New blog post: Elite Dangerous and other space games

Would you really play SimCity when other players have B-2s?

I might.

Don’t mind this line, just extra characters to appease the forum fairy.

1 Like

This is a semi-accurate people of nullsec in Eve. I say semi because what you can build is limited, but it is still there. People have entire empires along with the power to knock their own, or enemy empires down. If the mechanics are there to stop the B-2’s when possible - yes, I would play that SimCity…

Obviously there would be many ways to defend your planets and such…

Sure, and there is a balance there. The constructs in EVE Online are slapped up and slapped down. It is the fight to control the space around the constructs that is the focus of the game. To make a SimCity-style construction task work would require a destruction or conquest system that was equally intricate. That’s why I asked about B-2s. A B-2 strike is not at all intricate.

I can imagine an intricate construction system. SimCity. I can’t imagine an equally-intricate invasion system that would interest anyone who likes to invade. If there was a place for such things, somebody would have built one. Invaders like to show up with a fleet and blow the crap out of stuff. Success through greater firepower. There is a fundamental disconnect between intricate constructions and hamfisted attacks. It is the problem of the bull in the china shop; very little china survives. So who would make china?

I invite you to present your ideas (in another thread). We had rather spirited exchanges on invasion systems in the old forums.

1 Like

That would be a subset of strategy games. While construction is oriented toward producing means of destroying the opponent (and preventing them to do the same), they can have a pretty intricate construction system, while still ultimately having a destruction-oriented gameplay.
Now, traditional RTS and MMO do not exactly have a happy history together, but I’m convinced that it can be made to work by tweaking the formula. For example, having construction being a team effort (so the field is not populated by one-man-armies only), for a well-known one.

I’m not saying that it should or shouldn’t be done in I:B, simply that it is actually not impossible.
As to why it hasn’t been done, well, it actually has by team multiplayer games with a commander role (Natural Selection, Allegiance… ). Even though the construction gameplay is restricted to one player and relatively simplified compared to other gameplay parts, it does show it can be done.

It also shows it is tricky and resource-intensive to do AFAICT.