Beta 0.4.3.0 Feedback Thread

I have mentioned it on discord but I reckon a good way of dealing with the fact that an explosion throws ships around a lot is to also disable some ship systems upon being hit by the shock wave. The higher the force the more systems go down. This gives some consequences without outright killing someone,

5 Likes

And make it random too, so you are never quite sure if you’ll lose something minor or critical.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

Although keep in mind, the capital ships are yet to receive their full loadout of weapons.

The system on the bomber works well enough, but a quick option to switch weapon types would be ideal

2 Likes

randomly getting disabled by shockwaves doesn’t really sound very fun.

What’d be good though is if getting hit by a shockwave had a more obvious sound effect, sometimes you just get thrown around with no audio and it feels like a bug.

1 Like

although i could not stay late enough to participate in event.
I tried today and here are some of my observations.

Interceptor

  • Such a pretty textures :heart_eyes:. Game is starting to look like a game now :slight_smile:

  • Missiles OMG inty got somewhat fragile. * Gulp * Do i suck so bad, or is it wee bit overdone ?
    Can we have more and i mean WAY more chaff to compensate.
    Not only are they one hit kill, they give a chase :hushed: which is great in one to one situation, creates interesting situations.
    But when you are being spammed with em you are dead in seconds.

  • did we have any aim assist which was nerfed ? Or did AI got smarter ? It seems to got a lot harder to land a shot on AI strike craft…or i am really getting old :older_man: and my reactions are getting this bad :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

  • Scanner gizmo looks like interesting idea. But i am conflicted on the scale. Perhaps with map and some ruler it would get better in time. Right now those 10 to power of N values aren’t of much use. Still i think its great something like this gets implemented. Inty will get more useful.
    Oh and can we please move it or server messages elsewhere. They are constantly obstructing the scanner.

Sounds

  • i don’t think i encountered any of those sound issues from previous patch. :+1:

  • doppler shift sounds great, it adds lot of ā€œatmosphereā€ to the space :rofl:
    but i think either the volume level or doppler shift is bit strong(or both). This is noticable especially when passing by big ship. It starts and vanishes too early and pitch shift is really sudden. So the resulting sound is just these short barks.
    Its hard to explain in english, imagine it that what we have now is the sound is getting from C to C (whole octave) in 1 second. and then backwards also 1 second.
    What i am suggesting would sound like half of the octave only to F and back to C and in the span of 4 seconds for instance. It is just example not values i am suggesting, hopefully you understand what i mean.

Misc - I always forget to mention few of these things

  • Hud color blue is really hard to see against planet background.
    When i am on topic of colors, i would like to suggest lead target indicators to have color of a weapon they correspond to. (blueish for energy, orange yellow for projectiles weapons.) Right now it seems like orange is for energy white for guns.

  • ā€œpov hatsā€ aren’t and never were bindable. (not the case for various rockers - they are considered as button press which is ok)

example - hat in red, rocker to the left of it

http://i.imgur.com/phJV6mN.jpg

  • I BEG THEE :pray: remove the warning about binding conflicts or missing keys window during game loading.
    I think everyone knows since this window pops up when you are saving up those controls.
    Why ? Because ANY setting that is done in AMD gpu settings is applied ONLY in fullscreen. And as soon as this window pops up game jumps to borderless. Alt + enter doesn’t work on IB too well you have to manually go to task manager force it to minimize and then maximize.
    It is nothing major just bit annoying :sweat_smile:

  • This is minor thing which might proove useful in future. External view camera - could it be please disconnected from headtracking (head look axis). It is angularly limited in same way as cockpit view.
    I think something basic like mouse freely controls camera rotation around the ship in external view. Just like in other flight sims. Its hard to appreciate fancy models. + addition for something like flyby camera would be great too.

  • Hiccups / HDD/ Memory issue / LAGs
    I tried GPUz no change, same values. Half empty Vram even on Extreme. Sys Ram is available as well.
    But it was HDD 100% from performance monitor i watched and there were spikes at those times.
    So problem solved…i guess.
    Not too often but sill there on occasion. Guess there are assets that aren’t preloaded.

ssd rant i just have to, IGNORE

In general i am noticing plenty of game devs utilize SSDs nowdays.
And i will have to accept the fact that work of Ram (which can do the same, like 10 times faster) is offloaded to ssd/hdd. :roll_eyes: This is in my opinion ā€œunsmartā€. Instead of just raising the ā€œstandardā€ RAM size, we are replacing it with inferior technology that even has limited lifetime cycle. :man_facepalming:
But everyone is doing it why should you be different.

1 Like

To expand on the chat from in-game earlier today, missiles are a bit derpy this patch. They don’t seem to be doing the same delay after launch thing they were the previous patch, countermeasures aren’t working reliably, most of my deaths lately have been like this. Get incoming missile warning from a player or npc at 1-2km away, launch chaff, dead before there’s time to do anything from full health. Kills with guns can be about as quick but that takes getting really close, like you need to be at 500m or less and have low relative velocity which is hard, getting to 1.5km high relative velocity is easy. I’ve been making use of this strategy, just stagger fire a few missiles from the right range and there’s not much a target can do atm, it’s a very reliable kill.

1 Like

Countermeasures are reliably doing the delay (1 second IIRC) but missiles aren’t delaying I think.

I don’t remember changing anything on missiles or chaffs recently, but it’s possible something caused their behavior to change indirectly.

Can you elaborate on where you think the delays aren’t working ? Do you think it’s an issue with the missiles or the chaffs ?

Looking at the video, in both cases you pressed chaff the moment the missile was about to reach you. There’s a delay of one second with chaff activation, and it seems to me it was already too late, the missile was already on you.

Edit: I increased missiles thrust / accelerations quite a bit in the last patch, so maybe everything is functionning correctly, but the activation timings are more difficult. I can look into rebalancing them.

Speaking of tactics, I’ve started to making use of a new one recently, not sure if anybody’s been using it so far. It works well for defense.

  1. Wait in a station that the enemy hasn’t scouted yet.
  2. Observe HUD to see enemies in warp, trying to scan / locate the station. Their energy emission will be hundreds of Km.
  3. Keep an eye on the target, power ship down to cut energy emissions down to a bare 5 Km.
  4. See target warp out and starting to scan or attack the station, 10 Km away from you. Hasn’t detected you.
  5. Power on, overcharge engines and fire missiles on target while he’s busy scanning or destroying some defense towers.

Worked twice on Playbenni yesterday iirc :wink:

7 Likes

Missiles are supposed to have an activation delay of a few seconds though and that seemed to be working the patch after it was implemented. Now, the moment you see the warning they are already about to kill you.

Is it possible the missile warning isn’t displaying during the missile activation timer? If so, could the warning display even during that timer?

Yeah, I’ll be looking into that, it’s the most probable culprit as I modified it a bit for mines.

I really like the bounty system, it is now possible to earn 1000 credits only defending a base with a bomber.
The mine icon is too big especially when targetted. It should be an outline like the rest.
screenshot15
BTW, I got an ā€œincoming mineā€ message on my bomber. Aren’t they supposed to target only capitals?
NPC destroyers are dropping mines all over the place above bases, I think that’s not a good strategy for the defenders…
Subcaps are too slow and unmaneuverable to my taste.
I like the warp changes on planets, it’s much quicker to move around.

1 Like

@mattk50 I found and fixed the bug related to missiles. The alert message was indeed not showing until the missile had activated. I also balanced the missile and interceptor stats so that the interceptor could take a direct hit and at least survive, even if heavily damaged. Chaffs have a shorter activation time, so that you can be more reactive ( 1s to 0.5s ), and finally missiles take 1.5s to activate now ( from 1s ). This should help with random missiles deaths.

2 Likes

Not sure if right thread for my issue: I have less than 2GB space available on drive C: and a lot on D:
I’ve installed launcher on drive D: but when I’m attempting to install client, launcher tells me: ā€œNot enough disk space available. 8.37gb are needed for the installation but only …(Free space on C:)gb bytes are free.ā€
How to make launcher to install on drive D: ?
Thanks.

Even though you’re trying to install on your D:, the game uses the temp folder to uncompress the files, and I assume it’s still the Windows default on C. So the short answer is, there is no way to install the game without at least 10 GB of your C. Although it might help if you changed the Windows temp folder setting to point to your D drive.

Nah, launcher not using TEMP folders and TEMP environment variables for storing install data at all, instead it uses AppData\Local\INovaeInstallerRegistry. Moreover, what’s really strange, is that it uses TEMP directory to unpack all the data before copying to the destination install directory. I’m not sure what’s coder is trying to achieve with all that strange install logic but it makes the game almost impossible to install as it requires more than 10GB on C:
Kinda stupid

P.S. Launcher eats some space somewhere on C: in addition to INovaeInstallerRegistry (and not in System’s or user’s temp directories) and what’s funny is that I can’t find where just to attempt to reinstall again…

probably the ā€œInovaeRegistryā€ in program files, there should be a second one there.

Nope, not this one. Before the first attempt to install I have exactly 9GB of free space on C:, after the first failed install attempt I’ve removed INovaeInstallerRegistry from AppData, all data from TMP and now I have 8GB free space on C:
Mysterious :slight_smile:

Process Monitor has done a great job for me. Launcher ignores TMP variables, installer respects these environment variables so I’ve finally finished successful install. What’s really stupid is that installer/launcher leaves all of the distrib files on disk C: after install.
I’m not the one who blames beta products but such space wastage is not user friendly at all.

Wow! After the first game launch free space issue is gone! Launcher finally decided to delete everything and now I’ve even got my lost 1GB back! :smile:
Wonderful and mysterious as the game itself. I’ve attempted to suicide by star but just flown through :crazy_face: