New user.
I viewed Obsidian Ant’s video on 30 Aug. I was hooked by the visuals. Battlestar Galactica firefight scenes have been a favorite of mine; plus, Bear McCreary’s soundtrack.
Pledging was easy. I was hung up on the credit card entry potion for a few minutes. Normally it is CC#, expiration, CVC. This entry added in billing zip in between expiration and CVC; my zip code was up in the address portion and my auto-fill skipped it on your webform.
Download was painless. Installation failed once; retried—worked.
Game launched without an issue.
The game started with the IB splash page. Went to another page then back to the original splash page. Did I go backwards in loading? Eventually loaded into the game menu.
By this point I had watched Hutch play for about 3 hours through YouTube. Through watching him I was able to understand the mission screen, how-to re-spawn to change ships, and how to reload. Without that video I would have been lost.
I’m not a fan of the ground segment. I would switch to a WW2 flight model with big ships just able to hover above the ground. Inty, bomber as their WW2 counterpart with dog-fighting.
Both ground and space need more defensive guns. It was not intuitive I could destroy the guns or structure for cash.
I played the interceptor; bomber, and corvette. All fun.
Inty; it seemed hard to hit other inty’s with guns. Bomber; fun; even more fun when I figured out there were torpedoes on board. Fixed v gimbals–I don’t agree with it, but Elite has fixed as powerful and gimballed, less powerful. As this is a more PVP centric game than Elite—this will take some balancing.
Corvette. I’m guessing guns I don’t control are under auto-fire AI? If so, the UI should indicate AI and activity.
The carrier should be able to reload and repair smaller ships. Repairing structures should have a place in this game.
When player counts are low; let the store open up to try the big ships to go break infrastructure.
The missile and torpedo lock-on sound needs to be a bit louder (maybe a visual clue)—or user defined. Maybe a UI indicator when you can fire the next salvo.
Close to the station; it could get really dark. Either more lights or night vision mode. During one episode, the station was exploding and shaking. I was next to it and shaking too.
Some of the attacking (AI?) pilots are hiding on the stations. Literally.
HUD/UI needs a little work. Plenty of forum posts on that one.
Mission locations; it was hard to tell if the distant location was in front or behind a planet. Dashed and greyed out is a normal convention for behind. Additionally, sometimes the font color blended into the background.
Please continue working on the economy. The economy develops and generates targets and gaming opportunities. On stellar geography—Elite has no fronts and no economy. It feels and looks dead. Eve is on the other side of the equation. In Eve, geography matters and they have jump gates. I’m not saying go the MOBA route with home bases and capture points; but choke points/lanes drive action.
Good luck.