I’m not surprised at all. Good grief, the original models were insanely high-poly! Kids these days…
@Indicable Considering that next to the cockpit the engines are the second most eye-catching thing on a starship… It’s the only “moving” part of the vehicle so it will draw a lot of attention.
I have no idea what the average ship size in Battlescape will be, so if this bomber is considered a small ship, that’s fine. I was under the impression that it will be a “dogfighting” game, therefore smart ships like this will be the most common (so ship poly count would be optimized for these ships, and cut back on big ones, not the other way around.)
The “insanely high-poly” doesn’t matter. The only form that a hard surface model like that will ever meet any game engine is in bakes. I’m not comparing the two models.
But considering what Gene said, that this is not really and ingame model, the whole question can be disregared in the first place. 
Except he also said that thrusters “are generally baked in on ships this small”.
This suggests that it’s not all that different from the in-game model
Yes they will, and the triangle budgets take that into account. Ships up to Corvette size will likely have thruster detailed baked in.
Correct, this model is pretty close to an in-game mesh.
The triangle budget for the Bomber is ~15,000-20,000 triangles. At the moment the current LP mesh is around 17k and it does not have landing gears yet.
Thanks for the info Gene. Looking forward to the KS 
I really like the style of concepts - they’re looking very solid and utilitarian. As spaceship should be. I’m not a big fan of the “space planes” a’la Star Citizen style - they’re looking too “aircraft’ish” for me.
Glad you like them! For SFC our intention has always been to go with a much more industrial, gritty art style rather than the more traditional sterile feel that SC seems to be favoring.
Got around to grabbing a couple editor shots of the WIP Hellion with some updated Environment maps and some thruster burn Illumination.
@Scarish. Totally agree.
@INovaeKeith. Good to know
Those pics look amazing Andre, I just about passed out…
Incredible shots! Can’t wait to see it in the KS demo. When i realize that Hellion on the first screenshot may easily dive and seamlessly land on this planet - i just…have strong feeling of the Universe without any boundaries.
UPD: What class Hellion is?
Corvette I believe.
Ah Inifinity, you keep reminding me why I love you so.
Good luck to all the team. Make that Kickstarter demo something that will cause the entire gaming world pay attention.
So much dev talk is nice to see, just missing IA for some reason.
Anyway great work, 2 months and counting for the KS, can’t wait 
Will there be a second faction ship? Or will it all be Green vs Purple?
Veeerrrry nice. A little niggle though. I can appreciate how it ties everything together, but that is a lot of bloom.
It’s a little distracting. Are we going to be able to turn that down at some point, once we get our hands on the game?
It’s as easy as turning the emissive scalar down in our node system. Might have gone overkill a bit.
Hows the particle system thing going? I’m excited to eventually see this with some stars.
Flavien is currently making progress on it. Looking forward to Stars and Sun soon as well.
Another question: Can you please share screenshots as PNG rather than JPEG images?
(or maybe it’s Discourses’ fault)