I’ve kind of been holding back on answering this thread because I’m not sure there’s a good answer to this very tricky problem. Anything I could say could easily be taken as a promise or rise expectations, and frankly, we are walking on a thin line in terms of resources/schedule/budget at the moment ( see in that other thread how Keith answered about implementing volumetric clouds ). So take the following with a (big) grain of salt…
First of all, I think we should be hoping for the best but planning for the worst. That means that I agree that we’re potentially going to face serious server population issues unless we can get the hype machine rolling which I think is quite unlikely given we have no marketing budget.
Solo content is pretty much out of the question due to limited resources. If it wasn’t, it’d be my primary choice. Adding bots is probably the best idea IMO to populate the servers and provide large scale battles all the time, but implementing smart AI that can fly around space stations, asteroid fields and on planets is a challenge and I doubt we’ll have the time for anything but a very simplistic AI, if at all. It’s not an entirely lost cause though, because we’re going to need some minimal AI for haulers anyway, so extending that gameplay to AI combat ships might still be do-able. It’s a big unknown at the moment though. As for the rest of the content, adding exploration features would help a lot and we have some ideas, but again we’re very limited in terms of resources so whatever we do has to be done with simple / easy to produce assets.
Another idea is to scale the solar system setup procedurally based on the players population. If there aren’t enough players, the solar system will be smaller and distances closer. If there are hundreds of players, you’ll get the full scale one with matches potentially lasting days. This is relatively easy to implement.
I’m also pretty fond of the idea to give players tools to organize themselves both in space and time. Basically, something they can use to prepare a battle in advance ( and notify everybody ); ideally it’d even be tied to the website. Maybe a general commander feature where players are organized in a pyramidal hierarchy, and the players on top can assign strategical objectives to player squads. Again, whether this is possible or not will depend on how much resources left we have and if we can raise more money before the game is launched.
The amount of servers can also easily be scaled up or down, it is in fact one of the main reasons we’ve gone with Microsoft’s Azure. Spawning a new server is as easy as pressing a button. In the worst case, we could limit the game to a single, massive server instead of spreading the community on multiple servers.
Finally, I am thinking of adding simple persistency elements to the game to give an incentive to players to come back. Some kind of experience points or ranking, allowing players to “level-up” in some form of competitive ladder. I don’t think it’d be a main technical challenge to implement, or at least it sounds a lot easier to do than solo content and bots.
In the end we’re probably going to go with a combination of everything described above depending on what we can or cannot do in the remaining time.
But I know how PvPers think and most of them - not all and certainly not any of the PvPers here because why would you even be here if you didn’t care - are just not into real immersion outside the cockpit; probably another reason Battlescape hasn’t garnered the support of other games despite being a groundbreaking engine.
