Beta 0.4.2.0 Feedback Thread

Strange i have it set to High.
got 16Gb sys, 8Gb Vram.
I will check up on ram usage and come back to you.

You guys did added new textures for ships lately so there would be correlation.
Interesting

So a couple observations from the play session last night. Firstly love the new config on the bomber, it’s great. I know some like the shotgun but I can’t stand it.

Secondly, now that there are way more turreted weapons out there, it would be nice if there was some form of counter to those turrets. Maybe it’s just straight countermeasures (need more countermeasures if so per ship). I feel like the Corvette is tough to approach with it’s 360 degree firing arc, and the Cap ships as well. Inty can dodge them, but the Corvette itself really just has to tank any incoming damage from larger cap ships.

Thirdly, and probably the most important for me personally (as I fly with assist off) is some additional vector indications. Easy fix to start would be to give the velocity indicator a negative value when going in reverse. Honestly that would be enough short term. Long term @INovaeFlavien you stated it’s planned for the radar globe I believe so we should be good once that is there.

Otherwise had a ton of fun playing last night, it’s shaping up to be a pretty cool game :smiley:
Lastly I would say that for those of us using stick (or dual stick in my case), the contextual menu setup is a pita. I can’t easily swap between weapons on the bomber, or more importantly easily select torps. I have to take my hands off the stick to do it.

IIRC you can assign a custom key for each weapon group.

1 Like

Good to know! I noticed them in the bindings, but what meant I didn’t know. How do you know what weapon group is what? I honestly only need to bind the missile / torp and machine gun / shotgun on the bomber. The corvette I just select all groups before leaving the hangar so it isn’t as bad.

One other thing I noticed was on the bomber / corvette I could have used a rotational counter thrust mode sans counter thrust (like rotations on ED with FA off). I know Starfighter Inc. has the assist off toggle for translation and for rotations (2 separate controls).

Would actually make larger ship piloting more intuative IMO. I would likely use it on all of them, I think dual stick or FA off converts from ED would like the feature too. Any chance we could get a toggle for that as well at some point?

On the topic of weapon groups, could they all be enabled by default on corvettes and up?

2 Likes

Went to test it. And encountered few things i forget to report. so its all in there.
If something is hard to understand i can explain more
Its just hastily edited together, ignore the typos. (dont want to wait another half hour to render it again.)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_3Cr5TSmlZyfQjTUErDxV1nLkbBSdHsA
Conclusion is i don’t think this is RAM.
It ought to be connection. Can you please tell me server ip so i can ping it just to test. ?

1 Like

Thanks for the video DirkLarien, it helps a lot. And some of the bugs are a first, never encountered them before ( especially the stuck strafe key :wink: ).

This isn’t network lag; again, if you had network lag, the framerate wouldn’t hiccup. It’d still render at your normal framerate, but ships would be stuttering or jumping around. This is definitely a streaming / video-ram issue. The reason the red lag icon appears on the bottom-left is a consequence of the hiccup, not the cause.

I noticed in your report that the game does not use more than 6 GB and you have 12. What kind of video card is that ? Is it a dual-card, SLI or something ? That would explain it. In a dual gpu config, each gpu gets half of the video ram. So while the total is 12, each can only use 6, so the game only really has 6 to work with. Yeah I know, it’s misleading :slight_smile: but your gpu cannot use 12 GB of video memory.

If you do not have a dual gpu config ( TitanX maybe ? ) then it should be able to use the whole 12 GB, and if you’re in High or Extreme, everything’s cached, so there should be no hiccups/slowdowns at all. If this is the case, it might get tricky to debug the problem. Maybe some kind of multithreading contention or other subtle issue. We’ll have to investigate.

I had a lot of the same issues on my system today, so I’ll record longer tests tomorrow. My hickups where not as severe in duration, but they did seem to appear at the same locations and under the same circumstances.

This one happened to me yesterday as well, spawned in a bomber, strafe left stuck.

it is just single R9 390 with 8gb of VRAM but game uses only 2gigs (lower left graph.)
will test with different settings.

Ah sorry for the confusion. So yeah, that isn’t possible, the game uses far more than 2 GB of vram. What is the tool you are using ? Can you try again with gpu-z ?

I too thought these hiccups were caused by the network, so I didn’t bother lowering my settings.
It mostly happened when approaching land bases and was usually manageable but sometimes caused CTDs with “connection lost” message.
I don’t remember seeing it since I switched quality to high.

1 Like

I’m just sitting over here quietly wondering

What hiccups, what lag?

Outside of the server DYING everything seems to be running perfectly on my end. R I P.

1 Like

I do have these hicups too playing on medium, they usually happen when approaching something like a planet at high velocity, Got 16 gb of ram and 8 gb rx 480 here.
CPU is r7 1700

1 Like

Yes, that’s normal on medium, as I explained above. The installations assets aren’t pre-loaded, so when you enter their range it’ll take some time to load them in.

1 Like

I have them on extreme, overall performance is awesome, even at 4K. (GTX1080TI)

It’s just a split second for me, but there is a definite freeze when approaching space stations, land bases and factories. (in Warp).

Just before the geometry becomes visible. Maybe an LOD thing? @INovaeFlavien

1 Like

Galia: occlusion is not detected at this stage. I guess this part is above the base sphere horizon.
screenshot0

Edit: I like to listen to other stuff while playing and the destroyer guns are too loud for that. More sound level settings would be helpful.