I sent you some parts and a few tanks to store stuff inside 
So, this is slightly mixed news:
The good new:
Yay resources! I used the parts Nos_Fi delivered to link up my base core to his storage/supply vessel. With this operational all we need is mining.
The bad news:
The base core exploded! When I linked it up to the storage vessel it fell halfway through the floor. I tried to get the kerbals out of there but they spawned beneath the ground and instantly died! Only Haycy Kerman survives :’(
Landing successful. New Kerbals arrived. Good night
So i had a little spare time this morning so I continued working on the Minimus Base
Everthing is connected now and the Connectors that were not needed anymore are now in the storage again.
I did notice something strange when I disassembled the connector that was the last one on the way to the former base core.
It’s root part was not the base part but one of the connectors. And the moment I disassembled it it sank into the ground this time without an explosion.
Speaking of explosions… I tried to install the recycling bin that I had in the storage.
While moving it around I hit one of the legs of our storage rocket. The bin and the leg exploded instantly.
So please don’t unlink the storage rocket. I think that link is what keeps it standing vertical.
We have to install a new leg to stabilize it I think.
PS: That workbench is filled with rocket parts. I think this should enable us to build small things on site 
PPS: There are a few updates for our mods out there. I think we should update again. Could result in less explosions 
@martindevans could you maybe create a separate thread about the KSP server, with all the server info and instructions in the opening post? It was quite tedious to find the posts that were actually about joining your guys.
Good idea. I’ve created a new thread specifically for discussing multiplayer related stuff (with instructions for joining in the first post).
There are a few updates for our mods out there. I think we should update again. Could result in less explosions
Done. Modpack is in the usual place.
Edit: I think a lot of the problems with the Minmus base may be caused by me not using landing gears. The base core which fell through the floor didn’t have them, and when I just loaded up the base the launch pad (also no landing gear) jumped up into the air and bounced around. I guess KSP has some special handling for stabilising landing gear in contact with the floor or something.
Got a question for you guys: I have just set up KSP again after a long while (I think the last time I played was the Science update). Had a couple of goes flinging myself into space to get the feel for it again. Now I want to start planning how to help out! I noticed you can’t see existing flights from the Tracking Station because they’re not synced. Is there a way around this? Or should I just get something in space so I can look from there?
Also, could someone give me a quick run-down on what you’ve got going in terms of resource collecting, building beyond home and bases on other bodies (none of which I have experienced before in KSP, other than the basic stuff way back when)!
I have the same bug, since no one else mentioned it I assumed it was just a local problem! Just toggling a category off and on in the tracking station seems to refresh the list for me.
Most of this stuff comes from the Extra Planetary Launchpads mod. This allows you to use launchpads (we have one on Minmus) to construct any rocket you have in your save list, so long as you have enough rocket parts. Rocket parts are made in a construction building manned by smart engineer kerbals (we have one of these on the surface of Minmus too). Rocket parts are made from metal, which is smelted from MetalOre.
The ore is where the story kind of falls apart. KSP has it’s own Ore system, which can be put into an ISRU to produce fuel. EPL does not seem to have any connection to the default resource system at all and instead has it’s own MetalOre. It’s kind of frustrating to have two types of ore to mine and process which is why I mentioned that I would like to install Simple Construction which allows you to refine KSP ore into Metal.
Longer term I want to get an orbital construction dock in orbit of Minmus, which I shall then use to build another complete orbital construction setup which I’ll send to Dres, or one of the moons of Jool (or maybe Sarnus, if the outer planets mod is ever updated).
I’m digging this thread out of the dusty mothballs, because I’m so damn excited by what I’ve just finished building!
![]()
Some of the features:
- Basic mining capabilities - slow but steady intake of ore
- Printing of most small to medium sized parts as needed (thanks to OSE Workshop mod)
- Large amount of fuel storage of every kind (trying to land those tanks… gah)
- Cool looking modules and flexi-tunnels to join it all together (from Kerbal Planetary Base Systems)
- Ship/rover construction thanks to Extraplanetary Launchpads mod!
The last one is the most important part of this base. It was the last bit I added, but everything was designed knowing that I would need to create rockets on-site. Now, I can launch longer-range missions from the Mun without all that nasty fiddling about in Kerbin’s high gravity and atmosphere! Yay! 
It’s taken me a good (if inconsistent) month of playing to put all of this together. Many faliures, crashes and breakages along the way - hence the 3D printing! It suddenly became a whole lot easier to fix and expand the base once I installed that workshop, despite the fact that it landed upside down!
…I should’ve recorded my 45min of attempts to flip the workship right way up… ye guds…
Is there anybody still playing this game? There is a new expansion out today: Breaking Ground
https://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/185250785639/kerbal-space-program-breaking-ground-expansion-is
I’ve been keeping an eye on it but not much.
I saw that it adds some cool science bits and pretty much incorporates the infernal robotics mods.
I heard that they essentially broke mods with an update or two ago but I’ll be honest I haven’t played in 2+ years at least.
Expansion looks cool though and I’m happy to see them still developing the game. I think KSP is one of the most wonderful introductions to space and will have an extremely beneficial effect on the future of getting people and future engineers interested!
I think the robotics in the new dlc is going to be enough to drag me back! For a while anyway. I was very happy when I discovered I was one of those lucky early adopters that get expansions for free! Just got to download it later, get rid of some now-pointless/broken mods… And build myself something awesome!
I’ve never been great at spaceplanes, so that is my ambition, using the robotics to help move wings and stuff! Maybe even VTOL…
Huh I didn’t know that was a thing - how do I check if that applies to me?
There must be a way, but I found out because of comments on forums saying pre-2013 purchases get dlc included. Then I checked my KSP on Steam and, sure enough, it had added Breaking Ground without me even realising!
Nice; I just checked steam and it had added breaking ground without me even realising! 
I bought KSP just a few months too late to get it. I think I got it in sept in 2013 and missed the april cutoff. Tragic! Oh well - enjoy your spoils friends 
SSTOs and VTOLs were my obsession in that game and I have plenty more old shots to share if you decide to get into it 
Can I offer some extremely outdated inspiration?
I must have it in another album but there are 2 tilt engines clipped inside the main body so it can vtol off jets too.
I’ve tended to over-engineer spaceplanes and be a bit too ambitious, so I’m trying to tighten up my designs. This was my first attempt, with space for 2 kerbals, small cargo and a dorsal docking hatch (plus the necessary RCS for orbital manoeuvres. It’s twitchy as hell with the yaw, thanks to the wide-spaced jet engines, but very stable.
It did fairly well at reaching a suborbital trajectory! I think I need to adjust the ratio of pure liquid fuel vs. oxidiser so the rockets run for longer. Either that or use those damned nuclear engines, but they’re huge!
I want to iterate on this design now and see if I can gradually improve it. A bit more lift and some adjusted fuel, and I reckon this can make orbit. Then it’s a case of adjusting until it can reach my LKO fueling station! It’s going to need some level of VTOL capability at some point so I can land horizontally on the Mun and Minmus. I would love to use servos for that! Then they can assist with horizontal flight too and add a bit of thrust.
Edit:
So the mk.3 version (using a bit more fuel and RAPIER engines) just achieved orbit. I mean, barely. Had to use RCS to finish the last few m/s! This spaceplane stuff is hard. 
Congrats dude! SSTOs are difficult beasts!
I was going to suggest using rapiers. They are a bit heavier than jets alone but they have slightly more oomph behind them on airbreathing mode can get you up to 1400-1500 m/s before switching to rocket mode(irrc the speeds correctly and they haven’t changed it).
A huge part of them is their flight profile as well. How are you flying it now? Also as another optimization you can see you have 1000 units of LF left.
You could probably reduce the original amount of LF on the ground by about 500-750 units and not only would you have enough propellant to circularize you could probably maneuver a bit
That’ll make you at least 500kg lighter on the ground which goes a long way during the acceleration phase.
Minimizing drag losses is huge for SSTOs so maximizing TWR helps as well as ensuring you have no open nodes. One trick that I’m not sure how well known is called the rapierspike. The rapier engine has a node on the end of it. One thing you can do is place a small nosecone facing backwards on that node and translate it into the engine a bit giving it a spike. This will further reduce the drag footprint your aircraft has and it looks kinda cool too.
Good luck fly safe 
Thanks for the kind words!
I definitely still have a lot to learn with that, but I have the basics in place! It blasts off nicely and climbs fast and smooth initially. I drop to gain more horizontal speed usually at about 11k+, up to about the 1,500m/s you mentioned. I tend to skirt as high as I can without losing the airflow because the heat at those speeds is brutal! I nearly lost an RCS thruster. 
It’s the last bit punching out of the atmosphere and into orbit I find tricky. Pitch up too much, and you lose all your speed/flip out of control and Jeb doesn’t get to go to space. Don’t pitch up enough and you waste a lot of fuel trying to fly near terminal velocity in the upper atmosphere! Tricky.
I’m tempted to see if the venerable MOAR BOOSTERS tradition might help… 
That’s generally what you want to do. The trick is to hit 1500m/s on a 20-30 degree ascent angle from the horizon as you’re passing 15-20km range so it shoots you out of the atmosphere. This is where low drag and high TWR comes in handy but becomes difficult as you increase the size and payload of the SSTO.
Keep practicing! Getting SSTOs to orbit is every bit flight profile as it is design and they both have to compliment each other.
Haha maybe but be careful - less is more with SSTOs which is something that always surprise me. I think I need more oomph so I add more engines and it makes it harder. I take away an engine and the tank I no longer need and it flies 10x better and is easier to get to orbit.
Try starting small and experiment!
A great example I have of less is more. I probably could have used a single rapier and no turbo jets but I wanted to switch it up plus I like the aesthetic.
PS does anyone know how to embed imgur albums these days? They sure do make it hard
Edit:
So you inspired me so I can give a couple of examples:
Starting small definitely makes it easy. This was a little hard to get off the ground but once it was I pretty much held 20 degrees pitch. I had 1400 m/s at ~18km/s with that pitch. Switched to rocket mode until 100km apo then circularized with about 400 m/s left. Handles like crap. In the second photo you can see the “rapierspike” as well.