I wonder if it would be too much to ask for a fly-by video… 
I still usually feel kind of constricted by the design language of the factions rather than feel like my creativity is enhanced by it.
On top of that, we’re dealing with entire civilizations with free people making decisions about how they build within certain technological limitations. I think that the factions are a bit too limited in what they’re actually allowed to do, which may hinder the variety.
I’ve actually felt that way for a long time, but if artists can manage to produce enough variety within the current guidelines, then I guess that’s not really my business. But, that’s how I feel about the design language given my personal tastes.
Actually, I’d do as a Harrier and slam it in reverse (ok, that’s not exactly how it works in the Harrier, but close enough).
We are sticking to the faction guidelines, especially for I:B as there will be a small sample size of assets, and I want aesthetic consistency. For the MMO, yes, it makes sense that there would be many different designers/manufacturers, hence a larger variation of inter-faction designs. However, we’re a long ways off from worrying about that “problem”
As far as Deltan styling is concerned, I have always preferred Kristian’s (space’s) visualization and have disliked the angular/fin dominated designs seen in the old contributions system. That’s pretty much it on Deltan for now.
You don’t need wings for that.
I believe this is the point, is it not?
In the real world, artistic vision in functional objects is constricted by finite strength materials, immutable laws of physics, and the local understanding of both. As such, there’s a certain level of correlation between form and function.
In a game, it’s actually easier to make indestructible materials, and the laws of physics work however you want them to, so something else is required to cause that correlation. Telling artists to “try make it look kind of related”… well, in a professional setting, with multiple artists working together, chances are you’ll either be asked to elaborate or they’ll construct their own set of rules simply because it works.
This work is PHE-NOM-E-NAL. Period.