This was my problem. Thanks.
Yeah, I got caught out by that a couple of times. Iāve also had to think twice when picking bounties. Iām currently in the Empire border system of Mwamen, and occasionally the Empire faction in that system will have members of their own faction with bounties on. I figured itās probably not worth taking those on, considering that I want to make friends with the Empire.
I really hope they have something more planned for mining, itās a very dry experience.
taking bounties out on people barely affects your reputation with the faction, if at all. i stick in federation systems often with 2-3 federation factions, and i usually target the 2 federation factions who arenāt on top if they have bounties on them, but im up to āalliedā with the federation just doing a few missions here and there.
It was a bug at gamma release, they patched it. Your faction reputation would drop with the faction of the target even if he had a wanted bounty on him. They fixed this. However you still donāt get faction reputation increase for killing wanted ships, I think this will be patched at some point. This was actually one of my ticketed bugsā¦
So Iāve watched videos on elite all day now and Iām really on the fence. I was primarily watching a guy flying with flight assist off which is probably more my style. I like the full Newtonian control although I know itās limited due to yaw/pitch/roll rates. Iām not a fan of planes in space flight styles so I donāt know if its enough.
How is everyoneās experience with flight mechanics and how do you like game? From Arkās responses he seems to be having a let of in-game setbacks which arenāt entirely a bad thing. Challenge is good sometimes. Ark, how are you doing now?
Edit: I forgot to ask: Who flies with a joystick and who flies with a kb and mouse? Iād be flying with by kb and mouseā¦but I always have and Iāve never gotten used to it. What do you prefer and why?
I find the flight model in Elite Dangerous to be very enjoyable. Combat is excellent, and watching space roll around you makes for a very fun experience. I believe Frontier definitely made the right decision by limiting the yaw as the handling is lots of fun. Now this is coming from someone who really enjoys flight simulators, but trust me, the flight mechanics really are far superior to Star Citizen.
I really enjoy the game, and unlike Arkbrien, I have had very few setbacks. Iāve had a few, and everyone does, but Iāve never made the same mistake twice. I like the challenge the game presents and am happy with the difficulty. I think Arbrienās experience is overall atypical, and once you learn the ins and outs of the game, youāll die pretty rarely.
I actually fly with an xbox 360 controller for windows, which works quite well. I have played with the keyboard and mouse and donāt worry, the game plays very well on that too. A joystick is unquestionably the best experience, I simply donāt use mine with elite because has neither a hat switch nor a yaw function, but if youāve got the proper joystick, then that is without a doubt the way to play the game.
Iām doing much better now. Iāve never taken flight control off yet. Going to have to eventually try that.
I play with my faithful cheap Logitech Extreme 3D pro. Trust me, this is the stick you will want to get if you are looking for a cheap and reliable entry model. For ~35$, it canāt be beat. The only thing I have against it in this game for whatever reason is the throttle. The game interprets the throttle as full forward, full reverse, so I have to use the w/s keys. Which is fine, because all the other flight controls are on the keyboard.
Been hauling some pretty rocks back and forth in a tight 13Ls loop in my Adder. My internet is on the fritz so I havenāt been able to play except late at night, but my latest haul was about 140k - 100k from swatting pesky pirates with the local police and 40k from selling silver, berty, and gallite. 
I splurged and got a camo for the Cobra MKII, so thatās my next ship. I have 290k in the bank right now aiming for roughly 650k before purchasing. 
Wow, thatās like totally opposite of how I feel about the flight model, itās preventing me from playing/enjoying the game atm.
It takes some getting used to, it was a design decision and it works very well if you stop fighting it and give it a fair chance.
I have to say, I had a lot more fun with X-Rebirth, and that had hella bugs.
So itās safe to say that IBS wonāt have yaw restrictions? 
Not if I can help it! I should add, within reasonā¦
I think a reasonable balance is what you want. You donāt want it like star citizen where yaw is way too fast and you black out or red out from looping. Star Citizen is probably the most boring flight model I have ever experienced. I think a lack of yaw works very well for Elite, but for Infinity you probably want more. As long as the flight mechanics are fun, I think people will accept and enjoy them. Iād say, do whatever it takes to make the game fun! 
I think there should be as much yaw as pitch and rollā¦thereās no reason not toā¦if anything with a long ship your yaw thruster have more torque around the com and it should turn fasterā¦
I did cave and buy it yesterday. I only played it a little and now Iām leaving to snowboard for a week so I wonāt be able to play it for awhile unfortunately.
My first impression is basically frustration with the lack of yaw control. I should be able to do the spin move and fly backwards and shoot like they showed in the trailer⦠In evochron mercenary you are required to fly like that but thatās more of an engine limitation for reasons that are too long to discuss hereā¦from what I remember from the ICP it didnāt have these restrictions and allowed a lot of freedom in the maneuvers you could make
I think you can edit that in the controller settings, but it isnāt as clear as it should be. I have the same joystick though, but I donāt consider that to be too much of a problem. I do highly recommend it (though Iām looking to replace mine with the X52 when finances allow).
I use a joystick, mostly because I already had one when I got Elite so it kinda makes sense, but I find itās helpful for combat because you can do complex manoeuvres, whilst maintaining the ability to fire and do other activities without completely contorting your hands in a keyboard and mouse set-up.
If you get or use a joystick, Iād recommend getting one with a yaw axis; the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a fairly sturdy example that can be found relatively cheap.
EDIT:
I didnāt find the yaw to be particularly limited, but then I didnāt expect much since my joystick has a fairly small yaw axis
EDIT2:
I also realised pretty quickly that if you play with your throttle whilst making turns, you can get a lot more response. So you can pitch and yaw somewhat faster if you cut your throttle whilst changing direction, then slamming the thrust back on as you pass the apex of your turn (much like racing a car, in a sense). I also use the hat for the manoeuvring/docking thrusters, which can sometimes give you that extra swing to bring back your target lock.
you cant black out or red out from yaw in star citizen. You can red out in ED, but not black out, from pitch.
IMO, SC is a much better system. Itās very close to the infinity combat prototype in design.
Original Elite had only pitch and rollā¦
This is why i donāt mind that theyāve done what theyāve done. In fact, i love that theyāve chosen a different flight model so we can have variety in the genre.
But if it was a game i was making iād choose something completely different, heh.
Started Elite:Dangerous today for the first time ⦠they definetly got some cool features ā¦
Even though flight assist of is indeed kinda hard to control without direction assit it is still fun ā¦
![]()
I also just saw how they fade in those rocks by flying far away and then restarting the scenario. They grow slowly until they reach their full size.