribbon. These blue items i can only assume are space whales and the white dots are space plankton. Very nice work fellas. :smile:

2 Likes

An updated Motion blur and terrain physics video would be sweeter.

We’re looking at what may be space lightning, or possibly space whales. Delver may end up a happy man!

2 Likes

Infinity:Battlescape

Fight of the Space Whale infested Space of the Space future in this Zombie Survival Game of the Space Genre. Preorder this 2017 Blockbuster NOW!

SICK!

This is the point where a thread begins to go off-topic.

2 Likes

I think the blue space whales are stations!!

Hyppity hype!

:tinfoil: aha! blue things! Must be uhh, ships, no, asteroids, no, maybe stations. MAYBE pls maybe

Andre is working on Windows. DirectX 9 support confirmed!

1 Like

All right, here is what I think that image is:

View of a battle above the moon of a ringed system from the surface of said moon. Low FPS because of many different ship types (space stations?), weapons, explosions, rings, etc.

We’ll know in ~3 months whether I was right. :smiley:

That’s one hell of a low frame rate!

6 Likes

Back on topic though :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome blog! It’s great to hear some of the more technical aspects of what everyone has been doing. I know you have all been hard at work and I’m sure it’s not easy to take the time to write up a blog, but it makes a huge difference to see a new post now and again.

Keep up the good work guys! I can’t wait to see where this goes :slight_smile:

EDIT: wording

lol no, but keep your eyes on the various twitter feeds… :wink:

Just made another quick scene in Unity, running at 65fps in the editor with ~160k tris in 5 smoke particle systems, so around 80k particles.

There are a number of factors at play that won’t necessarily make it a 1:1 comparison. First of all there’s the relative size of the quads on screen which affects fill rate, shader complexity, and lastly render target bandwidth. For example we’re rendering to an HDR render target and if you’re not rendering to an HDR render target with your Unity version that can skew the results (assuming it’s GPU bound). Lastly once you start getting over 100fps you can run into perf hits due to post-processing and other things that have nothing to do with particles.

To summarize you’d need an identical machine, you’d have to remove all post-processing, render to the same render target format, use the same emitter logic to get (more or less) the same particle size and distribution, and then profile it to see if it’s GPU bound or CPU bound.

1 Like

I understand that @INovaeKeith, just throwing some numbers out there.

I was hoping that you would be giving numbers to the general public in a general public way, so, skewed toward the high end. :slight_smile:

Over my head except for the space wales.

1 Like

Immensly excited to have another blog post at last! When was the last update, 2013? Feels like so long ago now. All the progress is very impressive: it’s happening! Infinity is being worked on by people! The kickstarter is coming! Hooray!

Re: Flavien’s view on E:D: YES

One of the big spectres hovering over Infinity at the moment is the number of other space games that are coming out. I remember in the old days the only other comparable object in the space games space (lol) was Eve, and the discussions on Infinity vs EVE were some of the longest threads (if not THE longest thread) on the old forums. And Eve isn’t even particularly LIKE Infinity in scope, vision or ethos. How are people going to think now that the most successful kickstarter of all time (I think??) is a space game that is promising the earth (Star Citizen) and the freakin’ inspiration for Infinity (Elite) is bringing out a new game.

Flavien’s views on where infinity stands compared to these and how he is gearing I:B to be (I would assume to be fairly in line with his vision for I:TQFE) will be fundamental to the shaping of the community in the time leading up to the kickstarter, the type of people who will be kickstarting, how people on forums and reddit pitch the game to each other and respond to criticism and ultimately will shape how this game develops when it gets funded (it will at least get the minimum I’m almost certain).