First glimpse of the Battlescape prototype

I could be wrong, but it looks sort of like a computer game.

4 Likes

Certainly a cockpit view. I’m wondering if it is from a space station where all that white stuff in the upper left is a planet which is being hugely overexposed courtesy of HDR rendering.

It just now occurs to me to wonder why cockpits would have faceted glass on them with a metal frame. Why not be like modern fighters and use an all-glass bubble?

Apologies for immediately going off-topic.

Art direction for this particular faction lends well to the brutality and utility of faceted cockpits. This is why :wink: however, you’re likely to see more of the sleek cockpit designs in the other two factions, especially those curvy dudes.

4 Likes

Because that’s the style we wanted for this particular ship, no other reason.

Edit: And I didn’t see Dan’s post… YAY.

4 Likes

I noticed the other screenshot looks really sunset ish. Do we need to have another talk Hutchings???

1 Like

Ha, well, I wasn’t there so you can’t blame me! Although I did take that one for last weeks screenshot share, and it’s “Sunset-ish,” but I think we’re ok.

Just wait till you see the next three for this weekend. :wink:

4 Likes

This, my friends, is what is called a teaser.

2 Likes

I’m going for planet in a night sky or a very large hanger with an open roof. (that wight off to the left)

It looks a cockpit view from inside an hangar or platform of some kind…

Also I think a photo from the guys would be great.

2 Likes

In real yes bubbles all the way… but in game - oh boy.

With headtracking i actually like some thin lines of frame for orientation.
In a dogfight it is really easy to loose track of which way your plane is rotated, when your head is tracking enemy. it really helps to see some reference.

Yeah, you hear fighter pilots complain about that all the time. :wink:

If the player has headtracking then their body tells them their orientation. For everyone else, a mark on the canopy directly over the pilot’s head should suffice. That’s about the only orientation where neither the HUD nor the ship is (classically) in the field of view.

So have a faceted cockpit without the frame. I want to be able to see the game world as I fly about.

That’s an extreme example because I wouldn’t want the heavy distortion created by such a thing, but the basic idea is to create that brutal look while still keeping the canopy clear. I can well understand that the graphics programming work would be prohibitive, but even something approximating the look would be appreciated.

I just can’t imagine playing games that just won’t let me see the game world. Too many are presented dark and cluttered. The Infinity:Battlescape visuals are just too beautiful to cover up.

Elite:Dangerous

Star Citizen

No Man’s Sky does a somewhat better job, probably because they created a game world that they want their players to be able to see.

I’d probably be less annoyed by it if I was using VR gear and could move my head around.


One last thought that might be an interesting thing to put on the Someday list. Keep screen clutter to a minimum (well, I’d like that today). So when simply flying around, the canopy is clear and the HUD is minimal. If the player switches to a mode of activity that requires more clutter, add it. Navigation, scanning, etc. Combat would probably introduce the most clutter.

The bit that just occurred to me is that when the player is ready to go into combat, have a visible heavy frame deploy around the canopy. Do it Iron Man style, with lots of bits and pieces interlocking to form the frame. That suggests that there might even be multiple frames. One simple frame might be used when operating in atmospheres or dusty systems or near stars. The combat frame may well be the heaviest, though refueling off a star might involve no exterior visibility at all.

Taken to an extreme, stuff all over a ship would pull an Iron Man transformation. To some modest extent. Extra bracing or armor for the critical parts of the ship that would normally interfere with efficiency or accuracy that are acceptable in dangerous circumstances.

Suit up.

4 Likes

Hey Keith. could you move somewhere closer please … you know… so we could see… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Rogue system is using the “internal surround screens cockpit” method, basically you are in the center or so of the ship but you have a great view of whats around you. More games should do it that way, it’s far more believable and gives you great field of view without sacrificing any cockpit control bits and bobs you might want to put inside the viewscreen sphere.




3 Likes

You’ll have different camera views if you find the visibility to restricted, which I don’t, there will ideally be cockpits of vastly different designs to cater to different aesthetics and preferences.

5 Likes

Will we be able to “install” different cockpits onto the same ship, depending on our preference? Or are the cockpits shipbased ala Elite?

1 Like

That looks promising because of the large field of view.

I do like the idea of being in the center of the ship. As a devotee of the spherical spaceship, that would work just fine.

I don’t care for the physical control panels, but I assume that’s a Rule of Cool thing. Gotta have switches, lights and dials or it’s not high tech.

The solution for me is probably VR, but that’s rather moot for now.

No, that is not the intent. Each ship will have a unique cockpit design. The only way I see modular cockpits happening is if we don’t raise enough capital to have unique cockpits, and we have to go with a universal. However, for me personally that is last resort territory. I’m not a fan of the centered spherical see through virtual cockpit idea, never have been.

4 Likes

Here’s another one

source: https://twitter.com/inovae_keith/status/611565731780673537

It’s a space station. I’m very much hyped.

5 Likes

Some zoom magic…

1 Like