I had a good time Saturday.
We definitely need some tools for player organization. (Already mentioned) I was not on Discord and it was not hard to follow along on fleet movements. I heard the jump drive on the nearby ship spool up—neat! However, I played corvette and it was hard to tell who needed help. I.e. I can’t see anyone else’s health without individually targeting them and when Wargrim asked for assistance; it took time to figure out where he was. It was cumbersome to set the fleet destination—hit TAB, search for the system, mark on HUD. Please remove any instances of similar place names or give us the ability to sort and filter in the list.
Eve has some pretty good fleet management mechanics including fleet warp.
Other thoughts.
Bomber without bombs. (create bombs)
Interceptors are not that fast. (probably needs to be 750 m/s to match the name and make their ability to target missiles and torpedos better) I tried defending capitals against everything. It was slow and not effective.
I still feel most of the small models slide or skid when turning tightly. When I turn 180 degrees, I come to a stop, then accelerate in the opposite direction. Can we get a selectable contrail so I can see what the flight path is? It doesn’t have to be seen been anyone else.
You have a destroyer and cruiser, but no frigate or battleship. I think a lot more games that have capitals don’t have them fly as fighters. It’s visually appealing in this game but when you ignore the plane of the ecliptic, it invites a lot of control design issues and more importantly, gun placement. I like my powerful weapons on the spine for the best field of fire. I believe I would like ascend and descend better like Dreadnought. (what defines a cruiser or destroyer? Volume, energy production, length?) One solution could be to name the ship and let it go at that. That frees you from a well understood taxonomy.
I took a destroyer and cruiser for a spin yesterday. Full shields and I received multiple critical hits against my guns pretty fast. Not fun. Also, it was difficult to hit small stationary targets like those autoguns surrounding the station. Furthermore, those autoguns were not targetable. Furthermore, I also tend to lose awareness of what direction I’m travelling with capitals and have to look around to re-gain attitude awareness.
Match. Matches in other games have various limits (e.g. time, tickets, players) and I’m not seeing anything but a battle royale or king of the kill or death match with a station thrown in for good measure. I’m thinking the team (in relatively equal numbers) with the station will always lose as the attacker has an unlimited ability to bring in extra forces and the station can’t repair. The matches seem to have a time limit and a point bar up top, but I’m not seeing how it works. (please clarify details on webpage)
Distance.
We have the entirety of a solar system but the missile weapons are limited to around 10 km and kinetic weapons to a few km at best. If you’ve read David Weber’s Honor Harrington series, those missiles go millions of miles, accelerate at .83c and deliver death to anything around 25,000 km when detonated. That would be boring in this game but there are notions of capital ship warfare out there at great distances. World of Warships has greater ranges. (put up a weapons detail page—range, speed, damage, missile turning ability, how missiles work i.e. locking) Boxing matches and knife fights are great but please confirm this is the intended design, <20km? (put on webpage—"this game is about close range brawls at 10km” —expectation management)
HUD.
I re-loaded House of the Dying Sun. A recent and a darn good single player space shooter in under 500mb. It has an excellent HUD design philosophy—check it out. In combat mode, I’m not sure “T” working on friendly forces in close with hostiles is a good action. I flow between offensive and defensive actions and targeting isn’t there yet. My first improvement would be that I need “fast keys” for ship type and distance. “Inty close”, “new bomber”. I thought about a target list as in Eve, but that could get really long.
There is a really dark planet out there. Can you give it lighting storms on the dark side? I’m not saying I ran into it.
For ground facilities and navigation. How about the light of Luxor (Las Vegas hotel) as an option so I can tell where this ground point is? E.g. a visual ray of light emanating from the ground and beams into space. I still can’t tell if a point is in front or behind a planet.
To keep the pace of battle going; instead of re-spawning in station, can I take over like AI ship? And how about a check box that displays spawn stations that have a battle going on first? Or a de-select for ground stations as they take a few extra seconds longer to load?