Wallpaper - Give Us Your Best Shot! (Image Intensive)

Probably doesn’t help that that image was near the terminator line at sunset/sunrise. Going to need to get someone to help out measure those mountain’s altitude at some point. I have a feeling most are Everest + sized ^^

well it should be easy to measure unless the ship’s height meassuring shows the distance to the current land’s height and not the sea level. If it meassures sea lvl distance, then just go as high as the mountain peaks, or just land on one of them.

After doing a bit of working out based on constant speeds and side-on angles, Mountain size seems to be around 3000-5000m (from the base, as there’s no sea-level to compare with yet). So most mountains in the game are getting on towards everest-class.

Also doesn’t help that there’s a really sharp ‘snow line’ right now either. (Only seeing a small snow cap at the top of a mountain the size of everest is kinda silly. I think that’s what’s throwing the perception of scale a fair bit. I guess the planet’s a lot warmer?)

See what you mean about the atmosphere looking just a little bit anaemic from the ground, however.

1 Like

I was going to post just to say exactly the same thing. It’s a stunningly beautiful image.

Let’s take a minute here…

…and breathe.

7 Likes

As for the “everest” moutain height, I would argue that this depends on the planet size, planet’s age and the neighboring planets.

If we look at Mars, there’s a lot of high altitude mountains, the highest one being even higher than Everest because Mars is a bit smaller than Earth.
Erosion plays a lot as well on the moutain height: the “younger” Earth (talking about 2 billion years before) had supposedly quite a lot more “everest” sized moutains, if memory serves.

As for the immediate neighborhood, I guess orbiting around a giant gas planet does help a little bit increasing the total height.

1 Like

sorry for getting off topic there, should probably merge those mountain size/atmo thickness posts with this thread:

Here’s another screenshot to make up for it:

7 Likes

thanks for measuring the mountains, that helps to get an idea about the athmosphere.
I just want an earth like planet, just to see how close the engine is to the real thing, if i remember well, the kickstarter video had a earth-like athmosphere, i wanted to see pics about that place and see stuff like far distance rendering and such, cause like in a painting, when someone can make those things look good, it amazes me, and for me video games are pieces of art as well.

Screenshot being at sunset terminator will heavily push the sky towards blackness as there’s way less light to scatter, especially if he’s looking away from the sun side.

Rings shadows on the mountains.

http://imgur.com/4qkuMyz

9 Likes

One day though it will be :wink:

10 Likes

Uploading…

Some Elite: Dangerous players I know wanted to see what battlescape’s moons looked like without the atmosphere; so I turned it off in the config files for Aresthia and took these:


Hope you approve! :smiley:

15 Likes

If it’s not wanting to upload, try converting it to jpeg. For some reason the forums doesn’t always like png formatted pics.

i think i got eyegasm

1 Like

This game makes some great phone wallpapers.

11 Likes

I see you are a busy man :wink:

4 Likes

Here’s a few. :smiley:







12 Likes

Regarding posting on the SC forum. Does anyone have a simple CSS snippet that can be used on the SC forum for a spoiler hidden section or something. The ED forum has a spoiler tag which now comes in handy for new screen shot posts there - LINK. But the SC forum does not have such tags, its all CSS.

Does it not just use [spoiler][/spoiler]?

Also, even if a forum did allow you to inject CSS into the post, there’s no magic way to make a spoiler section using inline CSS.

Ah I see. Ok thanks for letting me know. No, on the SC forum its just CSS, no BBCode. The ED forum does have the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags. I was only recently made aware of them, so for lots of 4k screen shots etc its very useful now I know about it.