You people still need to understand: bloom is a prominent phenomenon observed in lense artifacts. It simply doesn’t look right when it doesn’t correspond its counterpart lensing. It’s a hack which only substitutes a limited case of lense artifacts. It looks bad when we pretend it’s some imaginary special component to visualization, and ignore the many other fundamentally-indifferentiable ways lenses will also screw with light in simultaneity.
It’s important to note how the same mechanism causing these “light artifacts” has various instances beyond the viewer’s lense. There’s lots of different materials which can cause an apparently anomalous appearance due to the many interesting ways light can be diffracted, refracted and reflected.
Bloom is a hack in the same way diffuse/specular models are hacks; and they’re trying to capture different parts of (eventually) the same phenomena. We’re talking like Greek mathematics, not Babylonian.
Also, I wonder if we don’t expect very intense lights to be more white than that - though it may simply be how my brain is trying to translate ‘too much light’ in a colour.
Any visual phenomena due to your brain is not bloom as it shall be properly defined; I assure you. You’re accounting multiple phenomena happening at once, and so your analysis is pretty crappy.
High dynamic range imagics are also sorta part of the hack that is bloom. If I-Novae wanted physically based lense phenomena, they’d be working with spectral radiance – and hopefully with the representational fidelity necessary to simulate an imperceptibly high amount of energy being diffused into greater area, by some means.
“Bloom” as we know it seems to be much more evident in particular camera photos. Our eyes have very different lenses (less distance to propagate), eh.
As it is, I have yet to see one engine or game using real eyeball bloom. I suppose that it is because algorithms are already existing, and are probably simpler than eyeball bloom anyway.
In my opinion: pooop! I have like 5 things to say about this statement. I guess I’ll just revert to being immature rather than trying to properly pick out what I want to say.
Well…
Before, you were talking about your brain causing artifacts with your perception.
Now you’re talking about eyeballs.
Regarding why you suppose: I don’t think these graphics programmers even know what they’re doing. They’re a monkey chain.
If they knew what they were doing (they probably didn’t), then I’d ask: maybe they were trying to produce “camera bloom” rather than eyeballs? I guess they were working from photo references to produce photo-realism rather than eyeball-real-ism, or they imagined the player is interfacing with the game world through a camera, or they just think cameras can make sexier lense-flares and better, more fancy cinematics than eyeballs can.
