New gaming rig + whats everyone playing?

Bored of DotA? Try League of Legends :smiley:
Joke aside, there’s plenty to do around IMO. Depends what’s your taste.


Have you tried Portal? Kind of 3D puzzle with some robots … and a piece of cake :wink: The first opus is good enough story-wise, the second is even better. I doubt they’ll make a third one though.
In the puzzle area, there’s Mirror’s Edge too. Havent finished it yet (bought it during Steam’s Black Friday), but just as refreshing as Portal. You don’t get to see that many games go AAA on such a different concept than the usual ā€œFPSā€.

You like turn-based strategy ? You might have a go at ā€œCiv : Beyond Earthā€. I’m still sceptical as what the hell they tried to do with the game exactly. Not only for gameplay, but for the general UI as well. There’s no real tutorial, a lack that infuriates me the most for a modern game. However, if you liked previous Civs as I did, it both keeps some mechanics and introduces new ones that ain’t bad. And it’s in the future ^^

But I’d rather advise you to try ā€œEndless Legendā€. It’s like Civ 5, but not as simplified. Much more refreshing, IMO, than ā€œCiv : BEā€. It keeps the classical ā€œmedival fantasyā€ with a lot of interpretation and magic.

And if you’re more into the combat-turn, you might wanna try ā€œHeroes of Might and Magicā€. The n°5 is definitely worth the play, though the campaign is too lengthy for me (not playing at it though currently).


But as for now, I’ve just finished ā€œWolfenstein : The New Orderā€. Pretty nice overall. The end is more about sorrow than being bad, I don’t get why people get upset about it and always expect a happy ending.
Now I’m into ā€œShadow of Mordorā€. A ā€œbeat them upā€ oriented game, good fun killing orcs, anxious as what the hell they produced as scenario, being a LOTR book fan.


EDIT : as a recommandation, you might wanna try ā€œThe Stanley Parableā€. It’s more of an ā€œart gameā€ than anything else, but you’ll have some guaranteed laughter and there’s some serious reflexion about ā€œwhat’s a game reallyā€. There are several paths. Try as much as possible to make most on your owns, then see a guide to discover the hidden (and sometimes hard to find) ones.

2 Likes

I’ve just finally managed to play through The Witcher 2. So good, better in every aspect compared to the first one. Even though it is already a few years old it still looks absolutely gorgeous. It is currently the best RPG I’ve every played. :smiley:

Other than that I’m working on my backlog. I’ve tried playing the first Bioshock but it hasn’t really caught my attention. I’m having way more fun with the first Borderlands due to playing it in coop with a friend.

After that I think it is time I give both Portals a play.

ended up playing kerbal for a while. induced some fear about how hard infinity may or may not be

2 Likes

Probably not as hard as KSP.

Definitely not as hard as Orbiter

1 Like

I haven’t played Skyrim much since release and I’ve been getting excited reading about the mods that are out for it now.

I’m in the process of reinstalling Skyrim and going ham on all sorts of mods and game overhauls to play a basically entirely new game. The most important ones will be Requiem and Frostfall. Requiem fixes the leveling issues and overall makes the game much much more difficult and more akin to older RPGs where the world is the world and it’s hard as hell. Frostfall essentially adds weather that can kill you, so you need to have a tent, cloaks, warm clothing, etc to live through blizzards or heavy ran without freezing. There are a few more overhauls I’ll be running but mostly minor details when compared to what Requiem and Frostfall will change.

I’m excited to try it out but I have so few time in between classes, homework, sports, and soon to be work that I will only be able to get in an hour here or there. I’ll get there some time! Maybe I should spend less time on forums and more time gaming…

3 Likes

Skyrim is a nice enough game indeed. Some people point out that many aspects (specialization-wise) are not as evolved as the older ā€œElder Scrollsā€ (no pun intended ^^), especially ā€œMorrowindā€. The simplified system is mostly due to the console adaptpation.

Due to this, you might not consider Skyrim as a ā€œrealā€ RPG. If you’re more into creating your own character sheet, having some randoms thrown at you, secrets not at all obvious and quests with no markers on the map, I’d strongly suggest to you ā€œLegend of Grimrock 2ā€. First one is nice, but the ā€œall dungeonā€ type wasn’t that good IMO. Plus they improved a lot of things in the n°2.

Nonetheless, I consider ā€œSkyrimā€ a good game.

If you’re looking for some extra mods, you may want to look at those who add armors / weapons / items. The vanilla game isn’t diversified at all, and the extensions didn’t bring that much overall.
Also, I strongly suggest ā€œSkyUIā€ mod if you want the GUI to be more PC-friendly. Should be easy to find on the site ā€œNexus Modā€ :wink:

Try not to go overboard with the mods. Last time I played Skyrim I couldn’t help but install hundreds of them (seriously, though most of them were graphical), and then spent a week weeding out the incompatible ones before I could start a proper playthrough.

I know. I’m about to say I did play Oblivion, but I never played anything before that. I fell in love with Oblivion when I was younger. It was the greatest game I had played at the time and I loved all the options you had to do…whatever you wanted! I was super stoked for Skyrim(also It was my freshman year in college, so I was able to upgrade my pc to run it) and I was a little disappointed with what it had. I could see where the console port parts of the game got in the way of gameplay and what it would be like on the pc.

I have turned all of this off in my current playthrough, as well as added the survival mods and other mods that change the way the game is played and makes it MUCH harder. I consider it an RPG only because I’m choosing to play through like one, with all the difficulty and thoughtprocesses behind it instead of just following the questline.

Having said that, I’m always looking for new games and I will definitely look at Legend of Grimrock 2. Thanks for the heads up!

I have SkyUI and many graphical mods :smiley:

Too late…

According to my Mod Organizer I have only 44 installed. I haven’t had any conflicts. I did a lot of research between what mods worked with others and built it from the ground up to ensure I wouldn’t have many, if any, conflicts. I do have quite a few graphical mods, but they are just apart of the major overhauls that make the game look awesome.

There’s a utility called BOSS that should help weed out incompatible plugins and optimise load order and stuff for you. If you have more than 4 or 5 major content mods I’d consider using it, as it helps resolve incompatibilities and the like.

In addition to this, if you use Mod Organizer as opposed to Nexus mod manager, it has BOSS built it and will let you know if you have any incompatibilities and take care of that for you.

Yeah, but I like that NMM has good support for other games now too. I want to limit the amount of specialised modding clients I have floating around on my PC, especially now that the Steam Workshop can easily take care of most mods these days.

It’s a shame KSP haven’t added Workshop support yet, and that their mod developers have mostly gone with Curse rather than NMM. Though some have also got Github pages, which I prefer.

I don’t have too much time to play a wide variety so I can handle a separate manager for ksp, skyrim, and planetary annihilation.

Agreed(for ksp), I don’t think they ever will support it either. I know you just said you’re opposed to specialized mod managers but ksp has one called CKAN and it makes installing mods significantly easier and less time consuming…you just select what you want and click apply!

Edit: alot of modders put their stuff on kerbal stuff as well.

I always preferred the extra control that Wrye Bash gave for mod managing but perhaps other mod managers have caught up in features now. One of most useful features was the compatability patch generation. It wasn’t a magic button, mainly just merged leveled lists and a few other things, but along side other compatabilty tools like BOSS it helped.

Yeah. I prefer Github though, as I get emails when the developers push a new release out.

I would not recommend BOSS at the moment as it’s been superseeded by LOOT (same people, better system).

Having just (last week) set up 216 mods and made it all compatible (gosh, that was a 2 day binge) I had the pleasure of learning how to mod ā€œrightā€ā€¦

Google S.T.E.P and start there, it explains from scratch (as if you knew nothing) how to mod Skyrim ā€œcorrectlyā€ā€¦ It was a massive help, if only I knew about it earlier.

Try out Space Engineers! I think you would like it!