This is so far from truth. If anything, beginning on the same starting line is the core principle of democracy. I won’t digress about capitalism, socialism and communism because that would take a whole new thread.
This being said, let me remind you that pay-to-win are not the best economic model, nor the most appealing. I’m absolutely against a p2w game and will not support anything that ressembles that.
Previous posters have made more vivid examples than the ones I currently have in mind.
The rationnal and logical distinction is as following: as long as the hardware meets the game’s requirement, players have almost the same starting point (provided the line of sight is not too short because of RAM, culling good enough, etc.).
Probably the best comparaison with a p2w game would be school education. Let’s suppose there is no public schools and everyone’s got to pay for private schools. Rich kids will get the best education, while the poorest one can’t get anything even if he’s 20 times smartest than the rich kid. The rich kid may go anywhere just because he has bought diploma, though he’s dumb as shit, and the poor will have to grind his daily life, watching the rich one ask to vote for him.
Now suppose there’s no private schools and only public schools. Of course, the rich kid can always buy tons of books (hardware in your case) and try to learn… but the smartest kid will also have his chance to get the diploma, because there was no huge entry fee.
The same goes for gaming. If I’m a fresh newbie that gets constantly destroyed by a fat cat just because he bought that 100$ ship that one-shots beginner ships, I won’t get any fun out of it. Nor will I buy that 100$ ship.
The example is extreme but is here to best illustrate my explanation. Not every paid functionnality are game breaking, but some hurt enough to make players go away. This is up to the devs to decide if and what can be paid.
Don’t import all the real-life things in the game. It is already cruel as it is.
I think @INovaeKeith introduction post sums up pretty much many of the vanity fair aspects. Special skins for ships? Check. Special effects for weapons? Check. Hell, you can even get your own billboard if you can afford it 
In another thread also talking about this, some people suggested badges or special color for in-game tchat. Could also be the ability to fire flares that look like fireworks. Or a special hologram with a spacial insignia (don’t really know how difficult to implement those would be though).