Rough draft #2 of our Kickstarter reward tiers

I haven’t been following that straight the last year but I’m still waiting and have some catching up to do.
Do we already have a new time frame for the KS launch?
I’d have to put some money aside to pledge my 100~250$

1 Like

Yes. It’s changed from “when it’s ready” to “very soon”.

9 Likes

I love soon™ish dates <3
I will just have to keep an eye on the forums then. I did start to slack a bit with the years :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Keith updated his twitter saying they are upgrading the forums and website in prep for the KS

3 Likes

Let’s hope that those upgrades won’t be enough. :wink:

I was away for the weekend but now that I’m back and have read the thread I’d like to offer my feedback.

I think it looks good.
After initially suggesting them, I agree regarding the exclusion of multi-packs. If someone wants to get their friends involved, they can encourage them to pledge too.


I completely agree on both points.
Using ‘limited edition’ instead of ‘custom’ for the $100 tier would seem to make sense.


Regarding showing samples, I agree and mentioned this in the other thread:

I think this would seriously improve the number of people upping their pledge to these levels.

2 Likes

I’m fairly agnostic on the topic, but what’s the downside to multi-packs? Why NOT have them?

I’m not sure about the multi packs and would include them. Or at least a possibility to stack up copies.
I pledged quite some games in the past and also in steam sales tend to buy one or two copies more if offered to gift those to friends later on without having someone particular in mind at the time buying.

I think the potential downside is if you have a few friends and there are multipacks available, you might buy one and then your friends have no need to pledge.

If multipacks are not available, then you need to persuade your friends to pledge (the sum of which is greater than a multipack) and they may decide to pledge for a higher tier.

1 Like

Our reservation against multipacks was that we felt the need to heavily discount the additional copies of the game. If we make the multipack tiers just an aggregate of the (KS discounted) base price ($20) + the sum of any extra goodies for the primary purchaser then I think that would work fine.

Speaking of which weren’t there those addon things on kickstarter? This way there would be no need for multipacks, and it would allow some people to maybe get other things (like color variations of special particle effects / ship decals or so? Depending how much the artists can be burdened with)

I couldn’t figure out if Kickstarter allows pledging multiple times. If not, then allowing people to pledge for 2, 4 and 6 packs of copies of the game would make sense. I would give them a bronze badge with 2, 4 or 6 stars on it, like the stars on service ribbons.

During my research, I hit a page observing that a limited number of reward tiers is a good idea. You’ve got 12 and I’m lobbying for three more. You might want to review the tiers and come up with some unifying approach so that people can understand at a glance what the backer levels are. As before, I think you’re missing a level of intimacy with the backers. The list reads more like a “Give us this and we’ll give you that” menu.

You’ve got Bronze, Silver and Gold badges. That’s a great start and should form the core of the backer structure. Just build out from there. Include a Platinum badge and then throw in some badge-related concepts for the stuff that piles onto the base badges. So the badges are not just thrown in for decoration, but are the backbone of your awards. For example,

Steel Supporters

Bronze Supporters

.2.
3.
4.

Silver Supporters

Gold Supporters

Platinum Supporters

Stellar Supporters

Given the “Stellar Supporters” mention, consider what folks brought up before, of not using an obvious hierarchy of metals/medals and instead go with some kind of astronomical terms. How about Nebula, Quasar, Comet and Black Hole? Or Asteroid, Moon, Planet, Star?

Yeah. Totally forgot about that too. I strongly agree and hope you won’t hold onto the “metals of increasing value” scheme. It’s also overused in games and indicates lack of imagination.

Ok then, Hydrogen, Carbon, Water, Ethylene, Acetylene… :wink:

6 Likes

What is the logic behind this ? EDIT : Oh I see !

I’d say “Hydrogen, Helium, Carbon, Neon and Oxygen” :smile:

Some Kickstarters use things like BackerKit to help manage pledge add-ons and upgrades. You could use something like that, or run a post-Kickstarter funding drive on the website (though that way lies danger).

1 Like

I’ve read the name BackerKit but haven’t looked into it, to be frank ^^’ I guess whatever helps during kickstarter, that doesn’t cost too much is good?

subsurfacegames also continued selling preorders of their zombie survival game after kickstarter succesfully ended. Not a funding drive but more of a preorder thing with instant access to different features based on the price you chose for your preorder… Might be interesting to talk about the cons and pros of that too somewhere in the near future.

1 Like

How about a “refer a friend” system?
Ok, you’re not into making anything like multipack, but what about giving those who bring you extra backers some gratitude?

Upgrading the forum badge, getting a special one depending of their patronnage counter …

What do I have to do to unlock the bearded googly eyed asteroid badge?

I’ll do anything…I’m committed to proudly and shamelessly displaying it

This was used in SC’s campaign. I believe there was a competition associated with it. Win a graphics card or joystick.
Speaking of that, has there been any interest from third party PC hardware companies to do any promotional competitions?