That’s certainly what we’re going for! =D
Do you plan on having multiple player ships?
I’m afraid I don’t quite understand what you’re asking.
I mean cap ships controlled by multiple players.
We currently don’t have any plans for that in Battlescape due to limits on our resources however I think that could be a great opportunity for modders. Too early to say for the MMO.
Personally, I can’t wait for someone to take the opportunity to re-create something like Star Wars Battlefront II space battles. That would mean to make basically an FPS though, and I don’t know if that is possible (mod newbie here).
If it is, you can bet I’ll try, would be awesome and a nice twist to the gameplay.
From what I understand, Both Battlescape and the MMO are intended to be straight-up space sim games rather than… future(?) sim/sci-fi(?) sim… games.
An EVE/DUST514 still spin-off, some time in the future, might not be a bad idea, though.
Aren’t DICE planning on doing that… with the Battlefront IP?
They even have teaser out for it.
Hold on, I said something LIKE battlefront, but as I said since I still don’t know much about modding I don’t know if FPS bits could be built up from zero with the SDK.
Anyways yeah DICE is making Battlefront, maybe it will be out in 2015, maybe not, I’m not really holding my hopes up for a game published by EA (Titanfall aside, ahah)
I envision two old men sitting at a chest board, frowning, and occassionally shouting “I’ve sunk your battleship!” preceding greater moments of silence. (with lasers awkwardly whizzing around their heads)
Why does Discourse keep screwing up what I type and make me feel like I’m making lots of typos?
Remember dooods: There’s no point in controlling capital ships if you’re inable to make them enjoyable during development (rip them out). I don’t really know why the two unusual words ‘capital’ and ‘ships’ being situated in uncomfortable proximity is some kinda requirement for having space fiction.
Hurray for the first space fiction which is actually about space rather than following a boring, unreasonable template!
IIRC, Flavien said that the I-Novae Engine could potentially be used for any genre, like FPS or RTS, so it would be possible.
The problem, though, is that FPS assets like human body animations or FPS control schemes would probably have to be done from scratch - including body physics (ragdoll or otherwise). Meaning probably a lot of work.
At some point I toyed with the idea of fiddling together a Shattered Horizon-like thingie and see where it went, with “real” movement (e.g. you don’t instantly 180° with a heavy space suit, nor with a M60-like machine gun). But other engines like Unity are probably better suited for it, with FPS assets more easily available - if I even find time to actually do it.
Hopefully someone else will have realized how great that would be by then, but I don’t hold by breadth…
Pretty sure I remember it being mentioned that things like human body physics will need to be made anyway for the engine, even if battlescape won’t use them, because people buying the engine would want them.
Oh true, I forgot they plan not to keep the engine for themselves so yeah, pretty awesome. I always liked the idea in battlefront to be able to destroy an enemy ship both from the outside and the inside, the battles that took place were pretty epic. Now imagine that in a much larger scale, would be a cool mod.
I think you and me will have to agree to disagree.
The engine and the ships look very nice, but what I really care about is how they behave in atmosphere. Maybe this is off-topic but it’s a real issue for me, I don’t care that much about the stuff i can do up in space. In Dust 514 I just like to hop in a Dropship and fly around the area, I think they did a good job with that, the ship is a bit unstable, therefore making it more interesting. I hope Infinity will have some degree of difficulty in atmospheric flight.
We do plan on having a different flight model for atmospheric flight however the exact nature of this is something that’s still being discussed.
I hope that landing a drop ship is a unique challenge, but I hope that atmospheric craft that have business operating in the atmosphere (even if they are moving at 2km/s) are as straightforward to fly as today’s aircraft. I say that because the challenge of flying a drop ship is the flying itself. A drop ship should be designed for crazy descents and barely-controlled arrivals in a hostile environment. Flying an aircraft should be a secondary task for a pilot; he’s actually trying to shoot somebody or scan something or do any of the other things that spaceships do, but in atmosphere and over much shorter distances.
I wouldn’t expect a space ship to be difficult to operate in atmosphere, but I’m of the opinion that they should be obliged to be very limited in their ability to operate in atmospheres. The larger the ship, the greater the limitation*. A drop ship is a very low-tech vehicle that a spaceship fires at a planet. The ship races down to the surface, brakes at the last minute, dumps its cargo. loads anything that needs to go off-planet, and then rockets (literally) back to space where it can be picked up again. It’s just an interface vehicle for getting stuff through the atmosphere.
If the planet has no atmosphere, just park your battleship an inch above the ground and offload that module that’s the size of a city block.
*The space ship limitation is essentially that space ships do not tolerate operating in contact with mass. A tenuous atmosphere isn’t a problem for most ships, but a battleship might think twice about it. A dense atmosphere is something that only the smallest warp-capable ship would attempt. The penalty for operating in a massy environment is damage or destruction of your warp drive. Which is a catastrophic way to lose your entire ship in a flash of light.
I’m not saying that it should be stupidly hard, but features like air resistance and stalling would be nice to have, to a reasonable level of course. Then again, I won’t really mind if these features will be absent, but I do think they’ll add a bit of excitement to the game.