Infinity Battlescape: Metagame

What would you say made GW1 so memorable vs GW2?

1 Like

Basically the same thing that makes Diablo2 so much more iconic and memorable than Diablo3.

People can say nostalgia and whatever for Diablo2, but why not Diablo1 then if nostalgia just makes old games better?

Guildwars 2 is a VERY different game than Guildwars 1. It’s quite good in its own right, but Guildwars 1 was something really new, that felt like Diablo2 in all the right ways, while also being sort of MMO-lite without being bad in the ways just about all the MMORPGs were.
It also had really amazing PvP that made it the ā€œcounterstrike of RPGsā€. Despite not having aiming and such, it was highly skill based, twitch based, very unique. But it had a lot to do for everyone besides PvP.

While most games had the leveling and item grind, GW introduced the ā€œachievement grindā€ which gave people that love to grind something to do yet without affecting the game at all for people that don’t.

GW2 is just much more like a typical MMORPG but without a monthly fee, and the PvP is not as good… which is a huge shame especially when the game is called ā€œGuildwarsā€. GW2 also seemed to die down a lot faster before its expansion and going F2P, while GW1 had people playing for years and years.

But that’s why GW2 is not going to reside in the coffers of games like GW1, Diablo2, Quake2/3, Doom, UT, Elite, and so on.
It’s not because it’s not old enough (GW was 2005 which isn’t that old) it’s just the games they make now are made in a way they hope reaches a wider audience with less discerning taste.
GW2 made the game far more like a typical MMORPG which is going to keep it out of those coffers. It’s not a special game. It’s just a game.

None of that really applies here though. It’s really hard to tell if you want to go more niche or more mainstream with a game like this to get the most success.

I’m just saying it’s going to difficult to design long battles in a way that people feel they’ve gotten some accomplishment in the 30 minutes or 3 hours they hop in for a day.

Planetside2 has its different maps and you can come on for just 30 minutes and maybe capture a territory or two on one map(and might not even do that).
But does capturing that one territory feel like you did anything? Does it feel like it matters?
Nope.
I’m speaking as someone who was very good at Planetside2, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXyJj611aAA
I didn’t mind that at all. I liked just going in and killing lots of people. But I knew that the way it works was going to not give the game lasting appeal, but the designers were incredibly bad and didn’t listen to people or watch the objective trends. I have a friend that works at Sony that I used to talk with which I can’t really go into about, but heard some really horrible things about what was going on.

One really fucked up thing was that the designers didn’t have any of the numbers for the balancing and such. It was all in completely illegible tables and hard coded stuff.
So instead they were using a tool I created ( http://www.ps2calc.com super outdated ) through datamining but they were didn’t know what they were doing and so had poor context of how to use those numbers and just made the game worse, while never fixing the overarching design issues.

A lasting appeal and getting people ā€œattachedā€ to a game is very important with these sorts of games.

1 Like

They distilled EVE nullsec into its own game while building mechanisms in to avert the Blue Donut.

What does that tell you?

1 Like

Haven’t followed EVE lately. What does that mean?

I know nullsec are the areas where anyone can fight. Do you mean Valkyrie? I’d say that’s a totally different game that’s probably much less niche than EVE Online.

And the Blue Donut thing? One coalition capturing it all? That’s never happened and there is no indication that it would.

Oh the success of D2 (and GW for that matter) had nothing to do with nostalgia - after all, that doesn’t have an effect until years after the fact.

The success of D2 and GW was caused by the lack of competition. Guild Wars was released in 2005. At the time, the only other MMORPG I’d even heard of which didn’t have a monthly subscription was RuneScape, and I’m not sure that game even had 3D graphics at the time, let alone any gameplay more interesting than ā€œgrind stuffā€.

Diablo 2 had Diablo to compete with, in it’s genre. Since both games were made by the same company, no money was spent advertising this competitor. Oh I’m sure there were other hack’n’slash games doing the rounds at the time, but again I never heard of them because they didn’t have the PR budget or word of mouth.

Personally I think Diablo 2 was a much better game than Diablo 3 and it had nothing to do with the available competition at the time. Diablo 3 was easily the worst Blizzard game I’ve ever played, I was truly disappointed with it.

3 Likes

That’s where I heartly disagree with you.
I’ve been playing GW1 since its origins and been a great supporter of GW2 project. Had a lot of fun, until I’ve seen the end game.

What made GW2 fall down compared to GW1? It all comes down to a few answers:

  1. Shitty ending. And I mean it. You’re supposed to battle a huge undead dragon, one of the end-time bringers. But the platform being on a moving airship, it was still buggy and the rushed end-development made the combat totally frustrating and uninteresting. This is also globally true for end zones that got rushed to meet the deadlines.
  2. Poor gameplay management when lots of player in one zone. Even with their ā€œinstanciedā€ zones, players participating in world events or going in WvW (big PvP) had big problems with culling, that only got resolved last year.
  3. Dungeons not that fun and limited to 5 players. They removed the ā€œhealerā€ character and everyone could potentially heal others / himself. However some were still better at protecting or dealing damage. This lead to regular abuse of over-efficent composition like ā€œall warriorsā€, and sadly little to no ā€œmesmersā€ (a control mage we can say).
  4. Exploit bots. Litterally teleporting from one node resource to another, gathering in one-hit, then moving on. They heavily hurt the game economy and when ANet fixed the loopholes, others were found. It took them a while to bury all the holes.

Those (mostly) technical problems made GW2 lose quite a lot of players that never truly came back, whatever regular ā€œstory questsā€ they released and whatever ā€œget an achievement for connecting to the gameā€ they made.


Was the game different from other MMORPGs? I would respond yes. They tried new things, some worked and other didn’t. The dynamic events, though a bit rough on the edges, are trully an inspiration for any future MMORPG out there. World events would have been a great idea were not for the grinding and culling problem.
I enjoyed the puzzle games which is a refreshing idea and not compulsory unless you aim that 100% achievement. I had fun when leveling up, which can’t be said for quite a lot of other games.

Unfortunately, the high level game was not there, unlike GW1 where the leveling could very easily be rushed.

What makes you say so?

Well, I would agree with Keith somewhat.

I loved Diablo, it was great. I liked D2 for the MP, and playing LAN with my brother.

When I sat down to play D3, I was like, meh, I’ve played this before. I tried to rekindle the old days playing MP with my brother, but we both got disinterested rather quickly. I could also blame it on the fact that I was turning age 40 at the time. When you get to be my age, games have a hard time impressing you, you may not think so, but just wait. It’s kind of sad…

2 Likes

From a narrative perspective, there is this video. A bit old - server connect has been fixed for a while and Path of Exile is long released - but with valid points regardless. It shows why some describe D2 and even more D1 as ā€œthick with ambienceā€, but not D3.
Interestingly, PoE does something different but simple and rather clever to raise the tension before meeting their Butcher-like Brutus (just in case, I won’t spoil it).
I’ll add, though, that calling D3’s story ā€˜decent’ is way too charitable; it was poor at best. (Which was a slight improvement from the pinnacle of wasteful incompetence that was unleashed on Starcraft 2’s narrative, actually.) And there were more disputable art choices than in the previous two. And also, they clearly didn’t understand the concept of D2’s Cow level.

This illustrates an important point, actually: even a minimal story can be told effectively, through other means than a wealth of ā€œtraditionalā€ (cut)scenes. You can tell quite a lot about the work’s universe and what happened in it through worldcrafting and presentation. A subset of ā€œshow, don’t tellā€(*).
A recent non-game example is Fury Road, where the carefully crafted setting pieces tell us as much about its universe than the story
.
The obvious example for I:B is ship design. At the simplest level, Centauran smooth, harmonious shapes tell something about them, as do SFC’s utilitarian look. Beyond design, there is probably not that much to be done in a game like I:B, but still an important point to keep in mind.

(*)
Actually, Diablo and Path of Exile do ā€œtellā€ as well, but avoid framing it as blunt narration. In addition to a better than average use of ā€œaudiologsā€, or rather as it is called in the video, ā€œepitaphsā€, the NPCs won’t simply tell you ā€œthere’s this really bad dude, here’s why he needs to be stoppedā€.
In D1, as seen in the video, the Butcher is introduced by the last words of one of its victims, right before the claustrophobic in-door crawl leading to him.
In D2, the first time you hear the name of Andariel is probably when you’re told how many of the local (sort of) Amazons were corrupted and joined her on the demons side; before you slowly discover the extent of her forces in the region - and you’ll spend quite some time actually fighting said corrupted Amazons. At this point, you don’t know who or what she is, or even if it is a she, IIRC.
In PoE, you are explicitly told by the NPCs to not go against Anda… I mean Merville(**). And as you continue to progress toward her, an NPC will call you a fool with a death wish, and with reasons. And the corruption/enslavement of the mind aspect is played more, including with some clever staging when you are approaching her. (Funnily, at first Merville, as a boss fight, was a pretty harsh difficulty spike - for a gameplay perspective, it was bad, but for a narrative perspective, it was very fitting.)

()
I’m a bit unfair. As much as I like Andariel(
*) and the Butcher, PoE was wise enough to simply copy them. Merville and Brutus are clearly inspired by them including in their place and role in the game, but are still their own characters (in their own game). That it’s fitting tribute, not plagiarism.

(***)
Which is for some unknown reason my favourite one-dimensional character ever.

1 Like

For me, it was the gameplay.

First thing, they made a bunch of powers, but dumbed it down to console levels with only being able to use 6 of them at once. Then they put several mechanics that discouraged switching them in and out. On top of that, there were some abilities that were lackluster. This quickly led to boring, repetative gameplay.

The monsters were stupidly easy up until you got to the second nightmare mode at the time and then they went 180 and became impossibly hard, though they went and fixed it later.

Finally, as was mentioned before. Ambiance. The gameplay felt closer to a bland adventure game than the previous and noticeably darker diablo games.

1 Like

It’s not like you’d really used all 6 abilities at once, in any game. Some of them can be auras / passives or long-CD skills. Also, in D2, you were supposed to heavily invest your skill points into one or two skills max, if memory serves, to be efficient.

As to discourage switching skills and items in D3, this was mainly to limit game breaking bugs and power spikes even though you had minimal gearing, before the console was even out.
I remember the ā€œbrick wallā€ in Caldeum’s desert, and also their first (and pathetic ^^) attempt to make legendaries truly useful. I dropped D3 until the extension came out and fixed a lot of things. I still don’t know yet If that was a genuine gameplay mistake or if it was a machiavelic marketing coup, coming from Blizzard.


EDIT: whoa, what was this thread’s purpose again? :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s looking in bad shape, almost as much as my avatar :smiley:

To answer the original post, if anything, a long-lasting MMO starts with bringing new stuff and making a first good impression.

That guy hits the nail on the head and summarizes my thoughts regarding the game perfectly.

Hay guise, lets kill Deckard Cain offscreen.

2 Likes

… And GW1’s ending and story was good?
They put no effort into it until Factions. And that was probably the high point.

2-4 describe ā€œmuch more like a typical MMORPGā€ just in more words. Not every MMORPG has the ā€œholy trinityā€ as well, and GW1 never had true tanks so it didn’t either.

GW1 was not an MMORPG.

Anyway. D2 left an impression because at the time it was impressive. It had really nice voice acting. It had a clever and addicting loot system. The skills and different builds you could do were cool.

D3, for the time it came out, it’s like… why would I want to play this junk? Especially with all the massive failures Blizzard repeatedly had with the real money trading system and many other things.
And from what I’ve heard from a lot of PoE players is that there’s just nothing to do in D3, that it’s just boring, unless there’s some big patch that drops that has some new content to get bored of after another 3 hours.

So yeah, sure, if you just released D2 today, it’d be crap. It’d be much worse than Grim Dawn outside of the voice acting and atmosphere D2 had. But D2 didn’t come out today.

GW1 though is still a game that holds up today game mechanics wise. There were a lot of masterpieces of its design.
And its programming too, with the streaming patches and never having downtime.


Anyway, the topic was how large and long battles could work in a way that doesn’t just sound neat on paper like when you’re watching a 7 minute scene from a movie, but actually playing it so doesn’t feel pointless. So it doesn’t feel increasingly frustrating when you’re on the losing side and can probably only do so much.

I’m not trying to be cynical, it’s just it’s something that does need working out. I point it out because I want it to be designed well and asking the questions that good design needs to answer helps that.

A lot of games have experimented with things like where winning one battle moves a front around that changes a map. That was like ā€œthe thingā€ to do for a few years because all the other developers were doing it and no one cared about it at all and it was so meaningless.
Then you have those browser ā€œMMORTSā€ games like Clash of Clans which are just awful.

The OP said he loves MW:o but that’s a pretty loathsome and unpopular game even if a few like it so not something to aspire to. No offense to people that like it, I’m not saying you aren’t allowed to like what you like, just that we want Infinity to be this big massive world teeming with life, right?

It seems like something that would work best if you had infantry to board ships and fight over ships for a good 12-25 minutes. That would then put a lot more perspective on the scale and timing of things than if you just had ships do horribly low TTKs.
But that’s not really in the scope of Infinity.

I remember on the old forums there was this idea that like what you would normally consider ā€œkillingā€ a ship could be doing only like 3-5% of its real total hitpoints in damage. Where you could spend hours to blast a ship into nothingness, but to simply ā€œsinkā€ it wouldn’t take that much and then you could take their cargo and blah blah and leave someone else or that ship’s owner to deal with the ā€œwreckā€.
But that’s out of the scope of I:B.

So I:B is shooting for 150-200 players right?
What can one player do that is going to make an impact if they have the skills/tactics?
Are like 90% of players going to be relegated to a fighter?
What is the goal length for a ā€œmatchā€ in I:B?

2 Likes

That’s one of the goals, yes.

Pilot a capital ship. Scout out resource nodes. Mine resources. Build structures and emplacements. Disrupt the other team’s efforts to do the same. Just off the top of my head.

Doubtful. Considering that a clip of the opening space battle from Revenge of the Sith was confirmed as an example of the kind of experience that the devs are trying to create, I think it’s safe to assume that medium, large, and capital ships are going to be plentiful.

Unless they get that much funding. Then no one gets capitals.

Ideally? Days or weeks, until one team manages to gain uncontested dominance of the map, at which point it would reset.

Otherwise? Minutes.

1 Like

It is heartening to see that nearly two years after I created this topic, literally none of the extremely important questions posed (or that are still being posed) have been answered in a definite way. At least we have the kickstarter to look forward to… soonā„¢

2 Likes

Actually I think Keith answered you question in this reply to someone else ā€œI:B is about getting the tech stable and building out the foundation for the team and company infrastructure we need to really tackle as something as big and complex as the MMO we want to build. The plan is to build the MMO after I:B if possible.ā€

We’ve described what Battlescape is, yet many still want MMO-like features. As an example, you’ve asked about a galaxy map with territories, but we’ve described many times I:B takes place in a single solar system. In any event, our Kickstarter page will explain the proposed gameplay/funding goals in more detail than we have to date on our forums, so please stay tuned for that.

4 Likes

I think you’ve misread my paragraph.
Battling a huge dragon is epic and good. The bad ending was rather on a technical side: the combat gameplay was so poor and glitchy that I didn’t enjoy it.

GW1 was first of all simpler to code and the end battles were somewhat more interesting.
Don’t read me wrong either on this: vanilla GW1 had huge plot holes, and the only story I really enjoyed was the last extension ā€œEye of the Northā€. All the others were going up, quality wise, until Eye, but had those annoying ā€œMenhloā€ guys (aka undying but useless NPC that shouts obvious things while you try to survive).

Also, the background and detail given to every area (much less in high level one though) is really good and the main reason why I loved leveling up and visiting all the areas in GW2.

You mean like not being able to jump at all? Yeah, totaly a classic masterpiece to be used again in MMOs.
Again, GW2 has innovated in its domain. Not to sound too caustic but it looks like you’ve ignored all the good sides of GW2 I’ve mentionned.
Dynamic events should definitely be the future of any MMO and the WvW (world vs world) holds some pretty intersting stuff also. Don’t know much about the ā€œclassicalā€ arena though, haven’t played them at all.

I don’t see much the point of it, especially in a battle with a lot of players. Also, the pilotable ships so far have only one person as a crew.

I’ll go ahead and make some shameless auto-highlitghting: not so long ago I’ve suggested what could be interesting to be used in a space MMO. Anyway, not it the direct scope of I:B, but there could be some ideas to be recycled.
I’ll just leave this link here :wink:

1 Like

You seem to have missed the entire purpose of this thread so I guess I’ll explain it again: this thread is about the long term playability of the game. Once a player has completed one campaign/match/war/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, why should they play the next one? or the one after that? or the one two years from then?

A territory map was a (quite basic, actually…) suggestion that would keep large groups of players focused for longer periods of time since they had a larger goal to work towards. It also helped to demonstrate what the thread was about. I do not consider it an ā€œMMO-likeā€ feature. Arena shooter games such as World of Tanks and MechWarrior Online both have similar versions of what I am talking about, and especially in World of Tanks case, it has kept the player-base interested far longer than it should have.

These are serious issues that should not be ignored, especially when your existing fan base is as small as it is (and appears to be shrinking). Personally, if you guys released I:B today, and it was just a week long campaign for a solar system that reset every week… I’d play it for exactly one week and then probably drop it and go back to something more rewarding.

I mean look, heres the deal, I wouldn’t still be around on these forums if I didnt want inovae studios to succeed. I’ve been a member of this community for almost ten years now, which is just ludicrous to me when I think back on it, and I think that says something, but the point is that even I wouldn’t keep playing a simple space shooter for more than a week if I didn’t feel like I had purpose. The only reason I keep playing MWO is because I’m heavily involved in its (admittedly laughable) e-sports scene, which gives me a sense of purpose (no thanks to you if you are reading this, PGI…).

What sense of purpose will the player have in in I:B? From what I can tell, your answer is a firm ā€œthey don’t need oneā€.

1 Like

….just got the itch to add something… so here goes:

I think Inovae has
to decide what kind of game they want to create.

hmm what kind of games do we have in this genera……

1)Long term progress
I believe games like Mechwarrior Online, War Thunder, World of Tanks, Star conflict and not only them:
EVE – although full blown MMO – all play the card of long term investment.

Essentially in these games player progression is relatively slow.
You would need many months to gain access to a certain vehicles in these games.
In case of EVE it can be decades !

Have you ever used cheat or exploit in some action RPG game like Diablo ?
Game where the gameplay and atmosphere is the very important element ?
Where storytelling takes second (or even third…) seat.

If you did, suddenly game became ….boring.
If your avatar gets too much power in every situation - game looses its atmosphere.
You no longer have much to strive for.

So in these games
(MWO,WT,WoT….) there has to be something to tease you.
You need to see that carrot dangling there in the distance.

  • For this to work we would need a substantial number of vehicles.
    (this might be our problem)

2)Short term progress
Then there are games like Counter Strike…… Crossfire i guess…… (Killing floor ?)
hmmmm this never occurred to me.
Seriously there really is not that many games like CS ….interesting

In case of CS, every player should more or less be able to gain access to any equipment in the game in time of one match.

  • These games tend to attract pro gamers
  • Balance can be issue
  • Location diversity

3) Team deathmatch
Team fortress, Unreal tournament, Battlefield series

No progression here just pure RAMPAGE ! :slight_smile:

  • maps maps maps
  • balancing

4) Mobas
DOTA + League of legends, Stellar impact
Blend of 1) and 2)

In case of Dota:
Progression here isn’t the long term goal, but the means to be useful in the match.
All players can use every equipment and character from the start
(well almost from the start)
It is fascinating that, so many players keep playing game on the one single map for
years :slight_smile:

  • Main draw is most likely in the good balance and teamplay
    mixed with
  • giant variety of skills and equipment.

League of legends, Stellar impact:
these two are special, they have progression from group 1)

where in Dota, there are same conditions for everyone.

I have a feeling that Inovae is aiming at something like this….
But who knows how will it work with such giant scale.
And also ….that ship and equipment variety could be REALLY big problem here.

5)?
Or perhaps they want to mix it with elite/privater like elements.

There were games such as Hardwar , Sub culture , Aquanox(oh look who i found :slight_smile: )
That didn’t need the galaxy sized world to work.

But how would it work with multiplayer….?

???)??!!
Or something completely original :slight_smile:

It all most likely again boils back to money issue.
Depending on the game funding we get different game style…. funny
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:… … :slight_smile: .…… :neutral_face:……. :confused: … ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ