That “perfect example” was taken from a comment of a guy that has been here for less than a day, I really don’t think it’s representative of the community or that it should be taken with so much weight. I’m pretty sure that the community is generally very happy and interested in comments made by the devs.
@INovaeFlavien, it sounds complicated and complex, which means that the implementation might take a while, consider the inevitable bugs and depending on their severity you might be looking at a 3 month coding period.
Are you at least considering running this in parallel with the KS?
I understand deferred lighting (a little bit) ! In fact, it’s the graphics stuff which most interests me and I’d love to hear about any special lighting techniques you guys are implementing in the engine. Just look at how much more active this thread has become now that you guys [the developers] are posting in it! Now that you are sharing information, people are readily joining in on the conversation.
I am thinking the HypePlane is struggling for enough lift to get off the ground right now. Should we consider making bigger wings or more thrust?
For myself, as I stated way back near the beginning, this is still a project I can get excited about and check back here very regularly in eternal hope. I really do hope though that the team don’t fall into the trap of trying to keep up with the TechnologyTrain (which is going faster than them)!
I-Novae: as long as you are happy you can make the game you always dreamed of, sod the “latest developments” or “demands from the fans”. Go ahead. Make it real. It’s how Infinity began - long may it continue. -Fanfare of motivational music-
This.
The majority of the community understands the current situation and is remaining quiet - everything has already been said.
When new people such as asimo pop up, a few of us will reply and straighten things out. - That is certainly not a job for a developer.
I’ve been following this game for 7 years. Yet, this is probably my first comment.
As to how you are supposed to keep your community involved while making a game engine with procedural generation (or whatever kind of generation or whatever kind of engine).
How you are supposed to keep people hyped up and interested, even if its kinda “tech talk”.
How you are supposed to show tool by tool what you are making.
I’ve been visiting that page on a daily basis for 2 years now. Its on my morning list of 10 websites to visit. This website I’ve been visiting for many years, and nothing has changed. I visit it once every few months to see that nothing has changed.
Here you can see a video that hasnt been viewed much, but they go on regular basis and interest everyone. Voxel Farm: Destruction - YouTube
Hear hear !
I’m no long-time lurker, but you (dev-team) certainly have my support. Then again, that idea of having a main (post-it ?) thread containing only the devs comments / news would be nice.
Would be nice to have some “official” thread here in the forums too, instead of having most dev posts buried in threads like this one. Not to mention that Twitter doesn’t really foster meaningful discussion with its 140 char limit.
They never planned to give the info out that was given out in those replies. From what I’ve read that’s also what most of you criticised.
It’s damage control. Not in the bad sense. They are concentrated to make the Kickstarter happen and, as they voiced, just don’t know what to talk about. That happens when you are so deep into the project. Every step is cut into minuscule parts and if written about it, persons that know a big chunk of the inner workings of the project may feel it isn’t made justice or incomprehensible by reader. That’s one of the biggest reasons there are community managers and PR guys around. They do stand a little further from the development and can aid.
Look, as said in the past. They are at a time before the kickstarter, starving for stuff to show and tell. All other projects hadn’t a big media presence before too.
But I repeat what others said.
They should have and still should give regular updates on twitter or a thread here on the forums. They aren’t inactive but scattered which can be nice to have them talk about stuff on other threads but. I think those people who voiced their concerns in the past couple of dais still would have and would have still needed personal answers
We also need to accept what is written in a thread stays in a thread because I-Novae just doesn’t want to have to round up all they information they might have given out as answers to clear up confusion and stash them in a thread. Partly because they didn’t plan to give out that information in the first plan.
Their plan involves at the moment: Do the Video → Do the Kickstarter → Start PR around the Kickstarter
@I-Novae: Just give in a little and start training the one week one line thing. Maybe on the official I-Novae twitter something like this. There is always something to say. People just don’t believe that nothing is to say.
And for the people who want it on the forum. Maybe there’s a way to for a twitter → forum connection. I’ll look into it.
If nothing like that happens in a week or two maybe it’s a good idea if I start collecting the information and pull them together in a non discussion thread where others can also push found Information into.
I use to be hyped so hard of infinity because of what it was suppose to be, now their are games out that are going to be close to what everyone wanted from infinity.
Sorry, but no. I am one of everyone; that statement is your opinion. Neither Star Citizen (too shooter like due to instances) nor Elite (no seamless galaxy so far, no vast range of ship / station scales) have what I want from Infinity. That is why I am here after all…
Initially I came for the back story placed in a truly seamless universe; then I stayed on for the chance of providing a tiny part of the creation of fraction ships; now I remain for the community and the prospect of getting my hands on the game at some time. I want to explore, truly explore a single seamless universe with a range of possibilities. No game has captured my attention quite as good as Infinity up to this point.
While I would absolutely love to have the / any game sooner rather than later, I wouldn’t greatly care even if Inovae said they needed another 3 years for the kickstarter. Indeed, the longer they wait the more money I can throw at them…
And in addition to that, personally I am also looking at a multiplayer game that can recapture the dogfight feelings that the old ICP got right, but refined and in a proper game.
It is still to this day, by far, the best Newtonian space shooter I’ve ever experienced (Shattered Horizon, as a FPS, don’t count). In fact, the best period - I have a hard time coming back to non-Newtonian space shooters since then. When you taste the true freedom of a properly controlled Newtonian ship, there is nothing else quite like it.
While I originally came for the seamless Universe and stay for the planned MMO mechanics and the enormous potential the backstory hinted at, this is now the one thing I look forward the most in I:B. And so far, no one else seems willing or able to deliver this kind of gameplay.
I applaud you for sticking around, as it is what I have done, but I can tell you that Elite does have what you are looking for. The universe actually is seamless (and fully scaled). You can use supercruise to reach any star you see (which takes a couple of days) or you can fly there with you engines (which could take 500,000 years). Or you can just use your hyper drive to reach it in a few seconds . Also there will be seamless planetary landings.
I agree with you that there is something about Infinity which neither of those games has, but Elite will deliver what you want.
Sure Elite, StarCitizen and LimitTheory will be great games in the Future when they are completed.
Elite definetly will be played by me just for the mere polish.
But in the days of indies there isn’t just the CallOfDuties or Battlefields there are also dozens of others like Insurgency, CounterStrike or dozens more of free to play titles and all of them have more or less players/customers. (Taking the “Shooter” genre as an example)
The Spacegame genre only started to come back …
It will be…statements like that don’t help in any way. We know it’s very late. I’ve seen the final cut and should be coming as soon as Keith has time to post it, hopefully before end of week.