KS Video first vs. second impression

I would do that.

The pitch is well short and sweet. But the selling point isn’t really shown, it is talked about and that’s great. The space battles look cool too. People need to see the prototype! I can understand that it takes time to show the transistions, but it’s worth it.

We can’t make a gif like that, a seamless transition would take a minute or two and gifs that long would be insanely huge. We’re probably going to make a small video to demonstrate it instead.

3 Likes

Grass, 3D tree LODs, Wind + Weather, Volumetric clouds with scale: if those get added it will add a crapload to the game’s aesthetics, I’m sure some of that will happen at some point, prototype is pretty basic stuff and this prototype is quite well done.

I have seen Alpha versions of games before that would give you nightmares!

You could however make a time lapse gif und write in the corner of the image “time 4x speed up” or something like that. Maybe that would be smarter since a video will not play automatically.

2 Likes

Thats how I imagined it!
The seamless aspect of the game is its “killer-feature”, I think it is hugely important to communicate strongly to people unfamiliar with the project.

3 Likes

Hutch, how awesome would it be to have the “best of” parts of this video and show it on kickstarter page?
This way, all people can see the work already done (and the awesomeness of planetary transitions).
My concern is that too many people leave the kickstarter page without even seeing the true potential of the game.

The following happened to several of my friends yesterday with almost exact same reactions:
The process went like this:

  1. They see the kickstarter page. “meh”, “so many space games nowadays”, “seems interesting”.
  2. I show them the screenshots forum topic - “wow, this is so beautiful”.
  3. I show them this video - “oh my god, I want to play this now!”
2 Likes

@kibermiaf I think that’s a pretty good idea. A well directed video such as the KS vid is definitely a great hook, but many people will react better to a “real” video showing the nitty gritty current in-game experience such as that showcasing what’s already possible from within the engine itself.

Especially, when it’s accompanied by a genuine fan’s reactions whilst experiencing it such as Bluedrake42.

Actually I’d suggest doing it without movement. Simply 4-8 small screenshots next to each other. All showing the same target from different heights. I know that this doesn’t show, that there are no loading-screens. But you can still have a lengthy video next to it!

1 Like

I still think you guys are slightly missing the point of the trailer’s purpose. Generally speaking, you have only a few minutes to hook someone into the premise of the game, and the premise of the game is more about the pew pew than moving between planet and space seamlessly. A good trailer should also lead with a narrative and tell a story. I think therefore it was more important that the trailer focused more on action and emotion than technical features.

The trailer makes people want to engage with the product, and the full pitch, including the supplementary livestreams and Q&As should explain why someone should buy the product.

Also, I’m pretty sure it’s fairly rare for a KS to launch with a cinematic style trailer shot wholly in engine.

Also, it’s still a lot better than E:D’s trailer, which rightly got ridiculed for being over-produced.

2 Likes

Like this:

10x Speed

It is a little big, but also has a reasonable resolution. 14MB.

Created with gifcam in 5 minutes. Writing in corner is also possible with it, just didn’t feel like it on the forum.

6 Likes

Awesome job. I would make it even faster and smaller in resolution and would land on planet in normal speed at the very end. Also a more linear decline would probably be better.

1 Like

Here’s a smaller, faster version:

6 MB

The text got copied on all the frames instead all but the last ten … so I didn’t slow it down at the end. Must have missed a setting.

5 Likes

Try to increase a bit the framerate and with your permission I’ll upload it to the KS page :smile:

14 MB is small, in terms of quality/framerate you can aim for 20 MB, that’d still be reasonnable I think.

4 Likes

I guess I am not a fan of speeding up a gif :frowning:

1 Like

The first one is 10 FPS the Second 20 FPS. I presume you are talking about the first one.

@Community: Do you have any better footage of someone descending? Preferably in a more linear, less shaky line.

This was taken from one of Bluedrake42s videos. The link you added to the top of the Kickstarter isn’t bad either.

If you add a GIF. Rather capture from the Prototype directly, and maybe without/less HUD.

I can polish this up tough if it’s just for reference.

1 Like

I plan to make a new re-entry video when I get home from work.

7 Likes

The first is better, IMO.

But you could lose the last couple of seconds, where the view gets shakey and dives down. That adds nothing.

I’d say slow it down further and only go as far as where the mountains are on the horizon- Just before the cockpit frame jumps into view and it starts looking messy.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah. I meant to say, I really liked the kickstarter video.

So Paladin 28 dies? Noooo!

1 Like

If you intend on making a new re-entry video, can I suggest you have someone fly with you doing some manoeuvres so that people don’t think it’s on rails.

5 Likes

Oh, oh, I know! Do a raid! Have 3 ships fly in formation, drop out of warp over the volcanic planet, dive into a lava trench to hide from sensors and then emerge from it to start firing on a factory, the camera fading to black as they begin firing!
…
Too ambitious?

EDIT: I was inspired by what the devs said during bluedrake’s video. I thought that something like that will show planetary landings, planetary features and how the fit into the game’s purpose (which is combat). It would show even more of what the game is about if the ships chatted with each other (or with some commander) and said that they want to destroy a radar installation or similar so their cap-ships can arrive and nuke the site from orbit.

Might be hard to make it with very good quality, since the buildings are untextured, unless they have some textured buildings they can use. And it might require some coordination to do in the prototype, unless it’s easy to just put a few ships on rails and capture a scene.