Ideas for the Kickstarter

Ugh please no…

He’s nothing but trouble. Please don’t throw fuel on that fire.

@NavyFish
We’re lucky he picked RG first, as he says in the video that he was just off the plane and recording before going to work.

Hutchins in that video’s comments tells Scott that the next IB demo has more content and that they’d try to get it to him… Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Sounds exactly like when I was searching for a job last year…

Who is Derek Smart and why is he so controversial?

Perhaps I’m just old school, but how about calling them on the phone? Surely the big sites have a phone number you can call.

I spent about 10 minutes sleuthing a number for PC Gamer. They’re owned by Future US, Inc., which has offices in New York and San Francisco. The New York office number is (212) 768-2966. They also have a number of other computer entertainment properties.

5 Likes

That’s a great call (ba-dum - ching!). Honestly though, yeah. What’s the worst that could happen? An intern picks up and does nothing with the call?

Then I’m even more excited to see that video! GIMME MOAR! I really hope @INovaeGene has the reddit AMA ready to go by that point - timing it with the Scott Manley video would be a clutch maneuver.

4 Likes

We have 3 weeks+ left. I do wonder how much/little the Inovae team has left [to showcase]. Man, it’s gotta be pretty tense from their position at this point. :slight_smile:

Ars Technica is not on that list. Will you guys contact them? I would instinctively suggest contacting them ~1 week-10 days before the end so that they have enough time to test/write a review on the latest possible build of the KS demo.

2 Quick thoughts here:

1: Being drawn into the shitslinging between D.S. and Star Citicen would be fatal for us, we are way too small and in such a critical phase we can not afford to waste any energy, momentum, goodwill or backers on stuff like that. Only safe approach: FULL IGNORE MODE. Do not comment on it, do not appear to take sides. Ignore it and be safe. That way, we can take endorsements from either side without too much negativity attached.

2: Big media outlets follow their own rules. What is completely uninteresting now can become the new hype tomorrow. Very hard to tell from the outside. The only safe way to get articles is by giving them money for advertizement - not gonna happen. Speculation: If we hit the minimum goal with sufficient time left in the campaign for them to react, a few articles about the successful funding might appear and help us with stretch goals. The sooner we hit minimum funding, the better the chance for that to happen. Successful kickstarter is more newsworthy than a new one starting.

7 Likes

Unfortunatly the professional gaming press is pretty much a promotion engine for large publishers. When was the last time anybody ever saw an article about an indie game without a publisher on ign? I can’t remember that ever happening. The only time ign even posted about indie games was when sony advertised their “indie” community.

7 Likes

PLEASE let’s get some hype on Youtube etc. Someone like TotalBiscuit surely would help? I had an account on Infinity Quest for Earths website so many years ago IDK what it even is I’m pretty much ripping my dick off hoping this thing gets made. COME ON LADS LET’S GET TO IT! The devs are great but maybe not the best communicators, hence the need to get as many other voices in on the act as possible.

7 Likes

lol, welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

RPS did a paper on Infinity at last. I sent them some emails to check it out, maybe some of you also did that and that’s what got their attention. Either way, one of the big(ger) sites has finally actually bothered to take a look at infinity at least :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Finally. I’ve just sent them an e-mail today and then this.

That is one insulting article though… I really hate the way it’s written.

5 Likes

No need to. Though I might need help with comments, one of them was:

Those are either some incredibly huge mountains, or that’s an incredibly small planet.

Not sure how to respond since I don’t know the scale of the planet in this video.
I’m guessing the lack of clouds also tricks the eye into thinking they are too tall, personally I have no real problems with their height. (maybe someone else than me could write as well, I might look too fanboy’y if I’m the only one answering a bunch of stuff there).

Ye, they are taking the vaporware title as far as they can :confused:

Send him a video of tars flying around.

isnt he just like a failed video game maker who is salty about star citizen? i hear his games suck so i dont particularly like him or his games and i dont live in fear of people who like him and his games. unless those people wanna hurt me or my family, why would people be scared of them? i think there’s a pretty massive middle ground. i have pledged like 150$ to star citizen and im not disregarding infinity. you assume to much and take everything to extremes.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I have sent this letter to the author of that RPS article:

And all of you should send such a letter, if there’s enough correct opinion expressed it should pressure the author into taking another look. At least I hope so.

1 Like

Ok, i know i am beating a dead horse here and there is no way to change the way those pre-produced videos are, but for the future, please, for the love of all thats good and great about this game, stop underselling yourself so badly.

There are some basic rules about how you sell something, and a pitch or promotion video is all about selling your idea, your game, your project.

Rule one: Never start with the bad news! A bit of self - criticism is ok as it can transport the message that you are a honest guy. But start with the good! ALWAYS!

Rule two: Get to the point RIGHT AWAY! You can make some detours arguing or explaining a point, but the viewer needs to get the message that the video is about the content he expected to hear about! You can not afford to start with things that are irrelevant to the core message!

Your latest kickstarter page update is a strong example how of you undersell yourself by breaching such very basic and well established rules of selling something.

Example one: You tell people they wont find new footage in the narrated gameplay video, before they have even seen it. Do not tell people what they do not get, tell them what they get! Tell them this is narrated gameplay footage explaining some core concepts of battlescape! Be positive about it! Point out the value of the piece of media to their interests!

Example two: You spend the first 2 minutes of the video apologizing for video quality and for your computer, and reiterating the part about the seamless engine. For a video supposed to talk gameplay, this is simply not relevant! I am a fan, and you lost me there. Get to the point, get there fast!

I could do more detailed criticism, but that would not be constructive at this point of time, for i know you guys are super hard pressed for time and are working your ass off to get the message out there. But for the ongoing effords and for the future, please keeps those two basic rules very close to your heart and mind! You are underselling your product badly, in particular Flavien through his humble and modest nature.

I propose the following quick sanity check for future written and narrated text: The author shows it to everyone in the team and asks one question: “Am i underselling what we have?” If one team member answers with “yes”, you are underselling.

In that case, review the bit of media you have there. Are you talking about what you do not have? Are you talking about weak points? Are you making excuses/apologies? If any of the above is true: See if you can simple leave it out. You probably can. If you feel it is vital to include it, move it towards the end of the media piece, and make it as short as possible.

I am sorry if any of this sounds harsh in face of the stress you are going through, but i felt being blunt and short about it was neccessary, because you are doing yourself a disfavour.

11 Likes

Uh, no please. This is massively unconstructive and can only end badly. Also, we do not try to win this guy. We try to win his audience. He says there is no gameplay? Put livestream video in comments. He says vapourware? Link IMGUR album. He says all but a dream? Tell people its 50% funded in less than a week.

Always carry a POSITIVE message! You can not fight negativity with negativity.

6 Likes