New blog post: Elite Dangerous and other space games

See, I’m more concerned about the interplanetary travel mechanic in Battlescape than I am for the MMO concept. In the MMO, you jump between systems, and the system insertion point can be balanced and play tested, and you can say “Ok, players will enter systems at a distance of 3 AU from the star, and the inner system is their oyster”. If we only have one system to play with in Battlescape, however, that’s not necessarily any longer the case. Wider access to the entire system may be more important, since each side may end up needing territory in the system at the start of the game. Unless those territories are planet/satellite systems that are each only a handfull of AU from the star, the ability to travel between the inner and outer parts of the system in an expedient fashion becomes very important.

That’s an old discussion, and a long one for another day, perhaps.

If you’re not the kind of person who likes having 10 - 15 minutes of down time, I’d say don’t take the trip. Just like if you’re not the kind of person who doesn’t enjoy long drives, don’t sign up for an 8 hour day trip through the mountains, and scratch long haul trucker off of your list of career ambitions.

I said sycophants. I suggest you get a textbook, or at least learn how to Google.

“Some things work better than others.” In other news, water sometimes falls from the sky. You haven’t actually said why this blog post is ineffectual, or even counter-productive. You’ve just asserted that it is, that INS should be afraid, and that they should keep their opinions to themselves.

And since then, you’ve chosen to interpret criticism of your own comments as being told to shut up.

If Flavian admitted that he risked rubbing someone the wrong way, what have you added by suggesting that he risked rubbing some people the wrong way? Seems to me that that you haven’t said anything that isn’t wildly [sic] known by anyone that has read his post at a novice level.

That is a very aggressive response @Kichae , I have no idea what you are on about.

I don’t understand why some of the blog posts are so heavily criticized.
If you don’t want to hear the opionion of the authors, you don’t have to read them. And if you read them, don’t complain when their opinions don’t match your own.

I assume that that is directed at me @TARS, and I nearly completely agree with the opinion that the blog expresses…

It was directed at everybody who participated in critizing the style or legitimacy of the blog posts, some people even stated that they started to dislike the authors because of it. I think that super childish.

How long have you been here @TARS?

Since January 2nd according to my profile.

Welcome then, enjoy your stay, you have probably joined at the most exciting time since the release of the ICP in 2007.

I don’t think I ever said that ? I think you should read again what I wrote with an open mind. I only said that I preferred a fast yaw physics model, like it was designed in the ICP. I kept mentionning that this is subjective and that other people would be fine with it.

And no, I don’t think the ICP is “superior”. It was a small prototype developped in 6 months more than 7 years ago. There’s no way it holds a candle to any modern (or older) space sim.

As for “critizing” these games, well yeah there’s a bit of criticism, but I don’t think it was harsh or unconstructive. I praised many Elite Dangerou’s features, and in my conclusion I said it was a great game ( although not the ultimate space sim I was awaiting ). If that sounds harsh to you, well I’ll have to review my definition of what “harsh” is.

I don’t think I really negatively criticized NMS either. I mostly said I was confused about its concepts, that I was afraid that it could turn out repetitive ( which is a valid concern for any procedural game, no matter who produces it ), and that its graphical style wasn’t to my taste. None of these are criticisms at all, unless I’m mistaking something. Saying that a game might not be in your alley does not mean that I think the game sucks or that what we’re doing would be better. If I take the example of Eve Online, I think it’s a fantastic game, probably the best in its category, and I totally understand that hundreds of thousands of people are hooked on it. But it’s not my cup of tea and I don’t see what’s wrong by saying that.

5 Likes

Seems I read too much into that blog post, sorry about that.

We can expect more next week?

Because of all the negative feedback, we have decided not to blog anymore :wink:

3 Likes

I didn’t it was harsh and I don’t think you have to re-evaluate your concept of it.

Given that some of the negativity is almost predictable and possibly even algorithmic, why don’t you guys create a negative bot that procedurally generates negative feedback. You can even give them personalities. Just think, @INegativeGene could be the first to post and do a far more thorough job of criticizing everything that anyone ever posts. Genius I tell you! :wink:

3 Likes

It’s not. Read it again, and don’t assume I’m being aggressive. Just because I’m not being passive, or taking a “we’ll have to agree to disagree” stance doesn’t mean I’m acting with any sort of aggression.

I sincerely hope that if you guys had all jumped into Elite: Dangerous and collectively went “This is the exact space game I’ve always wanted. I wouldn’t change a thing!” that you’d immediately start figuring out how you’d tackle the puzzle platformer.

You expect me to re-read your post again and grant you my understanding for what you are saying, while you dispute every sentence that I have presented and show no hint of understanding any meaning of what I’m saying?

Sorry, no.

Also, just got a warning from the forum that my participation in this thread has crossed over 20% and I should let others speak…

Surely you jest!!

Wow, this thread has become very heavy. Allow me to lighten it.

What’s brown and sticky?

…
…
…
… A stick.

*Watches tumbleweed blow past.

mud

*Goes to bed

/me readies another tumbleweed.

/me readies a fireball.

/me readies another screenshot…

Oh wait… not yet, you’ll get that on sunday. You can wait!

2 Likes