I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

That lava river looks just fantastic!

3 Likes

I love the sound design on in that video. So awesome hearing the ship even when the thrusters were off. I remember the hype about ED’s sounds, but this is so much better in my opinion…

I still can’t believe it’s happening. Where did the time go? :smiley:

5 Likes

Yay, the battlescape page is fixed on mobile now :smile:

I’d suggest adding this to the header of the page:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, user-scalable=no, maximum-scale=1">

Then it won’t be possible to zoom the page which makes it more ‘stable’.

3 Likes

What’s the logic of having trees on a barren volcanic planet, “hey we can put trees down, why not”?

1 Like

@Hutchings I noticed a square towards the end of the vid. My insatiable curiosity demands I inquire what it was targeting! :wink:

Just placeholder microdetail I guess

1 Like

Obviously these trees are not the final version of vegetation. Also a planet could have alien life that looks like that. The shown planet had an athmosphere, why not. I think its a great indicator of the size of the world.

2 Likes

It seems someone was having a heavy space battle before the approach to the planet… because I crashed into ALL the things and still got 95% health left :wink:

1 Like

I’m very curious about what the markers and gauges on the HUD do.

The leftmost one appears to be a boost indicator, as each time it is drained, you hear the cool engine sound and the speed increases as the meter drains.

No idea about the colourful one to the left with the “<”. Health maybe?

The right one is probably altitude in some way. Maybe above “sea level” as it does not change when flying over hills or ravines. The “>” seems to be a throttle indicator for the main engines.

Anyone have any theories about the dark blue, light blue, orange and yellow markers on the hight gauge? They move around a bit as the ship flies around, but I can not figure out what they represent.

We also have two, or maybe just one, other things marked by different targeting indicators, prograde indicator, forward indicator and a warning sound as the ship enter the atmosphere.

You’ll never figure the blue ones out :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You just made me watch the video 6 more times while observing the rightmost gauge carefully.

Still don’t know what the small colour indicators do, but realized that the main white bar cannot be altitude, as it is increasing slightly in the beginning of the video as the ship descends. It correlates somewhat with speed, but not perfectly. Could by magnitude of acceleration or something.

1 Like

We’re planning to release a gameplay video right after the KS campaign has launched. I’ll demo the prototype with commentary, and will go into more details as to what all these little things do.

You’ve already figured out the left bars, the right bar is the speed meter ( altitude is displayed as text on top of it ). The white arrow is a target speed indicator. Your current speed is the white bar itself ( numbers also displayed under it ), but your target speed is different: this is the speed your flight-auto assist computer/mode tries to match at any time if you don’t give any input to the controls.

Ignore the visual design of the HUD for now, it’s just a quick draft madre by André as a placeholder and looks nothing like what it will be in the real game. It’s just used to demonstrate functionality.

8 Likes

I like it though :stuck_out_tongue: … didn’t like what you and Junaum agreed on back in the day … but eh. I’ll be one of the Developer Access guys anyway. :wink:

3 Likes

Totally agree, I prefer a minimalist clean hud too, especially when the game environment looks so great. :grimacing:
Please no “super-fancy” ultra-complicated interface!

5 Likes

That was a HUD being designed for an MMO, this is a different animal.

1 Like

Not really. The HUD that Junaum iterated towards with input from Flavien was rather simple in the end.

Maybe I can dig it up. I know it’s controversal today as it was back then and I can remember that my favourite design probably wouldn’t have worked with every background. Here’s my favourite:

Pendrokar posted them earlier this year.
Dug out some later iterations … I don’t think those were the later ones but yee … they are a little too crowded:

2 Likes

The lava in general looks fantastic, with the lava itself apparently illuminating things around it with a soft glow. It’s a beautiful visual.

Double please. Don’t require me to have that crap on my screen in order to play the game. Always try to find a way to make the game playable with minimal HUD artwork. A HUD is not a game feature. It’s a necessary evil, like 2D.

2 Likes

Interesting comment on the Youtube video:

Hey I Nova studios , I strongly recommend you put the kickstarter date on screen somwhere as only a portion of viewers read the video caption. My background involves social media reach and we’ve noticed better reach with on screen as well as caption important info. I want the game to be as successful as possible!

Sounds like a good idea for any future videos.

4 Likes

Yes. My fault. I am up against my bandwidth cap on my 4g internet at my house, so had to lug my desktop to my parents house last night to make this vid in time and not incur overage charges when uploading. I kind of rushed the video editing and didn’t think about adding the KS date.

I do think that is a good idea, only issue is, there will be videos months/years from now with the KS date in them. Youtube does not allow a video to be replaced, so those vids would be like that forever. So I am debating with myself whether or not to do this for the next video.

2 Likes

By then people will be watching new battlescape videos anysways. :grinning: Who wants to see alpha footage of an already released game…

You could also use Youtubes annotation feature, I think those are always editable.

2 Likes