Concept Realization and Development - NEW CONTENT!

Incredible shots! Can’t wait to see it in the KS demo. When i realize that Hellion on the first screenshot may easily dive and seamlessly land on this planet - i just…have strong feeling of the Universe without any boundaries.

UPD: What class Hellion is?

Corvette I believe.

Ah Inifinity, you keep reminding me why I love you so.

Good luck to all the team. Make that Kickstarter demo something that will cause the entire gaming world pay attention.

2 Likes

So much dev talk is nice to see, just missing IA for some reason.

Anyway great work, 2 months and counting for the KS, can’t wait :slight_smile:

Will there be a second faction ship? Or will it all be Green vs Purple?

Veeerrrry nice. A little niggle though. I can appreciate how it ties everything together, but that is a lot of bloom.

It’s a little distracting. Are we going to be able to turn that down at some point, once we get our hands on the game?

It’s as easy as turning the emissive scalar down in our node system. Might have gone overkill a bit.

Hows the particle system thing going? I’m excited to eventually see this with some stars.

Flavien is currently making progress on it. Looking forward to Stars and Sun soon as well.

1 Like

Another question: Can you please share screenshots as PNG rather than JPEG images?

(or maybe it’s Discourses’ fault)

It isn’t Discourse, we’ll start posting in PNGs going forward.

1 Like

I know very little about computer graphics and even less about lighting so I don’t know what emissive scalar means but turning it down sounds like reducing how much light something emits (and illuminates surrounding materials). Isn’t that completely different from camera bloom?

I’m looking at the cockpit in the 3rd image - it’s illuminating the empty space around it- there is nothing in space for it to illuminate. In my book that’s glow/camera bloom.

Personally I don’t want to be reminded that I’m on the other side of a camera/screen, I want to be immersed. I’d rather not have bloom or any other camera effects.

Please explain if I’ve misunderstood what the emmisive scalar is. Thanks.


Edit: Oops. Just seen the other thread. Please reply there if you feel that’s appropriate.

Artists only have control of the emissive intensity, we can’t manipulate the HDR bloom resultant effect by any other means. This is what Andre means when he says it’s as easy as changing a scalar value, because that is all we have access to.

Also the emissive texture itself does not bounce light off of nearby geometry, we’d have to add lights in engine to achieve that effect. Those images are strictly emissive strength + the engine bloom effect. [quote=“hrobertson, post:63, topic:191”]
Personally I don’t want to be reminded that I’m on the other side of a camera/screen, I want to be immersed. I’d rather not have bloom or any other camera effects.
[/quote]

We plan on bloom, lens flares, motion blur, etc

Lol.
Hang on, are you serious?

Yes, 10 characters

Will we be able to turn it off?

I don’t see why not, but I guess Keith or Flavien would have to confirm them as graphics options.

When I play games I generally leave all that stuff on except motion blur, I have never played with any motion blur that doesn’t annoy me…

1 Like

Your eye causes bloom as well, the type of camera + film (and your eye is actually a type of camera) affect how bloom looks. Our implementation is currently fairly generic for performance reasons. It’s too early to know exactly which graphics options can be turned on/off. A lot of that will depend on testing performance on various hardware configurations and how much having something on/off could affect the fairness of gameplay.

I know. But no in-engine bloom I’ve ever seen looks like real eye bloom, it just looks like stuff is glowing.
If you could implement realistic bloom then great, but I don’t think that’s likely so I’d rather have none at all. Just my preference.