Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

Allright. So I almost decided to not make any new drawing because I just came home and didn’t feel like I’d have enough time, but then decided to try one more sketch using this one as underlayer:

I’m quite happy with the result :smile:

Yes there are some perspective issues :stuck_out_tongue:

Tomorrow I can scan it in and upload a cleaner picture and in higher definition. I’m also very tempted to edit it in PhotoShop and add color etc., and I should add more views, but I really don’t have time until next week. So I’ll consider just this linedrawing to be my final entry.

I suddenly noticed a GIF made by Google Plus based on a picture I made earlier :smiley: If you click on it you can see the animation:

3 Likes

Great looking new detail there :smiley:

Sounds like a good idea Lucas.

Only got these little guys done today. Well there good enough I suppose.

3 Likes

Great :smiley: Any final render images? And we will also wait for Wybo to post his final scanned images.

After that… the vote begins.

OK so here’s my final entry:

I couldn’t resist PhotoShopping it :wink: I’m still not sure about the color scheme.

I think it would be good if all contestants supplied 1 image to be shown in the opening post.

9 Likes

Fantastic :smiley: Ok I guess we will close the competition now.

Challenge 1 - Centaurus Destroyer - Voting Opened

The voting is now open. Everyone in the forums can participate.

Contestants:

1. Wybo with his Deimos Class Destroyer
2. UniversalPainKiller with his Tzedakah Class Destroyer
3. LucasFIN with his Eternal Harmony Class Destroyer

It’s one vote per forum member. Make a post where you give the name of the contestant/ship you vote and a brief explanation why you ended up choosing that particular concept. Some words for those you didn’t choose will also be appreciated. Even criticism is appreciated since we are artists who are constantly striving to better ourselves :wink:

Voting will close next Sunday (21st of December).

2 Likes

I am voting for:

Universalpainkiller’s Tzedakah Class Destroyer.

A stunningly complex ship with a lot of interesting shapes to entertain the eye. It seems you ended up modeling the whole ship in the end after all :smiley:

The ship has some characteristics of the centaurus style IMO but I think it is somewhat lacking the famous centauran flow of shapes in a macro level (many individual shapes do flow nicely). I’m also guessing those very dominant wing shapes would be a big no in the infinity universe. But since following the traditional style guides was not demanded here I think it doesn’t matter.

Some criticism for the cockpit-like bridges. They make the ship look a bit smaller than described (455 m?). They also seem a bit vulnerable, although I recall someone mentioning that glass like materials were as though as armor in the Infinity universe. The detail I’m disliking the most are probably those organic back winglets with guns. I think they look a bit alien like.

All in all I think the ship is fantastic. It is not the most classical looking Centaurus ship so far but I think it is certainly one of the most interesting looking ships we have seen :smiley:

I’m also very pleased that Wybo got his concept ready for the competition. Really liking your style! Reminds me of the style INovaeJan/Stannum uses. Bonus points for you for making a mostly hand drawn concept. The sharp corners on the front eat away the centauran feel a little but otherwise it has some “centaurusness” in it :). I’m almost getting an industrial feel out of it. Edit: the greeble is just fantastic!

1 Like

I am voting for:

##Wybo’s Deimos Class Destroyer

Even though Lucas work is Top Notch as always :slight_smile: I had to go with Wybos Destroyer.

This shape is fun, sleek and still aggressive. Cutting trough space in a mechanized deadly way. The greeble also looks nice and the way the shapes interact isn’t as thought out like in other designs which brings in these interesting half corners. Most Centaurus ships I saw in the past just sloped over those corners but you ether went to greeble or left it intersected. Nice work!

Only downside is that the back didn’t get enough attentions as it seems. But that’s ok as everyone was struggling for time.

1 Like

I didn’t realize at first that the theme was to be a destroyer, so the ships should feel large. I really like the design as a merchant type ship that would land on planets and ferry goods around. It looks more akin to a freighter than a ship of war which isn’t a bad thing. Surprise can be a good thing on the battlefield :stuck_out_tongue: Looking back on it with a destroyer classed ship in mind I do like it with that role as well.

I really like Universal Painki’s design. It reminds me of a ship that would come from the Gungans, thought hopefully not flown by Jar Jar. Although I’m not sure if the ship should look more look more like a submarine than a spacecraft. They are indeed similar, and I do like my wingybits. It is overall very sleek and looks very deadly.

Lucas, Your ship really reminds me of the Heart of Gold and it looks the most destroyeresque out of all 3 submissions. It also conveys the size of being half a kilometer in length the best as well. The other submissions feel small in comparison. Your ship follows the form of the centaurs the best imo.

I’m voting for Wybo’s Diemost class Destroyer. I chose mostly based off of it looking like a spacecraft of war really look like. Boxy and fitting to form to consolidate armor in the places you need it. I like the folds on the bow too, and as I said before, in the postwar the diemost could easily be refitted into a freighter :smiley:

1 Like

This contest was a great way to get me motivated to do something.

My vote is

Lucas Eternal Harmony Class Destroyer

***. ‘Lucas Destroyer’ is a top notch example of Classic Infinity Centaurus design. It has a futuristic, believable and plausible appearance. Front appears as though it could clear a path through any mob. My favorite part is the ‘THOR’ like rear side extensions with guns riding on top. I might add a bit more elements to increase its already large appearance.

I like Wybo’s design very much. Tuff looking. Good Balance between solid and mechanical, large vs. small elements. Would be great to see opposite perspective view. This seemed the Most believable design of the 3. I don’t know why but I envision the future of space being filled with of this style.

I certainly bit off a lot more then I expected when trying to model a complex design. Always scared to apply materials and texture when I am not certain about the Model being good enough first. I have spent a lot of time this last year texturing complex stuff. Shouldn’t be to difficult this time around to finish this Project.

2 Likes

Got me inspired as well :smiley: And hopefully it isn’t the last one.

Edit: By the way. Let’s bold or otherwise highlight our votes so that the counting will be easier later.

Yeah this contest was very motivational, and it was the first time for me to draw all the linework on paper and only do color etc. in PhotoShop (simply because of time constraints ;))

Thanks! His style is actually a big inspiration to me, and I happen to do the same study (Industrial Design at the Technical University in Delft) and use the same materials :smile:

Anyway, my vote goes to

LucasFIN’s Eternal Harmony Class Destroyer

Firstly, it’s fits the ‘Centauran destroyer’ description best. It’s definitely Centauran looking with all the curving armor and dark exposed greeble, and it looks dangerous and very capable of destroying things :wink: It’s also a very complete submission with 2 sideviews and a perspective view, though an underside perspective view is missing. I’m really impressed how all details are accurately present on all views. The windows make the size of the ship clear, but I think the greeble could have been more detailed to help read the size. I like how even the name is Centauran btw :wink:

I do think the part behind the front turrets is too thin. In combination with the roundness of the front part it creates some sort of ‘curl’. I think the sideview has a very cool silhouette, but in the other views the outline is a bit too clean for my taste. The ship is sometimes quite organic with armor flowing from one curve to the next. I prefer a bit more geometrical shapes plus more exposed greeble, but that might take it away from the Centauran look to much.

I was very impressed by Universalpainkiller’s Tsedakah Destroyer. I’m not sure it counts as concept art being a 3D model, but the speed in which the ship was created and modified was very impressive. The reason that I didn’t vote for this ship was that I don’t like airplane wings on spaceships, and this concept has a lot of them :wink: I think the overall shape is a bit too complex, while it lacks greeble and cuts in armor. I really like the amount of detail and attention to features such as turrets and a hangar (I forgot the hangar completely :P)

1 Like
  1. Wybo with his Deimos Class Destroyer

With Lucasfin’s a close second.

My reason for Deimos concept is that I feel it captures the feel of the Centauraus style fairly well (albeit not perfectly), without pushing the egg, oval theme too far. further I like the use of smooth / soft shelled surfaces mixed in with good use of industrial greeble to brake up the form a bit. I would have liked to see some incorporation of HP fixtures on the side and possibly a small hangar bay entrance though unsure what exact size it is.

1 Like

My very subjective vote goes to

This was a close call.

Lucas Eternal Harmony is the closest to Centauran design, which is a plus for me - I love the Centauran design (the Orca is still one of my favourite SF design ever). And it is a well-done ship that I could see ducking it out with SFC warplates or Deltan space knives with ludicrous turret fire.
The only problem I have with it is the thin point between the front and the middle parts. It makes the ship look a bit fragile and unbalanced, and doesn’t quite looks right to me.
Also, simultaneous points down (a few) and up (quite more) for the title. It’s over-pretentious and unsubtle - exactly how I imagine some Centauran builders naming their destroyer. Or it is violently ironic, something I can imagine a few Centauran doing for the fun of running over (but not crossing) the yellow line. Probably both :smile:

Wybo’s Deimos looks great. IT feels more industrial than military to me, something that actually seems quite difficult to pull off with Centauran design. It could also be an earlier design, a mean little beast from before the Centauran got the hand at making those sleek, beautiful machines of war we know and love.
And the artwork itself is the right mix between hand-drawn and Photoshop-improved IMHO.

Universalpainkiller’s Tzedakah is actually the less Infinity-looking ship with all those wings AFAICT, which should be a slight point down for me (again, I love Infinity’s Centauran style). It is also great-looking death-dealer and still has that slickness that characterise the Centauran ships.
And for some reason, when seeing it, I thought about a smaller (because of the bridges), older design meant for dual atmospheric and space duty.
I imagined it being a ship from the end of the Endless War (my nickname to the SFC independence war), when the Centauran are finally rising out of their Harmony-favoured reserve, and start what would have been unthinkable a mere century ago - an expeditionary army. I imagined it being the silhouette heralding a new era, the spectre of what shall end not only the war, but the last, faint hope of escaping the spiral of madness and destruction before it reaches its ultimate conclusion.
(I really need to take time and write that down at some point. I promise, it makes sense in context!)
Because as far as silhouettes heralding endless night and all that, it’s got a pretty nice one.

So I’m not really voting on the quality of the ships, the three of them look pretty great to me; it’s simply an out-of-nowhere gut feeling in favour of UPK’s one :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, my motivation needs to be introduced to some productivity…

I’m going to have to cast my vote for:

LucasFIN’s Eternal Harmony Class Destroyer

Lucas nailed the quintessential Centauran design on the head and managed to give it a bit of style above and beyond the usual egg shape. A bit of variety in the Centauran ships will go a long way towards making them interesting. Elegance would be the key concept for me when it comes to Centauran, but it doesn’t have to be 100% egg all the time :wink:

That being said, I think Wybo’s is a great departure from the standard style, but I just would have preferred it to be a little bit more curved and smoother than it is right now. It feels more Deltan with a touch of Star Fold thrown in, as opposed to Centauran with a touch of Deltan. I’d still fly it though :smiley:

Universalpainkiller’s is extremely well done and I’m thoroughly jealous of his skill at going from concept to model in as little time as he did. However, his concept is too “winged” for a destroyer in my opinion. Had this been the design for a frigate or corvette, I would have jumped on it. I might be a little biased, though, from previous design philosophies wherein the largest trans-atmospheric ship capable of landing was a frigate (destroyers were required to have a hangar of some type). Still awesome though :smile:

All around, good job guys!!!

2 Likes

I am voting for:

While the Tzedakah does not even try to be consistent with Infinity lore (it’s a capital ship with wings for crying out loud) it does seem internally consistent with a very large ship designed to also function in an atmosphere. Visible VTOL engines, air intakes, wings that double as an external flight deck, provide cover for it, and serve as weapon mounting points (with enough room for automated reload and service access).

The negative: the angle of the images make the engines seem unbalanced, the firepower seems heavily focused towards the front with a total of 3 visible turrets (each presumably mirrored on the far side) likely to have an angle on a target below and behind the ship (atmospheric capital ships, fine; capital ships that needs to turn to shoot, less so), and the rearmost downward-pointing wings seem entirely superfluous - which given that internal consistency is what wins my vote is a significant issue.

With regards to the other two submissions, the Deimos is by far the most sensible with what seems like VLS (well, PtPAoPLS) missiles, minimal surface area, and what surface area there is angled to better deflect incoming fire while approaching a larger hostile ship (which probably wont take long with those engines). It just looks more like a modern-day tank with the threads taken off than a capital ship.

Finally the Eternal Harmony: seemingly balanced engines, unique design elements that would let you recognize it by the time it’s 10 pixels long, 360º firing angle, even visible directional thrust ports, everything I’d want in a large spaceship except… the oh-so-thin neck. Having an obvious weakpoint like that is great in a game, certainly, but just does not fulfil my desire for internal consistency.

Now, with regards to the next competition, I don’t have a creative bone in my body (or if I do it’s best expressed through code), but what I’d personally like to see is these (or other) models fully textured. I mean, I realise that the current look is probably exactly what they’d be like coming out of a Centauran shipyard, but they’re warships, right?

Obviously, if there aren’t two people making textures there’s little point in having a competition about it, but I figured I’d mention it in case no one else has an opinion on what to do next.

I’d also like to see that. If we find enough modelers/texture artists to do them. :slight_smile:

That thin neck seems to be the most disliked point in my ship. Perhaps I will fix it if these concepts ever get in the modeling phase.

Score at the moment:

Wybo with his Deimos Class Destroyer — 3
UniversalPainKiller with his Tzedakah Class Destroyer — 3
LucasFIN with his Eternal Harmony Class Destroyer — 3

So according to my calculations it’s tied. If you haven’t voted yet make sure you do so before next sunday! :wink:

Well, here I was going to cast my humble vote, and here I am, the tie breaker. Gulp. :anguished:

Hmmmm… All the designs are well done. I’m going to have to think about this one. As a finished concept I believe Lucas has the best. However, I really like Wybo’s concept. Just as Andre said, just a few more details to really get the scale down, i.e. engines, fighter bay entrance, etc. But after looking at it, I would have to say that it is my favorite shape of the three.

Therefore, my vote goes to…

Wybo’s Deimos Class Destroyer

Excellent shape, captures a certain elegance and aggression which I admire. It so desperately deserves a few more details to get it perfect, though.

I really don’t know if I am even remotely up to the challenge of modelling it, though. It’s been so long…

3 Likes