Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

I like the shredded texture.

I wonder if we can combine the more classical look of LucasFIN’s with a contemporary/futuristic look.

2 Likes

Of @IllOO’s many images, I like the simple O-around-G ones the best. I don’t mean to demean the use of the images, but I can see them as stamps on cargo and such. Just the essential statement of “This is Old Guard stuff”. It is more utilitarian in nature.

I do agree that the infinity formed of an O and a G is clever. Unfortunately, with the needed break for the overlap, it looks quite a bit like C and G as well.

I’m not sure I want the word TOG being bandied about. “Togs” are clothes, though it seems that “tog” is a measure of thermal insulance.

I agree with Lucas, anything doing something interesting with the infinity loop like that gets my approval. I’d use the rounded OG loop (keeps it closer to the traditional infinity loop) and incorporate it into a larger design. As a smaller badge though the OG loop might be all you would need.

1 Like

I like that planet ring :slight_smile: Should be higher to be more balanced though.

1 Like

That’s my favorite too… to be honest I’m not a fan of wings, but I think a shield based design needs something on the outside of the shield. Asteroid ring being my best idea (and most easily achievable in paint).

Don’t take this as entry

I like the idea of infinity sign mixed
with hourglass. (i like symbolism :slight_smile: )

so i’ve been playing with it …but
still have problem implementing word
(or meaning of) “guard” into
it somehow…
Slapping letter “G” on the
planet feels cheap…

coloring it doesn’t help either

And it doesn’t really look like much of
a logo …more like the icon.

Feel free to use any part of it

3 Likes

3rd round. Experimented with the shield theme. I feel I come closer to the final design… Nr. 07 is my absolute favorite because on a second glance it looks like a face :wink:

13 Likes

Love your designs IIIOO, really clean and iconic. I especially like number 7 in this batch because it looks like a winking owl.

2 Likes

I think up to this point, IIIOO’s No7 is the most iconic. It’s very clean, yet hits all the marks on what it is supposed to convey. I think some of the other entries are too ornate.

I don’t see how a minimalist, modern icon communicates anything about an “old guard”. Rename “The Old Guard” to something like “First To Infinity” and I’d be more inclined to agree.

I guess I don’t subscribe to the notion the logo has to look dated & ornate, like a presidential seal or the like. However, I tend to look at this through the eyes of an inhabitant of the Infinity Universe ~10,000 years from now as opposed to a bunch of guys on a forum in the year 2015. Even though iirc, Lucas said there would be no lobbying to have this in-game at some point.

Having said all that, I just think the “less is more” aspect of the design is really good :slight_smile:

Edit, lol @ screwing up less is more.

5 Likes

I agree Nr. 7 is the best one of the seven :smile:

And it is a good thing that we get a choise between completely opposite styles, like old vs. new.

True! :open_mouth: And that’s a good thing since owls are “old and wise” :wink:

Perhaps use an owl as the heraldic animal in the coat of arms? Provided this is not the CoA already. I was assuming you were going for the logo first, but I guess this could be both.

I too prefer IIIOO’s simpler approach.

Something different, now. A kind of planetary shield or something :]

8 Likes

This I like very very much…

While I like the use of the OG, #7 doesn’t really sit well with me. My overall favorite of your designs so far is actually from your first batch, middle black one. Simple, ‘shieldlike’, good use of the loop, and I love the font (reminds me of Skyrim). It’s got hints of age, but stays crisp and modern.

I also like that you aren’t coloring them, maybe you will later but if a logo cant work well in black and white then its probably too complex.

I feel that OG sounds better than TOG. Like if it was used in a sentence.

Ps:
Some awesome work that you guys have done. I wouldn’t be able to choose if it was up to me to pick one, they are all so good, well done, keep them coming, cant wait to see more. What ever one dose get chosen I know that I will not bedisappointe

I doubt we will be making Roll ups, business cards or brochures as part of a corporate Identity for OG so I figured I should suggest some actual items in addition to the logo and/or crest that could be made.
.


  1. Header graphic to be used in the OG thread (690x300px)

The first post graphic. Contains the name of the group, the logo / the crest and some graphical elements.

  1. Heading graphic (690x80px)

Since we might not be too concerned about SEO I thought it would be cool to make some graphical headings in the OG thread. So put in some graphical elements and some Lorem ipsum filler text written in your chosen font.

  1. Profile background image (1700x620px)

The default size for the profile bg image is 850x310px. But since the image is going to be scaled bigger as you view the site from certain screen sizes I would suggest doubling the dimensions. Hence 1700x620. Note! The light grey info bar on the bottom will overlap with the image.

  1. User card background image (580x232px)

The user card bg image does not change it’s size. It will always appear in the size of 590x236px (it is said to be 590px wide in profile preferences but I measured only 580px).

  1. Optional tag for regular profile bg images (280x175px)

If you use the before mentioned size for the profile bg image then there is a safe area of roughly 180x175px in the upper middle part of the image. This area will retain decent margins around it no matter what device you are using to view the page:

I made templates for the profile background image and the user card image that has all the profile elements like username and profile image on their own layers on top of the image. I think it’s useful to know where these elements will be so that you won’t place any important detail below them:

.
You can get the template for the profile background image and the user card image here:

6.Graphical guidelines

A small guide with the chosen colors, typography and different ways the logo can be used etc. This doesn’t have to be too extensive. Just the basics.

5 Likes

Here’s an attempt on the profile bg image.

Note! This is not the tag on a regular bg image but an actual OG background with the OG logo.

And a with some scaling of the browser window:

Edit: Not sure about the top line…

Edit2: I don’t like how most of the continents are blocked by the dark area. Perhaps just have the planet horizon there without the continents like in the crest?

4 Likes

I would add gradients and 3 dimensions (basically push the shapes out of the background) to it to make it really pop in the right spots.